Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge Vol.138

It's time for another round of Wednesday Hodgepodge!  Joyce, at From This Side of the Pond, provides the questions; and following each question, you'll find my answers as shown below...   So here goes!

1)  What's your worst food memory?  What's your best food memory?

Anwswer:  My worst food memory is when my mother made me eat squash at the dinner table, when I was just a kid.  It was lumpy and stringy, and it made me gag...  But I was not to leave the table.  If I didn't clear my plate by bedtime... well, I'll spare you any further details. But these were NOT what one might call happy "Kodak Moments".

When the time came around that I  became a Mommy, these are what I remember to be my happiest food memories.  When I could feed my babies in their high chair....


..and when I rocked them in my arms, with either their bottles or sippy cups...  I remember them eating their first pieces of Birthday cake!...   I remember their adorable little faces after eating spaghetti!..  But when they didn't like something on their plate, it was not a federal crime.  The world wasn't coming to an end.  The sky was not falling, and the earth was not crumbling...  As long as they ate most of what else was on their plates, and I felt as though they had ingested something of some nutritional value, then they didn't have to eat WHAT MADE THEM GAG!  It was o.k.!  REALLY!...   Next question.

2)  Do you appreciate people telling you like it is, or would you rather a speaker temper his/her words..  maybe beat around the bush a little?   How about when YOU are the one communicating..  Which one are you?

(If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.)

Answer:  I want people to be honest with me; and honestly, I can take constructive criticism.  But I would not appreciate someone stooping to being mean or tactless about something.  I, myself, would much rather sugar-coat something, than to hurt anyone's feelings.

3)  What is your favorite place to hang out? 


Answer:  "There's no place like home."

4)  When do you most feel like you're a slave to time?

Answer:  I guess when I'm stuck doing housework.  I can think of a hundred things I'd rather be doing, but "ya do what ya gotta do", right?!

5)  What was the last concert you attended?  Who did you go with, and was it any good?


Answer:  I had to stop and think about this one.  I am pretty sure it was a Jimmy Page concert.  I went with a boyfriend at the time, and the show was awesome!  I LOVED it!

6)  Reality T.V.....   harmful or harmless?  

Answer:  I don't like it... AT ALL, and I DO think it's harmful.   But referring back to question #2, "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all"...    and with respect to those who DO enjoy it, I'm just gonna leave it at that. 

7)  What's something you think is overrated?
Answer:  I think there is a LOT of hype in the way of health and beauty products, and an insane amount of money being spent on them, I'm sure.  What concerns me is that, for the money, does it really work?  Is it really better?.. And more importantly, is it safe?...   How about skin care products, for example..  There is a great deal of science being thrown at us, coaxing us to buy this product or that product;  but have any of us really found that miracle cure for wrinkles yet?  If you have, well then, PLEASE do let me know in the comments below!

8)  Insert random thought.... 
Here's just a little somethin' I really like for today.

 
Thanks to Joyce for hosting Wednesday Hodgepodge,
and thank YOU for stopping by today!


6 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awesome post!!! I am not a reality TV junkie either ... I have enuf reality in my own life! LOL!! :)

Leann said...

I do love reading these posts - my Mum would make me eat liver!! Can you imagine? I would cry and gag and then throw-up because I was soo upset. Ugh!

I'm with you on the way you fed your kids - lots of good choices.

Chatty Crone said...

I love the way you put pictures with you answers. Sorry about the squash. And I agree tell me the truth, but be nice. And there is no place like home! sandie

Joyce said...

I have an irritation on my eyelid for which I've tried all sorts of meds, etc. My dermatologist here told me to use vaseline on it. Yup, plain old vaseline. I do think there are some legitimate products, and others are hype.

In a weird segue...I feel the same way about pet food now. All dogs need special food? Pretty sure this is also hype in many cases : )

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Awwwwwwwww, I love the sentiment behind being 'able to feed my baby at the high chair'! Sweet memories!!!

As for having to eat the squash, I thank my lucky stars my parents never forced food upon us kids. We just didn't get any dessert OR bedtime snacks that night. Phewww!!!!

Audrey Pettit said...

Another awesome post, my friend! I loved in particular your answers to the food question. Really struck home with me. I was forced to eat the gag food as a child....and have always let me own kids decide what they will and won't eat. I provide healthy options, and they can go from there. :) Love your post!