Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pick A City, Any City

Today, I'm sharing a little bit of art-journaling, AND crochet projects; which, actually, I guess, seems to be the norm lately.  But I hope you'll enjoy seeing some of what I've been up to most recently, artistically anyways....

First, for List It Tuesday, the idea was to pick a city you've never been to, do a little research about it, and then list the places you'd like to visit there.  Being I had a grandfather who always taught me to be most proud of the Irish in me, and with the knowledge that my ancestors came from County Cork, Ireland...   AND, well, since this is a case in which I can dream of going anywhere in the world I wish, then sure -n- begorrah, County Cork it is!

In my art journal, I made a two-page collage spread with side-folding flaps.  Open the left flap to find I did some journaling expressing what this spread/challenge is about.  Then open the right flap, to find I listed the places I would like to visit in/near County Cork.


On the main/base pages, themselves, you see that I printed and added a map that I found online, showing County Cork located in the southern-coastal area of what is the twentieth largest island on Earth. 

(On bottom left flap, see Celtic tangle pattern I attempted drawing.  I found it to
seem a little trickier to draw than I expected, but I guess it looks o.k. enough.)

From there I just played, adding scraps of papers, tickets, 
a tag, and paper doilies...


a wee fairy, so cute, sparkly, and ready to 
take on the world...


...then a scrap copy of some Irish music, homemade washi tape, and scattered shamrocks. To the right side of the page, as shown below, you can see and read my list of only some of the places I would like to visit, if I could.  Oh, but even to just walk the country side there, to see the beautifully vibrant green landscapes I've only heard of, I can only imagine.


Did you know?... While many may think that the shamrock is an official symbol of Ireland, you could say it's the national plant;  but the fact of the matter is, the harp is the official symbol, or coat of arms, and has been for as far back as medieval times.  In the late 1700's, the Society of United Irishmen were most instrumental in making the symbol official; in the spirit of freedom and equality, their seal included the motto, "It is now strung and shall be heard".

Well, as I've been taking down the pink, 'round the house, from Valentine's Day, and bringin' out the greens for St. Patrick's Day, so goes the sense of color into other crafty projects I've been making.  Here are some tags I made, inspired by a free class I was taking with Carolyn Dube.


She shared some great suggestions for stencils and various supplies you could use; but if I might add my own suggestion, I found an awesome set of plastic reusable stencils right HERE!  I absolutely LOVE them, with letters in two sizes, numbers, and stenciled images of sorts too (like flowers, stars, etc.)!  I am SURE I will get great use out of this set, for a very long time!

Next up are some potholders I've crocheted!  First up is a clover potholder I made for Dear Daughter.  Inspired, and pretty much based on the Springtime Luck March 12" Square pattern, by DragonFlyMomof2Designs,  I just decreased the number of rows, to keep it at what I thought to be a good and proper potholder size for the front.  I then crocheted and attached a back.  Next, I added a stem, and then a loop for hanging.


After this, I was really tickled to find a set of crocheted Social Media Hotpads and Coasters!  Right away, I knew one niece who might love one, so I set to work crocheting it as soon as I could.  She asked for green, while I went with blue for myself.


The pattern, and chart were very easy to follow, but I admit I had some minor trouble with the edging, and I think I might have preferred making a row of single crochets around before adding a scalloped round???  I'm not sure, but oh well...  Just for fun, I was happy enough with how they came out, and I will be mailing out my niece's potholder to her today!  I hope she likes it!

Well, that's it for now. 
Thanks so much for stopping by, and...

May your troubles be less,
and your blessings be more,
and nothing but happiness
come through your door.



12 comments:

craftattack said...

What a lot of gorgeous carted goodies! The Irish journal pages are lovely, perhaps you will be able to make a visit some day! Hugs, Valerie

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving your pages!! LOVE that fairy and love love love the FB coasters!!

Lynn Fisher said...

Wow...I've changed my mind. I want to go to Ireland!
What lovely work you do : )
Lynn

crochetwithtamara said...

Wow Tina you've been busy! As always I love the journaling and you may have guessed that I love the crocheted hotpad and coasters. Thanks so much for sharing.

Love and Hugs,
Tamara

Dragonflymomof2 said...

I love what you did with the springtime luck pattern. Love these color together, probably why I love the shamrocks.

Deborah Weber said...

Fun Irish pages - I feel the fairy energy adding some sparkle to your wishes. Hope you get to travel there some time.

Helen said...

lovely crochet pot holders. Love the shamrock one I've yet to make these.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment.

Audrey Pettit said...

Such a fun post, Tina! I so love that you go all out for the holidays, too! Your St. Paty's crochet is adorable. The FB potholders are too cute. And loving your tags and art journal pages. The fold down flaps on the side are such a great idea!

kitty said...

I'm in LOVE with your St. Paddy's Day pot holder! It is soooo pretty.

michelle said...

Some awesome projects love the journal pages and your crochet is wonderful !

Liz Hockamier said...

I have always wanted to go to Ireland! What a fun project. :)
LOVE the shamrock pot holder. It looks hard. I'm pretty simple when it comes to my needle work. :)

Have a great weekend.
~Liz

Leann said...

Well by gosh and begorrah I sure do love the wee bit of Irish crafting you've done. I don't usually do anything for St Pat's except some kind of food.

Love the journaling!

Leann