Friday, March 15, 2013

Celebrate Oz 2013

Today Linda, at Olde Baggs 'n Stuft Shirts, is hosting Celebrate Oz for a third year; and this year's theme was to alter something.  Not long ago, a friend had given me several cigar boxes, knowing I'd find something crafty to do with them; and if not, that I would at least use them for storing my craft supplies.  Well I definitely made good use of them, for all kinds of purposes around here, and I'm just about ready to ask her for MORE!..  But anyways, when Linda proposed we alter something, I readily knew what I'd like to alter, with the spirit of the great classic 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz, in mind.  So here it is, my altered cigar box...

Here's a little "before" picture...

I repainted everything black, and covered up that image you see on the inside of the lid.  Once that all dried, you see I focused around the blue gingham of Dorothy's dress.


I decoupaged the image I chose, featuring not only Dorothy, but her friends, Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow as well.  Then, I proceeded to embellish the box with a combination of paper and silk flowers and leaves...


a crocheted flower I made, a fancy gathered trim,
some pearls and bling...


and I used the Graphic 45 line of papers, Magic of Oz, both inside and outside the box.


Inside the lid, I cut up a paper doily to use as corner pockets to add any tickets or tags I might still want to add.  I have not yet seen the movie Oz, The Great and Powerful yet, but I can't wait to, just as soon as it comes to one of the cheaper theaters!  I'm sure I'll be saving my tickets for that!


On the bottom of the box, I added wooden macrame beads, painted in black acrylic paint...  And there you have it!  Finished, and ready to store any favorite little memorabilia I might want to save inside!

If you have not yet seen my mini album, based on my favorite characters and scenes from the movie, The Wizard of Oz...


then I hope you'll also take a look at it, on my YouTube video, HERE.  It is really my pride and joy, of any scrapbooking I've ever done so far!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  
I hope you enjoyed your visit here today, 
and please be sure to stop by Olde Baggs 'n Stuft Shirts
to see what the other participants have shared!


18 comments:

Nichola said...

Adorable and so well executed!

craftattack said...

Wow, wow, wow! Your box is really magically transformed, love what you have made! Hugs, Valerie

Linda Wildenstein said...

love your box...it is so Oz. Thanks for being a part of this silly wonderful celebration of all things Oz. It really is lovely to have you return and do it all over again. Until next year over the rainbow, Oma Linda

Paulette said...

What a great idea and a cool box!
I've got several boxes in my craft cupboard. You've inspired me.
Nice to meet you too on the Yellow Brick Road.
See you around OZ.

Gloria said...

Love the details in the trim and the doily pockets. Beautiful altered work!

mxtodis123 said...

I absolutely love your ideas.
Mary

James C. Wallace II said...

It's easy to tell there's Love in your work. Attention to detail is a dead giveaway...

Per Ardua Ad Alta!

James C. Wallace II
Royal Liaison of Oz

Kim said...

Love this box...the gingham is lovely...the whole thing is really magical..and whimsical and PERFECT

crochetwithtamara said...

Tina!

I just love the box you decorated. You always inspire me with all your thriftiness. I especially love the blue gingham checked and crocheted flower on the top. Love, Love, love it. Thanks so much for sharing.

(((HUGS)))
Tamara

Magic Love Crow said...

Your creation is so beautiful! I love it! You should be very proud! You will be storing many treasures in there ;o) Happy Altered OZ ;o)

Sunshineshelle said...

Oh fabulous box to store lot's of Oz goodies, you made a great altered piece, LOVE it!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow! Your altered cigar box looks like a million bucks! So lovely.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhh that box is amazing!! LOVING those gingham rosettes!!!

Gina said...

Oh my these are both so beautiful!!! :D XXX

maddyrose said...

The box is beautiful! The whole thing came together making it one gorgeous container for Oz momentos.

Lynda B said...

Wow, your box is beautiful! I love the gingham flowers!

Magaly Guerrero said...

You have Oz magic, my lady. And now you have a lovely box where to keep it warm ;-)

April said...

This was a Plain ol' Cigar Box????!!! WOW!!!!! It is Gorgeous!!!!! You have done a spectacular job!! I too have used those Oz papers and love them. Now I want to go and see your mini book!!!