Friday, July 12, 2013

Making a Craftroom of My Own

Where there's a will, there's a way.  I knew I needed a better workspace for crafting, art-journaling, and scrapbooking...  a place where I could have all my tools and supplies, all in order, and all in one place.  With everything scattered around my living room, and dining room, it was a gradually turning into a hot mess, now catching up with me, leading to increased confusion and aggravation....  and probably higher blood pressure!  I knew enough was enough, and I finally decided to carry out an idea I had when I first moved into this small 2-bedroom apartment.  As it turned out, what timing, as I'd begun this project, that I found Karen, at My Desert Cottage, was hosting Where Bloggers Create 2013!  (gasp!..  and I had just two days to get ready for it, if I wanted to participate!)

First, this is LONNNNNNG, long, long!..  I KNOW!!...  


So PLEASE just skim through, read what you want, and skip the rest...   I just hope you like what you see, or that you can get to know me a little better...  one way or the other!  

This all begins with just a thought to maybe someday turn a walk-in closet into a craftroom, for both workspace and storage.  However, NOW the biggest question was, "Just how much can I really fit into that tiny space?...  AND still have room for ME to work in it?"  Well, I was determined, and the first thing I knew I needed was a desk, in just the right size.  So, Dear Son and I were walking the dog one afternoon, and saw one setting out by the trash on garbage night.  It was perfect!  I called Dear Son-In-Law to help me bring it home, and thus was the beginning of a beautiful dream!..   Well...  still in the making...  But won't you come in?


Hung on the door is a 24-pocket shoe organizer.  This is where I store my paper punches, and just a few other odd-lot items.  I'm happy with it, as it treats the door as a 4th wall; real estate, unwasted, and that makes me happy!...   Well, here it is..  Ta-dah!!  What do you think?!


Now, bear in mind that this is just a basic set up, like a rough draft.  Please excuse the tools all over the desk.  And the walls are in horrible shape.  They need to be painted, but I needed to set things up first, to clearly, without a doubt, confirm with myself that this project was even possible...   After all, this room only measures 61" back, and 54" wide!  Friends and family had their doubts, but just look, look, look!!!  It CAN be done!..   Well, as I look at this picture, right away I think I'd like to paint the chair...  So help me out.  You think in white, or in a bright color to coordinate with the polka-dot drawers atop my desk?..  What color walls?...   Decisions!  Decisions!

Well, you can learn how to fancy up your Sterlite storage drawers too, right HERE, at Kinder-Craze!  I made up a pattern, with printer paper, since I didn't have any waxed paper on hand.


I still have to do the tops on ALL of them, but I think they look so much cuter already!...   Now, on top of the the two Sterlite drawer units, I placed a wooden shelf; and on top of that shelf I placed two more plastic drawers, and other various organizers...  the whole kit and kaboodle holding stamps, inks, papers, card-making supplies, paper bags, post-its, more embellishments, etc.; etc...  On the bottom of this same shelf, I plan to place an under-the-cabinet work light (like this one).  They seem to run anywhere from approximately $11.00 and up, from what I've seen, so that's not too bad an expense.

To the right of the door, I've hung storage trays for storing odd-lot types of items, such as string, fishing line, glitters, beads, etc..  Below those is a mailbox-tin, which was a Christmas gift, filled with girl scout candy. (And I thought they just made cookies!) Well, now I'm using it to hold my embossing folders!  I only have a few; but there's room for at least 3 or 4 more, if I want to add to my collection sometime.


On to the right-side wall, I've hung a wooden shelf unit for holding paints and related supplies.  On the upper shelf I've set up tiny plastic containers, perfect for storing tiny supplies and embellies!..  Just below, is an old end table.  I took out and threw away the broken down drawers, and now just store a couple of sewing projects in the hidden space, underneath the tablecloth...  On top, I have my radio/cd player; but uh-oh.. I see wasted space!  I may want to place a storage box of some sort (probably to store laces), which the radio could still sit on later.  Next to the radio sits my new Sears Craftsman tote!  I LOVE this tote, which carries MANY of my most used tools and supplies, and which can be carried 'round the house, or 'round town, whichever I feel like doing!


Moving in counter-clockwise fashion, we now come to a metal shelf unit of sorts.  It's about 30" wide x 32" tall, and fits just PERFECT in the space that was left after placing the desk in its place!  I simply added a wooden shelf to the top, where here you see, setting atop of an old cigar box, I keep an altered Rolodex I've been working on.  It holds a combination of addresses, phone numbers, and then photos of friends and family!


Next to the Rolodex, on that same unit is a table lamp, which either needs some "altering", or out it goes, for something a little more stylish!...  Next to the lamp is my Big Shot, easily accessible for whenever I need it...


Above the Rolodex, you see my calendar, and then where I store my hole punchers, and decorative scissors.


I used two hooks and an old ruler to hold my hole punches;  and I decorated an old metal kitchen utensil holder with some lace, to hold the pairs of scissors....  Above the Big Shot, you just catch a glimpse of where I hung up more shelves, to hold a few small books/booklets, and then plastic boxes and organizers, pretty much all for flowers and embellishments.

That blue booklet you see, by the way, is really a place to keep my homemade washi tapes!  (You can find out how to make your own right HERE, thanks to Jennibellie!)

Moving on to the back wall, I'll just share a close up of what's on my desk...


My Hello Kitty Purse Tin holds small wooden block-like stamps, most being letters and numbers.  I used a vintage Southern-belle-like planter to hold some markers.  I decorated aluminum cans with more polka-dot paper, to match the drawers.  (HERE's where I got my paper.)  The beautiful tissue box should look familiar to Debbie, at Debbie Dabble!!   She was so nice to give it to me!

Just above these things, I painted and hung a shelf, which holds a beautiful, much treasured, pincushion, given to me by Tamara, at Crochet with Tamara; and then a digital photo keychain, my name spelled in Scrabble letters, and then one more very important necessity...   a portable little dvd player!...  because I always need some kind of show or movie to keep me company while I'm crafting!   Just above this shelf, I've hung a bulletin board, which I just painted pink, and made white polka-dots with the eraser end of a pencil.

Heading round to the left side of the room, I've hung up a couple of old spice racks, which hold my ink sprays, Stickles, embossing powders, etc., etc...   I hope to paint these to better match the room..  or maybe the chair..  All in good time, I guess...  Baby steps, right?!


Next to the spice racks, I hung up my paper trimmer and a couple of my bigger quilter's rulers.  Now just above these, is empty space where I intend to keep my spools of ribbons.

At first, I liked the idea of using rain gutters to place them in!  Cool, right?!!..  But at the height I'll be placing them, I think I'd prefer a way that I can SEE them better.  So-oooo,  I think I will probably go with the tried and true hooks and dowel rods to hold them all, and I'll share how that looks when I get to it...  But first I'll want to paint!

From here, we're gonna start looking upward.  Yes, I'm happy to say I've got MORE space to use, but as you can see, I'm already using it in a very cluttered and unattractive way!  Ew..  YUCK!  I just try not to look there for now! 


My plan is to invest in some medium sized, solid-colored, no-see-through, plastic bins, and to double-stack them if necessary.  I've placed a few of my Cabbage Patch dolls in here, 'cuz you know I love my dolls!...  But if later I need the space for other things, then I'll just move them to a better place.  'Round to the left wall again, where there is no shelf, way up, I hung up a few more things...   handmade looms, metal wreaths and rings, embroidery hoops, and wooden hearts...


Finally, we look below!  Under the desk I have a small garbage pail, a plastic bin of paper scraps, and another plasic bin, for...  well...  I don't know yet!  Inside the desk you see my score board, some notebooks, my Sizzix dies, and then my paper.


On the metal storage unit I have some empty jars, a huge jar for chunky stamps, a plastic box to hold my stencils, etc., etc....

Now, did anyone think for a moment that I could ever fit this much into this size of a room?!..   Honestly, I surprised myself!  I never did like empty spaces, and I sure know how to fill them up!...  Everything's subject to change, but I'm so happy with it already!...    And I KNOW I'm not the only one with limited space, longing for that crafty place to call her own!  There are so many great YouTube videos on the subject, but here are a couple that I thought were great, for those of us with limited space.  Check HERE, and HERE, just to point out a couple.  I certainly hope that those of you who are facing similar challenges, will find my post today at least a little encouraging, and that maybe you liked an idea or two...

Where there's a will, there's a way to make it happen!

Thanks to Karen for hosting Where Bloggers Create 2013!
And thanks to YOU for stopping by today!

~tina...   aka

75 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, looks great! Have fun! Hugs, Valerie

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Looks awesome!!!! I used to have my stuff in a closet .... so I totally get it :)

Sugar Lump Studios said...

What a charming and fun place to create! I especially love your Cabbage patch dolls and how you have them displayed! I saved my children's - they will appreciate it one day yes? Thanks for sharing your adorable space with us!

Nancy
www.sugarlumpstudios.com

Debi Y. said...

I love your new space Beansie - you've done such a great job setting it up.

For a paint color idea, you can paint your chair, desk and shelves white to keep the space light. For the walls you should go with a very pale pink - I was going to suggest a pale yellow, but you seem to have a lot of pink accessories. Either color would work though really.

Have fun with it. :)

Art and Sand said...

You did a fantastic job of creating a space from nothing. I
have sewn in 3 different closets in my lifetime - now it is the garage.

Have fun creating.

melanie said...

Wow- amazing! And all in a closet- hands down- you have the best tiny space! So glad you shared!

. said...

Fun little space for creations!!! And you sure maximized all the areas for great storage.

Mindy said...

SSSOOO exciting! I love your organization! Congratulations, and happy crafting. =)

Something Special said...

My favorite is the bling rolodex very cool!

Desires of the Heart said...

Very creative use of your closet and it looks like you have a lot in there, but still have room to work. Thanks for showing us all your special place. Blessings, Linda

ImagiMeri said...

Hi Tina,

Looks like you've done an amazing job with the space you have. I'll be downsizing next year, and I'm actually excited about it.

Hugs,
Meri

Cathy said...

Wow! What an inspiration! You did a fabulous job with your space and I love your rolodex! Great job!

Cathy ♥

Faith said...

Lucy what are you upto..somthin?
I have to say dear friend, I am inspired...I've long comnplained I don't have a space for just me and my stuff...but we have a small space off the dormer...I could I suppose, move my things up there rather then the basement...but oh those stairs....your room looks great...thank you for the ispiration.....
hugs,
Ethyl

Theresa said...

You a lot going on in a small space. That's fabulous! I liked you idea using the spice racks. I hadn't thought of that. Lining the inside of my stacked containers is something I hope to get to at point. Great organization.

Carole said...

Hi Tina, you have some wonderful ideas and I love the shoe organizer, what a great way to store things. I'm going to see where I can add something like this.

Thanks so much for visiting and wonderful comments. I'm delighted to meet you. Carole xox

Tracie Dean said...

Great job with such a small space!!! Such a clever idea.

I hope you have many happy times in your new crafty space!

Happy Crafting
Tracie
http://homeofthepurskey.blogspot.com

Leann said...

Wow, you got a lot accomplished! I loved seeing every nook and crany! LOVE that rolodex - too durned cute!

Enjoy!

Leann

Karen Valentine said...

Tina you did a fabulous job of turning that tiny little space into a functional craft room that is super cute too!! Thank you so much for joining the party and letting us see this wonderful makeover!
xo,
Karen

Bevlea Ross said...

wonderful makeover of a small space.. you have done a fab job!

Sandra Kaye said...

LOVE your Rolodex file!!! and I made a washi tape book too:):) thanks for sharing your space:)

Connie said...

I am so impressed! You have got to be very creative and organized to fix everything in as brilliantly as you have. I would say genius. You are so talented.
I'm having a Give-A-Way of a $25 Amazon.com gift card to anyone that follows my blog and leaves a comment.
I would be honored to have you join the fun, maybe you'll get lucky and be the winner :)
Your blogging sister, Connie :)
P.S. I'm your newest follwer :)

Romeo said...

Two paws up to you! This is a wonderful example of utilzing space and still having plenty of room to create! AND it all looks great!!!! I am sure you will inspire many who are in a similiar situation! I once did the same thing and set up shop in a closet at the top of the stairs in a townhouse rental. But it never looked as good as yours! May you spend many happy hours creating!!!!

"her" and Romeo

Leanne said...

Oh, how I LOVE your space!! And I love that rolodex . . . adorable (and I think I want one!!!) Yes, there definitely is a way to make it happen! So thankful you are sharing your space with us today!

Maureen Hayes said...

Bravo! I think you have created a fantastic space, as well as provided inspiration for so many who don't have a dedicated room to craft in. You have a lot of terrific ideas for storage, while also making it pretty and fun. Enjoy your new space and I will be watching for updates. . .

Marianne said...

love it ! Good things come in small packages

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It looks like we have about the same size space, Tina! You've made great use of the whole space. Love, love that rolodex! I keep saying I need to get a new address book, but maybe I should try altering a rolodex instead.

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

what a wonderful space! Making use of it all, all the way up makes it all the more efficient. Small, but mighty. Fabulous!

Create With Joy said...

Dear Tina,

Thanks so much for visiting me at Create With Joy and for leaving such a sweet comment!

I LOVE what you've done in your cozy space and yes, we do share a love for gingham it appears!

I love your use of the doorspace for your punches. I've been wanting to do something like that for awhile but I'm still adapting to my new space.

I had fun exploring your blog while I was here and wanted to invite you to share your creative projects with us at my weekly Inspire Me Monday party! (It's open all week so join at your convenience!)

Have a beautiful weekend!

Create With Joy
http://create-with-joy.com

Connie said...

Hi Tina, hey, all you have to do is hit the follow button to get your name in the hat for the Gift Card. You could buy more paper punches, they don't take up much room :)
Thanks for the sweet visit, Connie :)

Lavender Cottage said...

With organization, even a small space like yours can work to create a studio.
Everything looks close at hand for your projects.
Judith

Kadee Willow said...

And to think it all started with an invitation to a "party" and a found desk on the curb!!! Brilliant ideas all over your space. I loved hanging the punches on the ruler.. clever! And now for an opinion on the chair and walls. My vote is for a shell pink on the walls and an off-white or white chair. In my opinion, it would tie in the pink polka dots and the pink table skirt. You sure have a fabulous space to create!

Kristi Schurr said...

I adore your space and can't believe it's a closet! Great job!Thanks for sharing with us!

Mary Walden said...

So very nice to meet you and see your wonderful closet! What a creative place you have to work in.
I love how everything is within reach.I also love the way you decorated your drawers. They look great. And like some of the other comments I vote on white or cream for the chair and spice units.
Thanks again for sharing!!

Graceful Rose said...

Tina, thank you for visiting me and your sweet comments. I love your space, you are going a great job with the closet. Lots of great ideas for us all. Thanks for sharing!

Cindy said...

OH MY GOSH! You have done AMAZING with your space! You asked and I love to give an opinion :) When you get to painting, white walls, white spice holders and a brightly coloured chair! I am SO following you by email! Hugs! http://connell-crafts.blogspot.ca/

Cindy said...

OH! And I love your cabbage patch dolls! I still have mine with my dolls in my guest room! Hugs!

bobbie said...

Oh my gosh!! What a wonderful use of space ~ you are truly an inspiration!
Happy crafting!!

fairyrocks said...

You put that together in just a couple of days, you are a super star!! How wonderful to have a place of your own...and so tidy too.I could never show under the desk...just too frightening LOL. Keep smiling and creating thanks for sharing.

Diana Seal said...

Awesome, who would have known you can do all this with a walk-in-closet, I'm impressed!!! Thanks for sharing your GREAT space!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Your newest follower,
Diana

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

YOU ARE SO COOL TO DO THIS. THIS IS THE CUTEST TINY STUDIO I'VE EVER SEEN. SO MUCH COOL STUFF IS IN THERE. HOW LUCKY TO FIND THAT DESK. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

HUGS
CINDY@STITCHES

Jennifer LaVite said...

You have done a beautiful job with your small space. You have really organized your supplies well. I love your rolodex idea - so pretty! Thanks for the washi tape link. I can't wait to try it. The spice racks are a genius idea. Thanks for sharing your space!

Lori said...

I am impressed by what you've done in such a small space. Wow! You certainly know how to store a lot of stuff in such a small space. It's cute and I like it! As far as paint, I'd paint the chair in a bright color--red, pink, blue or a lime green, or orange. The walls I'd paint yellow--it's not too dark and will still lighten the room. Good luck!

Kathy said...

Tina, this is just remarkable and most amazing of all is I still see a few blank spaces - amazing what you have done with such a small space!! Wowza! Thank you for sharing because this is really inspiring.

Maureen said...

Tina, what an amazing job you did creating a great space from a walk in closet!

And that has to be the coolest Rolodex I have EVER seen!

What a great tour - so inspiring to see what can be done with anything you have on hand. Well done!

CatieAn said...

i think you have done a fabulous job of remaking your closet into a great work space!! I can't wait to see the changes next year after you paint and do whatever else you hope to accomplish. My first studio was a space between the oil tank and the furnace shared with the laundry set up. I crammed so much stuff in there and it was perfect for me!!! I hope you always want to 'hide out' in your space and make your art

lynn said...

this is a fun, fabulous use of the closet, tina! love what you did with the storage boxes:)

Cbug Art said...

love your creative vision! well done.
Chris

Tabitha said...

Tina you have such a wonderful space...I love all those cabbage patch dolls. I only had one growing and she is long gone...
hugs

Louise (Elsie May and Bertha) said...

Wow, you have managed to fit loads of stuff in a small place. I like your altered rolodex. A pretty way to keep all that info together.
Thanks you for the tour.
Happy crafting :-)

Devon Smith-Breidel said...

You did so much and so well in a short amount of time! Loving the revamped Rolodex. Of course, I love Hyacinth too!

sonflower said...

WOW! You ROCK, Tina!!! I need you to come to my house and give me some ideas!! I love your use of a small space making me think this is a large space. I like the idea of painting your chair the pink color of the shelf that has your portable DVD player on it, as well as maybe painting your lamp shade the same color and thing bling it up with some of that beaded trim that could go around the bottom of the lamp!! The idea for the shoe caddy and using it to house all of your punches, GREAT idea! Doing that next week at my house!!! Thank you, thank you for the website to find out how to make our own washi tape. I actually just learned about washi tape last month! You were way ahead of me on the colored totes to put all the items in the very top of your space, that is a great idea! I purchased a label maker from WalMart last year and use it for everything! Your spice racks and white caddies, and the little mailbox; I will now be on the lookout for things like this at garage sales, second hand stores, etc. You have a lot going on organizational wise in a small amount of space! Again, you ROCK!!!
Laura

Barb said...

Beansie, firstly thanx for stopping by my blog and I an thrilled that you are now a follower.
I think you have done a marvellous job with the closet make-over....very clever of you. As for the chair, why not paint it in a bright colour...such as HOT PINK....after all, it IS your hot seat for crafting....LOL
I am now a follower of yours and look forward to seeing the completed "art room"

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Girlfriend, you have it all figured out...Perfect! I love the spice rack paint holder...Mighty cleaver!

Carol

Rita Barakat said...

Great space! I had to do a double take on the roledex! Love that!

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Tina!! Sweet Mama, Girl!!
You have done a fantastic job with such a small space!! I see Kathy from Creative home Expressions has already coomented. If you did not get to see her space yet, be sure to do so as her space is just a bit larger than yours and she has such great ideas!!
Yes, I decoupaged my chairs!!

And what a surprise to see my tissue box in your space!! That brought a huge smile to my face!!

I think you have done a great job.

Some day when we retire and Joe does not
need to wear all those postal uniforms and I do not need to wear scrubs , I can free up a closet and then make room in the closet in my craft room. I want to take the doors off and put all shelving in it.

You deserve an A+ on your wonderful space!!

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comments!!

Hugs to Beansie Babbles from Debbie -Dabble!!

crochetwithtamara said...

Hi Tina!

I love what you have done with your space. I have one suggestion; crochet a cover for your lampshade. Wow you have gotten a lot into a small space. Love it.

HUGS, Tamara

Sharon said...

I think your place is awesome. Just shows, give a crafter any size space to work in and she'll be able to make something from it. hugs Sharon

Sue @ Miss Phoebes Perch said...

I love what you have done with your small space. We just bought a small getaway place with a tiny second bedroom, and you have given me some great ideas for closet storage because of course (!) I will want to get creative sometimes when I am up there. Many thanks for visiting my space also! XO Sue

Susan Clayton said...

I think Where Blogger's Create has given many of us a chance to think about our 'space' and what we want out of it. I think you've done a great job at organizing and making the most of your space. Loved my visit!

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Hi Tina. You have done a wonderful job with your tiny space. Yea for you! I think I would paint the chair white and paint the seat pink to match the dots and some of your other accent pieces. And I would leave the walls white because your space is so tiny. Colored walls will affect your light very quickly in such a small space.
Thank you for stopping by my studio. I love your fairy suggestion. I'll have to be on the look out for one. I might even have one in my stash somewhere.
~Elizabeth

Denise said...

I love Your beautiful space to craft in. You've made it so inviting.I would love one of My own little spots just like that.We seem to have a lot in common so I'm following You:)

CATHY said...

I love your little space! You did an amazing job with the space. I often think if I had a smaller space with less stuff I would be more creative. When I take a handful of stuff to a friends and I know it is all I have to work with - I am more productive. At home, I spend hours looking through stuff to find the right thing...time that that should have been spent on creating!

Art and Sand said...

When we put out minds to it, we can find a place to create even if it isn't a huge space.

I like the shoe holder idea. I have one I am thinking of removing from the closet so I can create another wall like yours.

I too have a rolodex (not a real one) that I am constantly adding to. I almost removed it because it takes up space, but I like to look at it. We need to surround ourselves with things we love too,.

I worked in my space, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and today and IT IS STILL CLEAN. It is amazing what you can do when you have a place for everything.

Thanks for dropping by my space.

Lucy said...

Thank you for commenting on my studio.
Your studio looks great!
I use the show holder thingie too, I store my paints in it.
Hugs Lucy

Duni said...

Hi Tina! You did a great job utilizing every corner of your little space! I love the polka dot drawers and the altered rollodex - so wonderful! Great idea to use a shoe holder to hold craft items. I need one!
Thanks for sharing your space!

Judy said...

WOW! Your craft room look so nice! Have a great day. :)

Becky @ Vintage 541 said...

Great job organizing all those supplies in such a small space! I too love to use those clear shoe organizers for supplies. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am your newest follower too!

Becky @ Vintage 541

Encre et Couleurs said...

One does not need a large space to create, a corner of a table might be sufficient.
You have created a very cosy creative place of yours.
thank you very much for stopping by my own studio and for your kind comments on my painting.

Bonjour de France

Hélène

Chrislyn said...

What a great job on your studio. It's amazing how much you can fit into a small space. There is always room for more--right? LOL I love your rolodex idea! As far as the room color--I like the idea of matching up one of your boxes. I think a bright color will help with the lighting.

Thanks so much for your visit!
Chrislyn

Nanna said...

great use of a small space, everything looks si organized & inviteing
Helen

Marilou said...

You did an amazing job with your space and you should be proud! Have fun visiting all the spaces, you will find many wonderful ideas by your visits.
Hugs and thanks for sharing!
Marilou of Lulus Lovlies

Donna said...

Hi Tina - Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your nice comments. You've done a wonderful job creating a cozy and organized space. Have fun spending lots of creative time in there!

Michellee said...

Love your cute space. I love all your organized ideas. Thanks for sharing your space. I too have tried to create a space in a small closet.

Wilma said...

Hello Tina,

What a wonderful job !!
Creating such a beautiful studio in this small closet. I love it !!
And so organized!

Wilma, Shabby Royale.

Creative Grammie said...

Aloha Beansie,
What an amazing job you did transforming your walkin closet into your creative space! So organized and creative!
I feel a little small complaining about how small my workspace is. I didn't participate in this year's party, but I did in 2010 and 2011, I'm just having fun visiting everyone this year.
Thanks for a wonderful tour of your amazing space!