Thursday, September 27, 2012

Counting Crochet Crows

One...  Two...  Two Little Crows,
One, two, two little chairs...
One big girl serves two crows tea,
Behaving grownup as can be...
(adapted from the original Sesame Street song, Two Little Dolls)


Over the past week or so, I've been gradually changing the look around here, redecorating for Fall, and I had it in mind that I would like to crochet a black crow or two.  So I proceeded to see if there was a pattern already written that would suit what I had in mind.  I found the pattern, Jazz-Crow, by Anu Koski, to be just what I looking for!  I loved the size, and the character, and simply went with colors of my own preference.


As I worked on them, in the course of a few nights, while watching t.v., they reminded me of several famous crows, Heckle and Jeckle; Jeremy the crow, from the movie The Secret of NIHM; and those singing crows from the Disney movie, Dumbo.  Of course from there, I even had the song lyrics stuck in my head, "Well I'd be done see'n about everything,when I see an elephant fly"!...  At one point, I did a little research, just to learn a little more about the bird in real life.  They are said to be very intelligent birds, great learners and problem solvers.  They are not easily intimidated, and will chase away larger birds, such as hawks and owls.  But what a shame, that they're symbolized as bad omens, often associated with bad luck and death.  I even read that they've been depicted as vampire watchers!..  Being a big Twilight fan, that was news to me!
Well, whatever the case, I added colorful fabric ribbons 'round their necks, and added fall flowers and leaves to their hats, and I was very happy with how they came out!  One is for me, and one is for Dear Daughter!


In the way of scrapbooking and artwork, I made homemade gesso for the first time!  Gesso is like a primer for the paper you will be painting and collaging upon, but can get expensive for "the starving artist".  Made with simple ingredients, easily found 'round the house, I store mine in an old jelly jar....   And the pages in my journal now smell so NICE!!!
  

If you're interested, you can find Tee's Gesso Recipe HERE. I've seen gesso often used for not just painting, but for collage projects as well.


Next, I put together an art journal page for the current challenge, # 206, at Scrapping The Music.
  

The song of the day there is Rain Red Roses, (found here, or more recently here.  The translated English lyrics can be found here.)  I found the words of the song inspirational, because sometimes I let things get me down.  Sometimes, I am easily defeated, and I find it hard to realize that I'm deserving of good things just as much as anyone else would be...  If I don't have everything I ever dreamed of, it doesn't mean I can't keep dreaming or wishing for them....  And I don't have to dream of just little things.  It's o.k. to dream for big things too! 


Here you see I attempted painting my first rose (and rosebud).  Having worked on it, continuously to get it to look like I wanted, the problem I ran into was not only form, but too much paint, and I began getting more of a pink mess, rather than the red rose I really wanted in the first place.  Still, I think it came out looking like some kind of pretty flower, at least, and now I just look forward to practicing more painted roses.  They don't seem, at a glance, so very hard to do, but again, painting is very new to me.  I just think, done right, they are beautiful subjects to paint, and if I can just eventually master the technique to some degree, I'll be happy with that!


Finally, I leave you with one last picture I took.  We went apple picking over the past weekend, and because my camera wasn't properly charged, this was the only one that came out before the camera died on me.  No, it's not a picture of anyone eating or picking apples.
  

Still I love this one.  It was a perfectly gorgeous Fall day, perfect for picking apples, OR pumpkins, and for spending time with family!...  Soon, my kitchen will be filled with the aroma of fresh baked apple pies!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!


14 comments:

Faith said...

Lucy, what have you been up to? I see...very busy...I remember them crows too, I remember the line " what you want to do, I don't know what you want to do", back and forth they went with that line...Your rosebuds are very good, this looks like Donna Dewberry one stroke...I've been trying to get these down for a while..she makes it look easy as pie...I'll get it one of these days...I like to paint...Apples & pumpkins fall favorite...I love your punkin patch...and your little crow is so cute, and has a personality all his own...I expect that soon we'll be smelling good things coming from your place, wafting down the hall..making us hungry...Fred & I can be samplers if needed....Have a great day...
Hugs,
Ethyl

paula said...

Your crows are adorable.

Ruby Manchanda said...

This is one lovely post.

Heather - The Good Life said...

Looks like you have been busy with your crafts. Your crows are darling and turned out great, I like the story you wrote to go with them. Take care, Heather

Sharon Fritchey said...

I love your red rose!!' I think you did an amazing job with the challenge at STM this week! I also love your crows and pumpkin photo!! Thanks for playing along with us!

Happy Crocheter said...

Tina,

I love everything that you do and I'm glad you found this song to uplift you. I know how hard it is sometimes to stay positive. Someone once told me to keep my chin up and my head held high, and I want you to do the same.

Love you,
Tamara

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

I think your painted rose is beautiful! And so is your whole art journal page - a great tribute to the song! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrapping The Music!

P.S. I love crows and yours are absolutely adorable!

craftattack said...

Lovely post, your crows are just adorable. They are really very clever birds. I have one who hides food under a board on my balcony, and comes back and collects it later! Hugs,
Valerie

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Tina Sweetie...
Oh my goodness gracious, what a beautiful share. Just look at the beautiful things you have made. Love, LOVE the crows. I love them. What an awesome job you did sweet girl.

Your rose is SO, SO pretty. I love it. You did an amazing job, what are you talking about? It is so pretty. The color and mixture is breathtaking. Love it.

Love the site of the pumpkins in the field. That takes me home. So much like Fall.

Have a gorgeous weekend sweet friend. Thank you so much for the wonderful comment on my beautiful Rasha girl. Today has been a really hard day. I miss her bark and her wet nose nudges.

Many hugs sweet friend and so much love, Sherry

Liz said...

The crows are great!!

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Hi Tina!! I am totally amazed by your crocheted crows.they are wonderful.And thanks for the homemade gesso recipe. Going to have to try that.
blessings!!
Cathy

Luna said...

Wonderful post ,love the amigurumis,great job ...Happy Sunday !

Audrey Pettit said...

How fabulous those crows are! OMGOSH they are sooo cute and creative! Great art journal page, too, and I love that you made homemade gesso! You are full of inspiration, my friend!

Bianca said...

Be exedently comming on your blog..just to say how lovely your Crows looks! Have a nice day...and big hug from Holland! toedeloe !