Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge 144

I thought I'd join in for this round of Wednesday Hodgepodge.  Hosted by Joyce, at From This Side of the Pond, seven questions (with room for a random thought) are presented, and participants post their answers in response.  Here are this weeks round of questions, followed by my answers, such as they are...

1)  What's one thing you learned in September?

Answer:  How precious time is, when spent with family, and how we should never take that time for granted.
 
2)  Acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash..  or "Bleck!  Hold the squash!"...  What's your favorite squash, and how do you prepare it?

Answer:  I used to HATE squash when I was a kid.  I'd absolutely gag on it!..  But now I really like it!  I like acorn or butternut squash cooked and mashed, like potatoes;  but my favorite is simply yellow or zucchini squash sliced up and fried in butter, with salt and pepper!  Yum!..  I also love baking my own homemade zucchini bread!

3)  The older I get, the ___________.

Answer:  I think that the older I get, the older I see my parents get, and the more precious time seems to be.  Just this past month, I have noticed, for the first time, my father slowing down some.  Below is a picture of my Dad being a good sport for me, posing in the picture with Dear Son and me, at the farm where we just recently went apple picking.


While I'm aware how life works..  how we all get older, and how time marches on...  I guess I just didn't know WHEN to expect time would start taking its toll on my own parents.   I'm reminded how I haven't always seen things eye to eye with my father, throughout the years; but I still love him, and I now find myself feeling a little worried.   Seeing things in a different light, I am far more appreciative of any time I get to spend with him now.

4)  What's your favorite television theme song ever?

Answer:  Well, now, you can't pin me down to just one, any more than you can pin me down to a favorite color!..  The ones that come to mind, just to name a few, are as follows:  the theme from Friends, I'll Be There For You;  BOTH the theme songs from Happy Days; the theme song from the show The Monkees; and the theme song for The Big Bang Theory...

But I think my all-time, very favorite theme songs were actually closing songs to two different t.v. shows, both from back in my early teen years.  One was the closing song for the Carol Burnett Show, I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together..  But most definitely, my very FAVORITE closing song was I Got You Babe, from the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, a popular variety type of t.v. show, running from 1971 to 1974.  I still LOVE that song!  It reminds me of who I love, what I have, and what's most important to me!

5)  What do you wish you spent more time doing five years ago?

Answer:   Just about 5 years ago, I was focused on quitting smoking!  I succeeded in kicking the habit, and sure can't find any regrets about that!

6)  What item do you most need (or want) to add to your Fall wardrobe?

Answer:  I think some new dress boots would be nice, and then maybe a few more lightweight-dressy scarves, just for fun, to throw on with Fall jackets and blazers!

7)  On October 2nd, 1950, the Peanuts cartoon was introduced to the world.  What was your favorite cartoon when you were a kid?

Answer:  For as far back as I can remember, I was drawing the Peanuts characters all the time!  In fact, I won an award for runner-up, when I was in 5th grade, for painting Snoopy to look like a dentist in a dental health poster contest! (and still have the certificate!).. So the Peanuts were always my favorite cartoons, and still are!  To the left, is a book that I just picked up at a thrift sale, held at a local fair.  It's a good-sized paper back, measuring 10 x 12", with 255 pages packed full of both black-and-white and color comic strips, stories, and information!..  But as for what I can remember of Saturday morning cartoons from when I was a kid?..  I most remember liking Casper The Friendly Ghost, and Bugs Bunny cartoons the best.  I remember also liking the Jackson 5 and Osmond Brothers cartoons too, and loving the songs they included in every episode!

8)  Insert random thought here:

Well...  Would you like to have a cup of tea with me before our visit is done here?  I've got this new tea pot, and cup and saucer, that I picked up at the same sale I got my Peanuts book at!


Love the Fall colors of both, and I got them for next to nothing, as part of a $2.00 bag sale!!  YAY!!!  The name at the bottom of the tea pot says SADLER, made in Staffordshire England..  So pretty I thought it was, I was very excited to bring it home!...   Alongside, is a tag and miniature book I made for a swap I'm in.  The book is just a teeny little thing,  1" by 1 1/2", following the tutorial for making one HERE.  The tag consists of various layers of papers, vintage trims, and embellishments.  The stamp I used , a young girl reading a book, is an Alesa Baker Design, from Impression Obsession.


Thanks to Joyce for hosting Wednesday Hodgepodge!
And thank YOU for stopping by today!

17 comments:

Theresa said...

Visiting today from the Hodgepodge. Nice to meet you :)
I like the Sonny and Cher song too. Love the teacup and teapot and would love to sit down to tea :)

Rebecca Jo said...

I almost put the Monkees too :)

Yes - you do learn how precious time is... You see how many people have had such limited time...

Terri D. said...

Thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge today, and I am pleased to meet you here! We seem to have several things in common, likeing the same authors and having some of the same hobbies. I will visit you more often! It's great to meet new friends here on Blogger!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I'm gonna be singing "I Got You Babe" now the rest of the day!!! :o) I like it!!

Gosh, it's been a long, LONG time since I've had zucchini bread! Sounds delish!!

Shannon M. aka "Auntie" said...

Really enjoyed your answers. That teapot is adorable.

edshunnybunny said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog for the Hodgepodge!

I'm so glad to read your answers to #1 and #3! Treasure that time with family, while you can! Hubby and I just lost the last one of our parents (his mom),and it's tough.

Those were all great theme songs that you named! I didn't think of those.

Congrats on being able to stop smoking :) Your health will thank you.

The Old Parsonage said...

I feel the same way about my parents and my MIL. I see them a few times a week and I can still see the aging. Plus they are the oldest generation and that says something.

We have to cherish every moment.

Loved reading your answers!

retired not tired said...

I used to love the Monkees as well. I have loved everyone's answers this week.

Lea said...

Yes, it is tough when we realize that age is taking it's toll on our parents. I have been taking care of my Dad for 2 1/2 years now. He's 83 years old and has had a tough time of it. My Mom died 5 years ago and his life pretty much ended at that time. So, so sad!

The Staffordshire tea pot is gorgeous and what a deal you got on that.

Thanks for stopping by and many blessings!

Carrie Bullock said...

Now I'm really in the mood for zucchini bread!

And I've got 'I've got you Babe' in my head. Ha.

Thanks for visiting!

Jhona O. said...

I love finding neat little treasures like you found in your teapot. So fun! You are a very creative person and that little book is so beautiful! My oldest son really enjoys drawing and has always felt like he and Charlie Brown could be brothers. I enjoyed visiting your Hodgepodge!

Clairity said...

It's funny how our taste for something can change. There are lots of things I never liked before, like celery, that I like now :)

Elizabeth Day said...

Isn't Hodgepodge a great source for meeting new friends and learning interesting tidbits about them? May I encourage you to spend time with your parents and enjoy them while you can. Both of mine are deceased and I still miss them. Also, being a senior adult myself with grown children, I know how easy it is to allow busyness to become a time-with-loved-ones stealer. We take time so for granted. You just don't want to have any regrets.

Empty Nester said...

Love the new tea cup! And Peanuts! And the song, I Got You Babe! And Carol Burnett! And...LOL I really love a lot of what you talked about today! :)

Gilligan Maryanne said...

thank you for stopping by I am following you now and hope you will do the same. I love your answers :) and I think I recall that our Saturday morning cartoons were too violent? I mean seriously? that is all that is on tv now a days
HUGS

Dawn Saros-Kirk said...

I used to love,love the Sonny and Cher show! Cher has always been kind of like my idol. I Got You Babe is such a good song. I remember Casper the Friendly Ghost too. Just catching up on some blog reading. Have a great weekend!

Audrey Pettit said...

LOVE your post, Tina! So darn sweet! I absolutely adore how much you love your family and love the little things in life. Makes me smile!