Thursday, February 21, 2013

Put A Little Love In Your Art

Here are the latest scrappy and crochet projects I've worked on most recently.  As you'll find, Valentine's Day provided much inspiration for most of it!

First, here's a page I did for my life mantras journal.


  The theme was "follow your heart".

"Dare to believe that good things are possible when you follow your heart."
~Bryant McGill

I made the heart following a tutorial found HERE.
I made the heart buttons myself, out of cardboard,
tissue paper, and pearl paint.
  

I love how the heart unfolds and opens to allow for personal journaling, photos, or any scrappy tidbits I might want to add.

Next scrap layout shows a card Dear Daughter gave me, on the left; and then just a scrappy Valentine page I had fun making to the right of it.


The right side flips open, for personal journaling underneath.

Next is a full layout, not focused on love, but which I loved to put together! The left side page ispired by Chinese New Year...   the images coming from an old Little Golden Book, The Jungle Book, so worn, probably from a yard/church sale.  It was not worth saving as a whole, but I still knew to hold on to some of the pages for any personal scrapping/crafty needs later.


So you see, I just pasted the images of Shere Khan, the bengal tiger, and Kaa, the python, along with my written, off-the-cuff thoughts of the two relating to this occasion. 


Next page, to the right is inspired by an article I read, and by an art prompt over at Art Geeks.  The idea was to paint your own creatures of whatever sort.  While my creature is not overly imaginative or original, necessarily, I thought the pigtails were a cute touch, and I just had fun sketching and coloring her while watching t.v. last night...


The gold heart was cut from a wrapper, from a piece of valentine candy I was snacking on at the time!  (It's a sickness, I tell you.  I can't throw anything out!)

Finally, my next project to share is in crochet.  I LOVED making this pair of hats for my niece's two young children...  a Mickey hat for her son, and a Minnie hat for her daughter!


The pattern, which can be found HERE, at Repeat Crafter Me, suggested using buttons; but considering their ages, I did not feel comfortable adding them to the hats, worrying about the possibility of pulling them off and choking on them.  I also altered the bottom edges of the hats, seeing as I could not fit them to the kids' heads personally.  I had measurements for circumference, and that was it.  I made the cuffs roll-able/unroll-able for as best an all-over fit as I could make.  Best picture I've got so far, but still, aren't the kids adorable wearing their new hats?!!  My niece loved them, and all my thanks to Sarah, for sharing her pattern!


Well, that's it for now.  
I hope everyone had a very Happy Valentine's Day!!..  
And thanks for stopping by!



9 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving all your projects!! I loveeeeeeee all the hearts and those hats are ADORABLE!!!

Pammy Sue said...

Hiya, Teener!! Those kids in their hats are so cute! I made a Minnie hat for my granddaughter. I thought it was adorable, and she liked it.

Are you all snowed in up there? Hope all is well. You gots a man yet? Email me and do tell if you have any good gossip about yourself. Ha-ha. I have none here. I'm a huge bore. Been on this damn diet since the first week of January, lost 10 lbs pretty quickly, and then BAM! Nothing for the last few weeks. It's those darn steroids I have injected nearly every month. Booooo! Wah! You are nice and skinny, aren't you? Tell me the secret!

crochetwithtamara said...

Hi Tina!

I love all your recycled scrappiness on your journal pages. Lovely! But you probably already know that the mouse hats are my favorite, right? Thanks for sharing.

Love and Hugs,
Tamara

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Love your "follow your heart" journal page.Those buttons you made are awesome. They look like real buttons.
Thanks for playing along with us at our Life Mantras Challenge over at the Paper Traders Blog.
Those are some cutie patooties on the couch!!

Chan said...

I love the little mouse hats. very cute.

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness those hats are adorable, and even cuter on the little ones :)
Great pages and cards.
I thought those heart buttons were real buttons...they turned out perfect :)

Audrey Pettit said...

I so love to see your crafty projects, Tina! I have always loved Disney's Jungle Book,so loved to see your journal page, and those Mickey hats are just the cutest thing ever!

michelle said...

Hi love your life mantra page those buttons look fab and those hats have to be the cutest i have seen . yes the kids are super adorable in those hats!

paintedlady89 said...

Love the secret fold out on your journal page! It makes it fun and you can use it for a hidden treasure!
Hugs,
Gigi