Saturday, July 20, 2013

Colorfully Inspired

This week marks the 6th and final week of The Summer of Color, hosted by Kristin at Twinkle, Twinkle.  It's been wonderfully inspiring, and a great deal of fun participating in this event..   It was challenging as well, but that was o.k., because when I step out of my comfort zone, then, of course, I feel like I'm learning something!

This week's choice of colors were a little more subdued, compared to the red and yellow challenge...  This week's suggested colors were sage and sepia.  Here is the journal page I painted, while including these colors into my work, and with this final week in mind...


After a long, hot and humid day, I just wanted to turn on my t.v., set myself right *smack* in front of the fan, and then have FUN with this!  I used sage green for the background, and then I went with small amounts of sepia in the artist's easel, and paint brush.  I used lighter shades of brown from there; on the toad herself, and then on her artist's palette...  Despite my amateur-level skills in painting, I think I "toad-ally" love how this came out!

In the meantime,  I accomplished another small project, in the gradual course of my creating a craftroom.  Yesterday, I hung up my ribbons!


I had a few different ideas in mind to display and organize them, but two factors swayed my decision most.  Cost, and then accessibility.  At the height I was placing the ribbons, I wanted the ease of seeing and dispensing them; so in my opinion, this was the best way to go.  Here you see I used curtain rod supports.


I felt they did the least damage to the walls, but were still the right size, strength, and clearance space for the spools I'd be hanging.  I used (2) 5/16" wooden dowels to set onto the hooks...   and I used 4 hooks, for each dowel, to keep the dowels from slumping towards the middle.  While it doesn't show well in the photo, I still have room for approximately 17 to 20 more spools of ribbon, so the two dowels seem to suit my needs.  My total expense to set this up was $4.00, and then I still had room to set up a scrap piece of wood as a shelf underneath!  The size of the wood was 35" x 3/4" x 3" deep (from front edge to wall)..  Maybe it was floor/wall molding?  I don't know, but it was free, and it was perfect for my purposes!  I used 2 L-brackets, that I already had on hand, to hang it up.  Then I transferred my 39 colorful little plastic storage containers, from the opposite wall, to this little shelf, and and it was a perfect fit!  I can see everything through the clear containers.  No need for labels!...   I'm thinking on, and looking into, which colors of paint I'd like now, for both walls and furniture... taking appearances, necessities, and expenses into account.  More on that eventually.

Never to limit (or should I say control) myself to just one project at a time, here I made up a small batch of paper magazine beads.  I've got them all lined up and set to dry overnight...


And then here you see I'm now up to 6 balls of denim strips...  wound and ready to go, for the denim rag rug I want to crochet.  I'm really not sure how many balls to make, so perhaps I'll wind up about 4 more, and then start crocheting, to get a better idea.


Of course, the more rounds I crochet, the more rag strips I'll NEED.   I have it in mind to make an oval-shaped throw rug approximately 36" long by 23" wide, to fit under the new island/table I just got for my kitchen.  In time, by trial and error I guess, we'll just see how this goes, but I'm honestly very excited about this particular project!...

Thanks to Kristin for hosting The Summer of Color..
And thank YOU for stopping by today!
Keep cool!..  And hope you're enjoying the weekend!

20 comments:

Sharon Fritchman said...

Absolutely adorable for the last week of SOC! I just love how you used this week's colors! I love your sense of humor, too!! And WOW! Your craft room is going to be fantastic! I love your projects!!! Thanks for sharing your talent with us at SOC!!!

Ma Teakettle said...

You inspire me miss Beansieleigh! You are your own summer of color, and I love it all...especially those denim balls...love!
Your craft room is coming along fab, and I love your organized wall, it's so smart :)
Stay cool and in front of that fan, missy.
Hugs
Ma

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving that toad!! Tooooooooo fun!

Kristin said...

xo
And thank YOU! xoxo

Dawn said...

Your little toady is so cute!! SOC was so much fun, can't wait to do it again next year!

dawn said...

This is toadally a cool page, love the monkey and the use of colors this week.
Great job on craft space, mine needs a makeover badly.
Thanks for sharing!

I had to sit right in front of fan many times this week, so glad we have a cool down today.

Beansieleigh said...

to dawn.. LOL!!! (0; Oh my goodness, I suppose my little toad COULD pass for a monkey!!! Thanks though!.. As for the weather, our poor fans are BEGGING for a rest, aren't they?!! So glad for the break FINALLY! I actually was cold when I woke up this morning, and I couldn't be happier!!!! ~tina

lydiapuenteharris said...

I "toad"ally love how this turned out too. :) And I'm inspired to try carving out a creative space for myself again from seeing your pictures. I think the dowel idea was really perfect for your purposes.

Giggles said...

Very nice journal page and I so look forward to seeing that denim rug...love the idea of it!!

Hugs Giggles

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I came to see your awesome SOC entry and ended up being entertained by all your creativity. I tried to hang my ribbon on dowel rods, but the dowels broke. Split, in fact. Of course mine probably weren't as long as yours, and I didn't have TWO middle supports, only one.

And it looks like you have fun with those paper beads, too.

Beansieleigh said...

In response to Bleubeard and Elizabeth.. I'm so sorry it didn't work for you! I'm wondering if you used a thinner-sized dowel?? If it were me, I'd give it another go. I've really loaded the both of my dowels up, full, and they're holding up just fine. In fact I just added two more rolls on them today, and still they're holding strong. My dowels are about 36" long, if that helps at all.. As for the beads, they are fun to make every now and then; and so are soda bottle beads! If you've never heard of them, check them out on YouTube! ~tina

Natasha said...

Love all the creativity!! Your page is toadfully fabulous, great use of the colours from this week.

Loved the ribbon holder idea, will be very easy to keep them all organised. :) And your beads and denim balls...all look fantastic!! Good luck on your new rug, I have wanted to do learn to crochet but I have not been very successful at it so far! :)

Prairie Jill said...

I love your SOC piece!! So cute and funny.

missy k said...

What a wonderfully varied post!!!!

Your toad is so sweet!!!

I'm very impressed with your organising of your ribbon and they look so pretty too!

I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with the denim 'wool'... something else I have never heard of -but it seems like it will be a fun project!!!!!

Karen x

Elephangaroo Ramunda said...

Your toad is so cute! And I love crocheting with fabric strips, I haven't done that in such a long time-now I have a hankering to crochet!

Beo said...

Ah, here is your toad I was looking for... It's a great one! And yes bring our toads together :)
Best, Beate

Kelly_Deal said...

Love your journal page! So cute! Great ribbon organization too!

Christine said...

beautiful piece for the theme!

Debi Y. said...

Great idea for the ribbon spools - looks nice too. :)

Astri said...

Denim rag rug! Yes!!!