Friday, May 31, 2013

Latest 'Round Here

May 31st..  How is that possible, I ask you.  We've had a fair share of rain here; more than all the showers you'd typically expect in April.  We even had a big tornado scare, but thankfully we never experienced any!  Still, I'm not complaining.  Flowers are blooming everywhere, and I particularly love the scent of lilacs, fresh cut lawns, and even barbecues, as we enjoy our walks with the dog these days!..

'Round the house,  I'm gradually adding some of my summer/patriotic decorations.  Seasonal/holiday decorating is always fun, I think!  Never the same ol'-same ol' to stare at day in and day out.  Instead, I'm changing things up a bit; and immediately, no matter what problems or worries life may be dishing out at any given time, I see and feel something to celebrate!  Life is good, and I thank God for every day!

So, let's see...  tracking back just a bit on what I've been up to, arts-and-crafts-wise...  Here's a dishcloth I crocheted, following the pattern at MoCrochet, called Alwine's Dishcloth.


Soon after, I wanted to try my hand at the Bobble Kitchen Sponge pattern, found HERE.  I want to make another one or two in navy, or maybe in some variegated colors, but I'll have to order those online, when I get around to it...


Next, I tried to improve upon a cheap, tarnished old pair of hoop earrings, by crocheting over them.

I think these will be cute for the summer.  They are a little heavy on the earlobes, so I don't wear them for too long..  just the day, and then I switch to a lighter pair. 

So-ooo, I'm wondering how many of my blogging friends have been bitten by the Pinterest bug!  I must confess, I am HOOKED!  Somebody save me..  I'm pinning, and I can't STOP!  If you'd like to see the boards I've put together ("so far", she says with a grin), then just look to my right side bar, to direct you there.  While perusing other peoples' boards, I've been seeing a number of patriotic Christmas trees, I LIKE that they're not just for Christmas anymore...  Well...  I mean I still keep my big tree special, just for Christmas;  but I have a 3-foot table-top tree that I keep out now, year-round.  Below are some crochet stars I made, as I start to decorate it for the summer season.  You can find how to make these by watching the Crochet Geek tutorial-video, HERE.


With garland and lights, my patriotic little tree was still looking bare; so I recycled some juice can lids, and with some decorative papers and trims, I made them into ornaments!


Here's how the tree looks so far...  It sits atop my t.v. entertainment center, so I always have to climb, to get a half-way decent picture of it.  (sigh..  The things we do for our blogs!)

 

I'm happy with it, but it still needs a little somethin'-somethin'.  I'm not done with it yet.  I don't know..  a little glitter?  I'm thinking maybe a couple of little birds?...   A patriotic-type of tree skirt would be nice!..  Any suggestions?...   Well, if you want to see a tree on a far more grander level than mine, HERE'S where I always find inspiration, at Debbie-Dabble!  She always decorates the most beautiful trees!!

So-ooooo...  Just last night, I adopted (sounds so much nicer than "purchased") a new little addition to my family.  O.K...  Now don't laugh.  He's only a fish, I know, but I still love him!  I've been wanting a pretty little betta for sometime now, and I finally bought myself the glass container, some food and stones, and finally this little guy right here!...


As clear a picture as I could get at the time, but when he fans-out, he's absolutely beautiful!  All-in-all, I think he's happy here!  He's quiet..  doesn't say much, or eat much. (ha! ha!)...  I named him Elijah Blue (after singer/actress Cher's son's name!)

That night, I did a quick art-journal page about him.  

I say quick, in terms of the painting, but the part that took the most time was cutting out little pieces of an old CD, to look like shiny, shimmery stones.  With those, and some stickles on the bubbles, I TRIED to create that kind of a look on my page, in the hour-or-so time slot I had while watching t.v. before bed!

Well, that's it for now!
Thanks so much for stopping by,
and till next time...


8 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a lot of gorgeous stuff! You have been really busy! Valerie

Debi Y. said...

Hi Beansie. You've certainly been busy. I really like your patriotic tree - it's pretty - and I think your idea of a skirt would look nice. All of your ornaments look great too. Love the earrings - it's a good feeling when you can make something old look new and pretty again. :)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Well, what lovely projects you have completed! They all are so pretty! The earrings are so cute. A fantastic transformation :)

Andria said...

I love those crocheted earrings...what a great idea! I've just recently gotten into Pinterest, and it's amazing how much time I can while away looking at all the pretty pictures! :-P

myletterstoemily said...

what a great idea to have a fourth of july
tree! your handmade lovelies look so
patriotic!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow!! You have been busy!! LOVING those earrings!!!

Sandy said...

Your little tree is cleaver...changing it for season and holidays very nice idea. I've thought about it from time to time but never seem to do anything that isn't for Bridge and Beyond that I'm going to donate. I do need to find a balance I think.

Sandy's Space

Audrey Pettit said...

You are a girl after my own heart with the seasonal and holiday decorating, Tina! LOVE it! Your patriotic tree is looking amazing. I was thinking that some kind of skirt would be a great touch, just as I was reading your comments. Perhaps you could crochet one? You are sooo talented! Loving your new little buddy. Your art journal page is fabulous. What you did with the CD is just brilliant!