Saturday, March 16, 2013

Life Mantra #3

Cathy, at Paper Traders Art Blog, is hosting a monthly art journal challenge: Life Mantras Word Prompts 2013.  The challenge is open to anyone and everyone, members and non-members, all skill levels welcomed, and it's never too late to join in!  This month's prompt, the third in this event, is "Live in the moment"; and somewhere in our work we are required to include some element/symbol of time.

If you remember seeing my other two Life Mantra journal pages, then you'd notice there seems to be a running style, or feature, going on here.  Both pages have secret places that open up in some way, to hold journaling, or perhaps tiny treasures of some kind, such as tickets, photos, or whatever favorite items of that sort.  Prompt #1 featured a suitcase.

And then, for Prompt #2, I featured the folded heart.  These little doors, compartments, and hiding places of various sorts are just an added element of fun, I think; and they remind me of how Cleopatra, tells Caesar, in the 1963 make of the movie, "There are doors..  and doors"...  (love that movie!)

Well, anyways, I'm really liking the added challenge to myself, from now on, to include that kind of a component for every Life Mantra journal page.  So here's what I did for Life Mantra #3...


First, you see, by the way I've constructed this particular journal, how several pages have folding flaps.  For something simple, but sweet, and then something that would still go with both the pinks and greens of the two pages I printed and glued in this pretty silhouette.  Then I just stamped "sweet moments" below.  Open the flap to find the silver pocket watch I made!


Using cardboard from an old cereal box, a little scrap piece of chain, acrylic paints, some stamps for the numbers, and a pair of die-cut hands that were given to me, I cut out some circles, and put together my element of time.  For the front of this pocket watch, I knew I wanted some kind of fancy detail, but I knew I didn't want it drawn or painted.  I wanted a more realistic look about it, and so this is how I did it.  I save the metallic covers/seals, that you'll most typically find under the plastic lids of various food products. One might be from a plastic coffee container, or from a jar of peanut butter.  In this case, I used one from a plastic tub of ready-made frosting!  (I love recycling!)
 

I flattened it out as best I could, and then I rubber-stamped a fancy-type of circular flourish design on the back side of the foil piece.


I placed the foil, stamped side up, onto a piece of fun foam, which I stacked on top of an old phone book.  I then took a ball point pen, and traced (not too hard, as you don't want to poke through) over the parts of the image I wanted.  Turn the foil over to the right side, and there I had the raised effect I wanted!  I then added magnets to the insides of the front and back of my pocket watch, to open and securely close it.
 

I glued a small rectangle between the front and back pieces of the watch, to hinge the two together.  Inside the watch, you find the face of the clock and then, below, a journaling spot!  

Along the sides, and then at the right-bottom corner of my page, you'll see I added some homemade washi tape, a couple of smaller printed images of clocks, and then a little paper flower.
  

Next, to the right of my pocket watch, 
is the under side of the flap I showed before. 


Here, I made a paper doily to serve as a pocket.  Inside the pocket are tags I made, one with a handwritten quote to remember.


Finally, here is a glimpse of the complete, open and unfolded layout of both Mantras, Numbers 2 and 3...


My thanks to Cathy for hosting this event,
It's not too late to join in, if you'd like to!
...And thanks to everyone for stopping by today, 
Wishing you all a great weekend, 
and a very Happy St. Patrick's Day to ya!


10 comments:

Beckie Holso said...

Well, aren't you clever! I love how you recycled those lids and they way you used the stamp to emboss it. I think it's neat how all of these pages open up to reveal more. Thank you for participating in our blog challenges and sharing your talent with us!

Chatty Crone said...

Tina - you do very pretty work! sandie

craftattack said...

Lovely work, and always good to recycle! Hugs, Valerie

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are fabulous!! LOVE them!

Yarnjeannie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today, Tina. I'm glad to hear from you. You always have such great posts on your blog. I love to see what you are up to.

crochetwithtamara said...

Well Tina,

All I can say is that you are simply amazing!!! :)

Love and HUGS,
Tamara

Shari Nelson said...

Very clever! I'll have to check this challenge out.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I like what you did with the challenge. It's always good to see such creative work with recycling.

May your feet never sweat,
your neighbor give you ne're a treat.
When flowers bloom, I hope you'll not sneeze,
and may you always have someone to squeeze! Happy St. Patty's Day

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Such a great idea to use a stamp as an embossing tool! Wonderful way to get more use out of your stamps. Love your journal pages and all the pockets. Lovely color scheme, too. So happy you are joining us over at Paper Traders Art Blog with this challenge.

michelle said...

Love your page and so clever with the recycling !