Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Yay!.. A Snowday!!

I woke up this morning to find a winter wonderland outside my window...  And nothing was even plowed!  We homeschool here, but we do so in connection with the school, so we follow the school year schedule.  If the school gets a snowday, then WE get one too!

"Hmmm", I thought..
"By the looks of things, I guess we'll be staying IN!"


So-oooo, I thought to myself again, "What can I do today, that I've been wanting to do, but haven't had the time?".....

Said myself, "I feel like sewing!"


I set up my sewing machine, warmed up my coffee, found one of the projects I've been wanting to make, and just got to it!  Handmade Harbor has an awesome tutorial to make a really sweet Heart-Shaped Scissor Keeper.


Well, how many pairs of scissors do I have around here?..  I couldn't even tell you, but I was sure I could fill a helpful little organizer like this with little trouble!

My first thought was that I could recycle some old blue jeans for the biggest background heart of this project, but no.  The ones I had were much too thick, and when considering all the layers that need to be sewed together...  I just wondered if it would be too much for my machine.  So, I dug through my fabric stash, and came up with just the right colors, some gingham, and a plaid that I thought would look nice together!  I cut out my pattern pieces, then all my fabric pieces...  and whir, whir, whir went my sewing machine; so happy to be taken out of storage, to be played with and appreciated again!  Next thing you know, my little Scissor Keeper was done!


So here it is empty, and then filled.  Hmmm..  I shouldn't be surprised if I might need a second one for the kitchen!  It was really very easy to do!  If you find yourself saying, "I'm just not that experienced to try this", then DON'T!  This is a great project for beginners!...  Don't be shy.  Give it a try! 


For now, I'll hang this one in my little craft corner!
I really love creative ideas for storing my craft supplies;
especially in a pretty way like this!


Well, I hate to "cut this short"....  (ha! ha!)
My thanks to Wendy for sharing her tutorial.


And thank YOU for stopping by today!

  

16 comments:

Caroline said...

What a darling project! We've got snow here too! Stay warm!

Yarnjeannie said...

How cool is that! I wish I could sew, but then I'm so busy with crochet...

Shari Nelson said...

So cute! Love it, I might have to make one myself!

Andria said...

This is SO clever and cute. I am thinking I want to make one, especially for the girls' smaller-sized scissors. Other things could tuck in those pockets, too. Darling!

Debbie said...

Wow...you did a wonderful job! I LOVE the one you made. Wendy's is beautiful too but I am drawn to yours. Thanks for the tip...very sweet.

Wendy said...

Yours is lovely! I'm so pleased my tutorial was useful to you - my scissor keeper is really useful in my sewing room, and I may make another for the kitchen too.

DaCraftyLady Debb said...

I seen that scissors holder and thought oh how cute, then I scrolled down and thought WOW that is big. What a cool holder. Great project...~~Debb

kitty said...

What an adorable project and you did a great job!!!

Leann said...

Cute and I love your pin cushion too! Lucky for you that you follow the school's schedule. I wish I had that opportunity:)

Lean

Melissa Skidmore said...

I LOVE a snow day! We haven't had one yet this year!? Oh, well. Maybe next year? The scissor pouch is so cute! Glad you could enjoy a little time sewing! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

What a cute and functional project to whip up on a snowy day. Cute! :-)

Jann Olson said...

Super cute! Snowed here today too. I should have stayed home and sewed. I have a few quilts that need finishing. But no, I chose to go galavanting instead. lol! Now following you.
hugs,
Jann

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Tina,
So cute and practical to boot!!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Hugs,
Deb

Jess said...

Cute project! Congrats, you have won over on my blog for the Celebrate Oz blog hop! Please e-mail me at jessica.m.moore@gmail.com so I can send you the images! Congrats again! http://scrapsavings.blogspot.com

Audrey Pettit said...

My gosh, how stinking adorable! And so useful, too! Love this, Tina!

roshan shastri said...

nice creation, and great idea. thanks for sharing it.


love solution