Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Just kinda stumbled upon a new weekly event, at From This Side of the Pond, so I thought I'd give it a quick try.  Please join in with Joyce and everybody, if you like!...  Here are my answers to the questions presented this time around:


1)  May is National Blood Pressure Month.  What sends yours soaring, either literally or figuratively?  What calms you down?   When did you last have your BP checked?

Answer:  Well, I take it that this issue is one of the perks of turning 50?  I have always had low blood pressure, but now it seems to be taking new direction, and wandering a bit, so I have to keep my eye on it.  The last time I had it checked by a doctor was about 6 months ago...  I think?  My father gave me a BP kit, but I admit I don't exactly pull it out on a regular basis to check on it.  I would say trying to do too many things at once (thus, of course, leading to frustration) would be the frontrunner for pushing my BP up;  so I just try to take things a little easier, and  for now, I just try to watch my salt.  I exercise.  I take my potassium pills...   and just hope that all helps.  Sometimes my son will say, "Mom, remember your blood pressure.  You want me to help you?"...   Right away, no problem seems so big anymore, and I just have to smile. 

2)  You found $1.  What do you spend it on?  $10?  $100?

Answer:  I imagine I'd just throw the dollar towards either my next quick run to the market, or towards my next bank deposit...   A dollar isn't much, but every little bit helps, right?!...   If I found $10, I'd treat me and my kids to ice cream!....    And if I found $100, I honestly think I'd be torn between feeling elated and guilt-ridden, worrying who might have lost it in the first place.  But I guess if I was to spend it, maybe I'd spend half, and donate half to a good cause...  like St. Jude's Children's Hospital, I think.

3)  Mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) food  has been proposed, but not yet enacted in the U.S...   How much attention do you give food labels before you buy?  Is this an issue I feel strongly about?

Answer:  I do pay attention to labels sometimes, but admittedly not all the time.  However, I like the idea that every company, farmer, or producer of whatever kind put a fully-detailed label on what we are INGESTING!  I think that's definitely the right and proper thing to do.  I fail to see why that should raise the prices, though, when labels are pretty much mandatory on most everything we buy now anyways, right?  What would be the horrific additional effort producers have to put out, just to type a few more words onto a label?...  I don't know.  Is it that hard?!...   Cry me a river!

4)  May 15th marks the birthdate of L. Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz.  At this point and time, are you in more need of brains, courage, heart, or a trip back home?  Explain.


Answer:  I'd say brains!  I often call myself the national poster child for the saying, "Haste makes waste."  I tend to rush too much during the course of a day, which just causes more confusion, mistakes, and frustration.  I feel like a chicken with her head cut off; or like they say, I'd constantly be losing my head if it wasn't attached.  Typically, I can think, and remember things, much more clearly and reasonably, if I just slow down and focus on ONE thing at a time!

5)  "There's no place like home" is an oft repeated line from Baum's book.  When was the last time you felt the truth of that statement?

Answer:  When Dear Son and I got caught in the pouring rain, recently, while walking the dog 'round the neighborhood!  Thank goodness we weren't too far from home, but we were soaking wet just the same.  We were glad to get back, to change into some warm, dry clothes!...  And I remember hot tomato soup sounding good for lunch that day!

6)  Steak...   Yes, please?...  or No, thank you?

I like steak, but on my budget, we don't eat it very often!  I'd also place my trust in cooking it in almost anyone else's hands but mine!  I've gotten better with it now, but I remember a time or two, when a steak I'd cook resulted in a texture comparable to that of shoe leather!..  I'd then be so totally disgusted with my culinary failure!  Dinner would be a very quiet one that night...   peanut butter and jelly sandwiches it was, and, like Shania Twain used to sing, you'd all "better say, mmmmm, I like it that way."!!

7)  When was the last time you were in a genuine hurry?

Answer:  Well, I think I just answered that in question 4, expressing this might be most of the time;  but I'd say specifically, the day before Mother's Day.  I tend to bite off more than I can chew, in the way of projects, goals, and/or responsibilities, sometimes.  On Saturday, I baked three different batches of assorted homemade muffins; and THEN, I had the crazy notion to still try my hand at making a jello-shot cake!!..  (aka:  Spiked Rainbow Jello Mold)...  Well, ya know..   We thought...    Just for fun, right?!


The fact is, it took me HOURS and HOURS to make this one fun little dessert, no matter how fast I tried to rush it.  In between each layer, I'd wash a few dishes, or work on other preparations for Sunday. My suggestion to anyone thinking of trying to make it?...  Clear your schedule for the day!


I do think it came out kinda pretty; but the thing is, after only about 3 small slices of it on Mother's Day, the sweet fruity jello taste was just not doing anything for me.  Honestly, I felt like I was getting a little nauseous on it!  We, in fact, still have leftovers.....    BUT...   I guess I'm glad we can say "At least we tried it!   It's a fun memory to look back on!

8)  Insert random thought?

Answer:   Hmmm...   (0;  "You'll always miss 100% of the "shots" you don't take"?!  (Wayne Gretzky)

Thanks to Joyce for hosting Wednesday Hodgepodge,
and thanks to all for stopping by today!
  

21 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Now I love that you joined her. I think her questions are awesome and really take some thought and we get to know one another better.

Now here is where we are kindred spirits.

"Haste makes waste." I tend to rush too much during the course of a day, which just causes more confusion, mistakes, and frustration. I feel like a chicken with her head cut off; or like they say, I'd constantly be losing my head if it wasn't attached. Typically, I can think, and remember things, much more clearly and reasonably, if I just slow down and focus on ONE thing at a time!

That is me too!

Have a good day!
Sandie

Kristina said...

How interesting. Yes, I agree, great questions to answer.

crochetwithtamara said...

Hi Tina!

Of course I love all of your answers to all the questions and smiled at most of them because you description was similar to how I am. Thanks for sharing.

Love and (((HUGS))) Tamara

Havfaith Sunshine said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog

Lucy said...

Seeing how right before I read this I rushed to change a load of laundry splashing bleach on my brand new Keds, which I loved and ruined them, your ,"Haste makes Waste" is glaring at me. I am so mad at myself I can hardly see anything at this moment. Your jello dessert does look good but I know what you mean, sometimes a few bites is plenty.

Lucy from Lucy's Reality

Leann said...

Loved these fun questions. I'm on the low BP end right now - they keep an eye on mine.

Love Love Love the Wizard of OZ!!!!

Happy Wednesday!
Leann

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Welcome to Wednesday Hodgepodge. High blood pressure runs in my family but at some point it does hit most people as they age. My daughter is a haste makes waste person. I like your random. Nice to meet you and thanks for stopping over.

edshunnybunny said...

Thanks for joining The Hodgepodge today, and for visiting my blog.

Brains seems to be the popular answer to question #4, probably because so many of us are over 50 :)

That was an interesting dessert that you made! It sure is pretty--and yes, I tend to bite off more than I can chew, too.

Lea Culp said...

Well, Tina, what a delightful blog you have and thanks so much for stopping by. I enjoyed all of your answers so much and I've done a similar jello mold and agree, it is so pretty but not worth the trouble.

I, too, can sometimes rush from here to there and get myself in such a tizzy. LIke you, I find it much better to just pace myself and methodically go through the day.

Sweet blessings to you!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Love your random 'quote' for #8. So, true, so true. In so many ways.
As for the jello rainbow cake...I like it. Never tried making it, but your photo shares are super. I can only imagine the time frame for making it too. Wow...kudos!!

It was sure nice of you to stop by and say hi!!! I was thrilled.

Stacy said...

Darn! I was thinking the jello shot cake looked like a good idea, but it's probably not going to happen if it takes all day. :/

Thanks for popping by my blog yesterday. It's nice to meet new friends.

LynnMarie said...

So glad you joined the Hodgepodge and yes, Joyce comes up with best questions. Love the multi colored cake but it sounds like way too much work. guess I'll just wait for some one else to make it and I'll bring the forks.

Stephanie said...

Oh I love your $10 answer! My firstthought was a very selfish one, Starbucks for me :)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Great questions and food for thought! Speaking of food, that jello shot cake looks so pretty!

Carol

Zoanna said...

Welcome to the family of Hodgepodgers! Hanks for visiting my blog. That jello cake and mug are perfect in a " mug" shot! I have no patience for things that take all day to make. I love to cook but a half hour prep is about my limit! I like your 100 dollar amswer. Generous .

Sherry Thecharmofhome said...

What a cool jello dessert! I wouldn't try to make that. I recently made a blueberry pie that took a lot of my day. Thanks for stopping by!
Sherry

Suzanne McClendon said...

I've never tried making a jello mold, but yours sure is pretty!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. We have the same thoughts on the labeling issue. How hard can it really be? :)

Have a great weekend!

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Tina,
Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Yes, I have high BP and take 3 different pills for it and have done so for about 10-15 years now.No steak please...I am not a big meat eater...
I try no to hurry anymore...raises one 's BP!! LOL!! I plan ahead and am always on time...

Hugs,
Deb

Edoardoprimo said...

Ciao
sei brava, complimenti!!
Cordialmente, Edo

Audrey Pettit said...

What a fun post, Tina! Love to read your answers. You make me smile! I'm a bit of a chicken with her head cut off type of gal, too.......:)

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Tina,
Thanks so much for stopping by!!

I do love my rugs and I was so lucky to be able to buy the dollhouse things for that cheap!!

Hugs,
Deb