Monday, September 9, 2013

Avoiding Despicable Calories

Being an ex-smoker (5 years this past April!)..  I still need something to do with my hands while sitting still, or while watching t.v...  Football season has officially kicked off, (YAY!!).. and Dear Son and I are loving it!!  But there were THREE games on yesterday, and for me, it is very difficult to sit still in one place for that long!   If I don't have something to do, then I am snacking instead..  And if I'm snacking instead, next thing you know, my pants size goes up by two or three numbers!...  SO-oooo, if I'm looking to avoid all the unnecessary, "despicable" calories, and bouncing around from this-size-wardrobe to that-size-wardrobe, then it's really all for the best that I have something to do, like crochet!

With Fall being just around the corner now, I find myself in the mood to make HATS!  Here are two I just made...


These Minion Hats were fun to make!  (Minions are characters found in the Despicable Me movies.)  Both of them are done in adult sizes, and I've just been asked to make one in a child's size...  So, guess what I'll be doing while watching Monday Night Football, tonight!   (HERE'S a pattern, if you'd like to try it.)

In the meantime, around my neck of the woods, it seems safe to say the worst of the summer heat and humidity is over now.  As temperatures finally cool down, I've been able to do some baking again!  I LOVE to bake; and it's so nice to be able to fire up the oven, without suffering dearly for it!..  Well, a friend of mine has just recently harvested a good many pears from her tree for the year, and she was so nice to share some with me!  However, Dear Son and I weren't reaching for them fast enough to keep them from spoiling, so I looked up a recipe, and decided to make Spiced Pear Muffins instead!


The recipe is a KEEPER, for sure!  We were definitely reaching for these fast enough!  (Oh, but just a couple for breakfast, for me!)...  I later made a second batch!  They smell delicious, taste delicious, and you can find the recipe HERE, if you'd like to try it.  Now that our pears are gone, though, I'm wondering if you could probably alter this recipe by substituting apples instead?  Ya think?..   I'm looking forward to apple picking sometime soon, I hope, so maybe I'll give it a try!

    Thanks so much for stopping by today!


8 comments:

Leann said...

Oh the hats are so durn cute! At first I thought they were Steelers hats:)

I know what you mean about the calories - ugh!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

OMYGOSH!!! Brookie would LOVEEEEEEEEE that hat!!!! Now I wish I knew how to crochet!! They are ADORABLE!!!

crochetwithtamara said...

I love your hats Tina! You did a despicably good job on them. ;) And those pear muffins look amazingly yummy! Love and Hugs, Tamara

From the Kitchen said...

Spiced pear muffins sound like the perfect thing for a late summer treat! Hope you enjoy the lemon sponge. Thanks so much for stopping by.

Best,
Bonnie

Audrey Pettit said...

OMGosh, you are sooo talented, Tina! What adorable hats! They so make me smile! And how delicious those pear muffins look. I bet you could try them with apples instead. I just made my first fall dessert of the year myself this week. A pumpkin bread I found on Pinterest. I know it's a bit early for pumpkin, but I couldn't resist! :)

Melody Brown said...

Hi Tina!
Sorry if Inlinks closed out too early...sigh...I still need to fiqure out military time...eeerrgg
I'll be sure to put it up sooner and longer. You're still signed up for my giveaway since you left a message...and I do see you had a tiny bit of red in your post with teapot...hehe. Those hats are adorable and the muffins..I look at em gain pounds..shame on you.
Well I gotta go type ya later!

Shari said...

Hi Tina,
Your hats are great! I too, thought
steeler hat when I first saw them.
Being from PA we are big fans. Those muffins look delish!
Shari

Sandy said...

LOL...despicable calories made me laugh, though I've never heard of the movies. I've never enjoyed baking and avoid it pretty much all the time. I like to cook, but not bake? I also dislike all the football on tv, makes me crazy, you can't get away from it. First they tell you what you're going to watch...speculate on who's going to play well....then you watch it and it takes too long, then they you what you just watched and disect every play...when hubby's watches, I leave the room whenever possible and head to the computer, or I crochet or knit and never look up until he says watch this. lol You can enjoy it for me....how's that...I'll give you my share of football too. lol

I'm Listening