Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge, Please!

Hello!  Looks like it's time for another round of Wednesday Hodgepodge, hosted by Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.  Each week a set of questions are posted, and participants post their answers accordingly.   So, here goes...

1)  When it comes to good manners, what two top your list as most important?

Answer:  Well, for one, I wish I'd hear more of two simple words, "Excuse me".  I never liked crowds, and most probably because it's a perfect example of the notion "Every man for himself".  If you cut in front of someone, or you accidentally bump into someone, then say "I'm sorry", or "Excuse me".  It's just a little pet-peeve of mine, I suppose; but I mean...   Is it really that difficult?!..  Really?!!

Second,  I think the polite and very simple act of saying "Hello", with a smile, is becoming almost obsolete!..  While I'm sure most people don't mean to be rude, indifferent, or selfish, and I guess some people consider it as just "minding one's own business", in my opinion, it sure does make one a appear to be just a big ol' grouch..  or shall we even say snob!!..

It's both funny and sad to me, that I find an older person tends to look surprised that anyone thinks to be so courteous anymore, while the younger generation seems to look at you like, "Who the bleep are you?!  Do I know you?"...  These days, I just think that perhaps while parents are teaching their kids self confidence, and "Don't speak to strangers", they should still teach their children good manners.

"The hardest job kids face today
is learning good manners without seeing any."
~Fred Astaire

No, I didn't teach my kids to walk up to a stranger's car if they offered them a piece of candy...  And no, I didn't leave it up to my public education system to teach it FOR me...  Street smarts are still very important, but here's a little something that says it well...

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others.  
If you have that awareness, you have good manners, 
no matter which fork you use."   ~Emily Post

If you see an old man on the street, walking his dog, then just maybe consider the possibility that this dog might be the ONLY friend he HAS!  Say "Hello", and maybe, if you can manage a smile to go with it, even muster up a "How are you today?"  While it might not seem like much to you, it may mean the world to him!..  We all feel lonely once in a while, for one reason or another, and we're all gonna grow old someday.  "Love thy neighbor".  You don't have to send roses...  Just say "Hello"..  Offer to help him rake his leaves..   Make a batch of muffins, and bring him over a few; or if you're making a coffee cake, then make TWO, and send one over to him/her!
  
 (Country Apple Coffee Cake..  See recipe HERE)

Wouldn't something like that make YOUR day, if someone was to do that for YOU?...  If even something so nice hasn't happened to YOU, then rise above it, and set an EXAMPLE!   I seem to remember something (ahem) somebody once said...

"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, 
do so to them.."   ~The Holy Bible, Matthew 7:12

Well, so there!..  THAT was a long answer!!!  
Are you sorry you asked?!
Onto the next question!

2)  Let's open a proverbial can of worms..  COMMON CORE.  Are you familiar with the term?  (talking education reform in the USA)...   If so, share your thoughts.

Answer:  I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "common core";  but as for my opinion on the education system in general?..   I'm afraid y'all lost me back in 2001, when George Bush, and Congress introduced The (supposed) No Child Left Behind Act.  Call me stupid, or maybe naive, if you like, but I see a LOT of kids getting "left behind".  Someone?..  Anyone of our elected officials want to explain this to me?????  (I think I hear crickets chirping, do you?)

3)Name a celebrity whose fashion sense you admire, and why...

Answer:  Sarah Jessica Parker once said...   "Although I appreciate beautiful clothes, I'm not into fashion as people expect me to be."....   I think Sarah Jessica Parker takes more than a fair share of ribbing, and downright bullying sometimes, as she may not fit everyone's critical, narrow-minded vision/definition of "pretty", or "beautiful"...  But I think she IS beautiful, inside and out, and she rises above it all!..  A wonderful actress (We all loved Carrie, didn't we?!)...   She appears to be a devoted wife, and a loving mother of three..  And as for her sense of fashion? I think, no matter how dressed up or dressed down, she ALWAYS looks great!  Her perfume, Lovely, is one of my favorites..  And I hear she has a new line of shoes...  (not that I can afford them...  Honestly, I really miss when she had her own line of clothing, named Bitten, at Steve and Barry's!  I wish she'd come back with another beautiful and affordable line like that someday.)

4)  How affected are you by the changing seasons?

Answer:  Well, most noticeably,  my allergies will act up...  I'll cough, sneeze, have itchy eyes.  You get the gist!  But I think, considering the heat and humidity of Summer, and then the severe Winter cold of the "Great Northeast", being conditions I tolerate the least, my favorite seasons are now Spring and Fall!

5)  Scariest book I've ever read?

I think that would have to be Gerald's Game, by Stephen King.  I started reading this book, some years ago, and tried to stay with it, into...  oh, I don't know..  maybe 4 or 5 chapters or so?  But I just couldn't stomach the whole story line!  Too creepy..  Too scary..  I put the book down, and soon thereafter, happily sent it on its way, in a bag full of other things, bound for the Salvation Army box!

6)  What time of day are you most hungry?  What's your go-to snack?

Answer:  I sometimes have a tendency to skip either breakfast or lunch..  one or the other.  So, I seem to be most eager for DINNER!..    As for my go-to snack?  That's a tough question, which could be answered in as many words as I used for question #1!!!!  Ha! Ha!..   But o.k..   I'll spare you that...   I guess I could narrow my list of favorite snacks down to cake, baked custard, sliced apples and dip, Oreo cookies, and ice cream!

7)  Do you lean towards being too needy or being too independent?  Which do you find harder to deal with in others?

Answer:  I readily admit how complicated I can be, and I'm sure I'm a little (or a lot?) of BOTH!  But isn't everybody in need, of one thing or another, to some degree?...  As for others?  I think that because I am "needy", shall we say, in one way or another, (I really don't like that word).. that it bothers me that others won't come to me for help to THEM.  I may not be able to help someone in one way, but I can be of help in so many other ways, and I just wish that any friend or family member in need would just remember that I'm here for them, and that I'd like to help in whatever way I can.

8)  Insert random thought...   

I ran across a quote this week, by Reba McEntire; and along with the spirit of Halloween, I was inspired to paint this art-journal page...


I also crocheted a little somethin' "sweet" for my cell phone! 


Well, there you have it, and that's it for today!
While remembering my manners,
I want to thank Joyce for hosting 
Wednesday Hodgepodge!..
And I "THANK YOU" for stopping by today!

 

8 comments:

Joyce said...

Cute candy corn cell phone case : ) I've never read Stephen King. I only read something scary by accident, never deliberately. Enjoy your week!

Dawn Saros-Kirk said...

Your welcome! What a cute little cell phone bag. When I'm out running, I'm amazed at the number of people that won't say hi. I always look at a person and say hi when I run by. So many people just look the other way. Like really, I can see you even if you're not looking at me! lol. Have a fabulous day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice post! If you say 'hello' to someone you don't know on the street here, they mostly look away quickly and pretend they didn't hear or see you! Valerie

The Old Parsonage said...

Hi Tina

I always love reading how people answer these types of things. I never heard of the common core either. I'm off to look it up.

BTW - love you candy corn phone holder.

Nikki Scatchard said...

Actually the Cardinals aren't my #1 team, the Giants are but since they're out I'm pulling for the Cardinals since they're in! :)

Terri D. said...

Your cell phone case is really adorable!! We are cheering for the Cardinals - National League (sorry!). I enjoyed your answers today!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I like how you answered the fashion question. And she is the epitome of being herself...as you say. And it SHOULD be that way. Hollywood...fashion....why even MEN are getting into following in the footsteps of fashion 'cause someone looked 'sharp' in some clothes. Why oh why.

AND..........LOVE the cellphone candy corn!!! Excellent.

Kristina said...

Cute candy corn holder.