Monday, July 22, 2013

The Building of One's Self

The current theme for Art Journal Journey is architecture.  There you'll find beautiful works of art by other participants, which include famous buildings, brilliant structures, blueprints, etc...  But then I took the idea and went along my own tangent of sorts!  My thoughts went towards the notion of building one's self..  in building one's own character..  one step at a time, one experience at a time, every mistake at a time, one small success at a time...  brick, by brick, by brick.


"Belief in oneself is one of the most important 
bricks in building any successful venture."
~Lydia M. Child

I used the Crafter's Workshop "Bricks" template to make the background.  The whole page is painted in your basic 50-cent acrylic paints, and I outlined with black Permopaque marker.  The vine of leaves I painted to symbolize personal growth.  The journaling on the bricks is done with a Sakura Gelly Roll pen, but I only showed the quote at the top.  

"We are builders of our own characters.
We have different positions, spheres, 
capacities, privileges, different work to 
do in the world, different temporal 
fabrics to raise; but we are all alike in this...  
All are architects in fate."
~John Fothergill Waterhouse Ware

I journaled more personal thoughts and feelings further down my page of bricks, but did not want to photograph that part for sharing publicly.  In short, what I'm now spiritually expressing is that I just hope, God willing, there are many more bricks I can build with, and grow with, to be all the person I hope to be in this life, before He calls me Home.  

"Everyone who hears these words 
of mine and does them will be 
like a wise man who built his 
house on the rock.  And the rains 
fell, and the floods came, and the 
winds blew, and beat on that house, 
but it did not fall, because it 
had been founded on the rock."
~The Holy Bible, Matthew (7:24-26)

I just thank God for every day he blesses me with, and I strive to make the best of it...  to be wise in my ways, as I continue building.

Thank you for stopping by today!...
I am also linking with Inspiration Avenue today,
for their Show and Tell Challenge...


Hope your day builds up to be a good one!

  

10 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great page Tina, and a lovely idea for the challenge! Valerie

froebelsternchen Susi said...

what a fantastic make on the theme... I love it Tina! Thank you for joining us over on Art Journal Journey!
xxx
Susi

Paper rainbow said...

I really like the idea of building day by day using bricks as a theme. Great page.

Beo said...

That's a nice interpretation of the theme. And I like the way you dit it!!
Beate

Erika Nittel-Traser said...

Wonderful thoughts, Dear! I love the making of your wall and your inspirations. Hugs Erika

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love your page, Tina! The message behind it is so wonderful, and your brick them is amazing! Thanks for sharing this awesome creation with us!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to laugh when I read about your acrylic paint. Is there really any other kind (grin)?

I thoroughly enjoyed both the artwork and the message conveyed in the solid bricks. Beautiful painting.

Beverley Baird said...

Visiting from IA - love your interpretation of the them! Wonderful message as well.

Lou Anne Hazel said...

I'm so glad you shared your art journal piece and the story behind it. I can see how meaningful it is for you, and the quote you included about believing in oneself is really poignant.

Maggie said...

That's a great quote, and I love the girl's sweet face!