Thursday, June 6, 2013

Down By The Hodgepodge Side

It's a new week's edition of Wednesday Hodgepodge, and here I am, posting my answers on Thursday!   You are welcome to play along by answering the same following questions onto your own blog post.  Then, just add your link to the bottom of Joyce's post, at From This Side of the Pond.  So let's get things started...

1)  Have I learned more from success or failure?...    Answer)  Off the cuff, I'd probably say by failure, because I have learned some tough lessons the hard way, and I have faced some harsh realities despite the kinder world I wish we lived in.  But I try not to dwell on failures and disappointments...  And honestly, I'm not so sure now how to answer this.  I think my greatest success in life was having my children, and I could never dream to do or have anything better!


My kids are my greatest blessings, and they have taught me a greater love than I have ever known all my life.  I think that has to far-outweigh any lessons I've learned from any failures all put together!

2)  What did you call your grandparents when you were growing up?....  Answer)  I called my father's parent's Grandma and Grandpa, and my mother's parents Nana and Grampy. 

3)  I'm invited to a luau.  In keeping with that theme, what dish would I bring to share?...  Answer)  Pretty quickly, I imagine I'd be bringing a pinapple-coconut-flavored cake of some sort, decorated with brightly-colored flowers, and a hula dancer dolly setting atop of it!..  Of course, I couldn't forget beverages..  Maybe a big pitcher of Mai Tai?!

4)  Besides Jesus, what one person's life story do you think everyone should know?...  Answer)  Gee, off the top of my head, I just remember, ever since I was a kid, loving the story of Helen Keller...  To accomplish all that she did, despite the limitations and challenges she faced, is a great inspiration.

5)  "Don't sweat the small stuff."  Agree or disagree?....  Answer)  I agree.  It's like choosing your battles. I think you have to face the big issues at hand, but you should shake off the trivial stuff that really doesn't matter...  And most importantly, above all, count your blessings!

6)  June is National Rivers Month.  a) When were you last on a river?  b) What's the prettiest river you've ever seen?  c) What's a river you'd like to see?...   Answers)  a) I think the last time I was on a river, was when I was on a business party river tour of the Hudson River...  b) I remember riding in the boat with my family down the Banana River in Florida.  I thought the weather and screnery were both very nice, but my favorite part of the whole day was when a dolphin came right up to where I was sitting on the boat, so close, as if to say "hello"!..  I loved that, and will never forget it!...   c)  A river I'd like to see would probably be the Nile River, in Egypt, where Cleopatra once ruled, and surely traveled often, by way of the river.

7)  Speaking of rivers...  Paddling, swimming, fishing, or bird watching safely from the shore?  Which activity would you choose?...   Answer)  I've never felt 100% comfortable swimming in waters where either sharks, snapping turtles, water moccasins, stinging jelly fish, or any other of the sort reside!  Give me a nice clear, clean swimming pool, and I'm happy!..  So I guess in this instance, paddling a canoe sounds like fun, but I'd be just as happy fishing and/or bird watching from the shore!...  Hmmm...   Can't I just do all three?

8)  Insert your own random thought here:
From a popular children's poem, written by Eugene Field...
  
"Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe.
Sailed on a river of chrystal light,
Into a sea of dew."

Thanks to Joyce for hosting this event,
and thank YOU for stopping by today!


12 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I am going to tell you what - at the luau here - we are all bringing pineapple - lol - just in case the other food doesn't work out.

And I agree about learning from trials.

Have a good day.
sandie

crochetwithtamara said...

Hi Tina!

It was fun reading all your answers to the questions. I'm with you on not sweating the small stuff! Life's too Short!

Love you, Tamara

Angie said...

Yum, the luau cake sounds good. :)

Loved your Elizabeth Taylor pic. She was the best Cleopatra! I think it's the Nile that flows south to north. It just sounds fascinating to me.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Leann said...

HI Tina


This was fun - loved you answers and the photo of you with your kids - BEAUTIFUL!!!

No time to play along right now but maybe someday!

xo

Teri said...

Your answer to number one was spot on. I feel the same way about my kids.

Sandy said...

I always wish people would leave the coconut out of things, it's funny how many people dislike it, and yet it's a huge item in many baked goods.
Sandy's

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I believe I have lost more from failure but I did get more self confidence with success. I thought pineapple right away. I believe we will have an overload of pineapple at our luau according to all the answers I read. Helen Keller is a great choice. I like fishing from the shore. Have a nice weekend.

Sandy said...

Me again, making blog rounds and inviting everyone to Memory Monday, a way to make Mondays better and don't we all need that!
No more dreaded Monday's

My Kid's Mom said...

Helen Keller is an awesome choice.

DaCraftyLady Debb said...

cake is my choice...great answers Tina....I called my g-parents..nana and papa....same as my kids did...funny how it continues generation to generation...~~ Debb

Audrey Pettit said...

Great post, Tina! Always fun to read your answers! Love your answer for number one....hits home to me, and I couldn't agree more with every word you said! Love that you chose Helen Keller, too. Should be an example to us all!

Deepa Gopal Sunil said...

Nice to see and read such lovely stuff here...I feel like I know you now :) I must say I am greatly fond of Helen Keller as well...and River Nile! I have wished to travel through the 'mythical' land of Egypt... "The barge she(Cleopatra) sat in, like a burnished throne, Burned on the water(Nile)"...
ps:Thanks for stopping by Beansie :)
Deepa
http://deepazworld.blogspot.in/