Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Fractured Fairytales?

Who or how many of you remember "Fractured Fairytales" on the morning cartoons?  Well, at the risk of treading anywhere near my age, I do remember them!  They were short animated segments, by A.J. Jacobs, aired and re-aired as part of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, ever since 1959.  (..before I was born, but I watched them more around the later 60s or so.)  If you like, you can see a "fractured" version of Cinderella right HERE.  (A book about these tales, written by A.J. Jacobs, can be found HERE.)

Today, I have a couple of my own little versions of art-journaled, fractured fairytales.  This first one I did was in participation with Scrapping the Music.  The challenge I chose for their 5th Anniversary Party is #5 Frauke's Choice, "I Have A Dream", by Abba.  The line from the song which I was inspired to art journal is illustrated below...

The fairytale I chose to artistically play with was Rapunzel.  In trying my hand at a new texture, I used a joint compound (I call it molding paste, but whatever..), a Crafter's Workshop template, and recycled cereal box for the tower, and then proceeded to make a window for MY version of Rapunzel to sit in.  Hmmmm...  Anybody recognize her?  She looks very familiar, doesn't she?!....   Anyways, I used sticker stars and glitter glue to attempt a magical feel about the whole page.  I used embroidery floss to make my..  er...  Rapunzel's long braided hair.  I glimmer sprayed small silk flowers growing at the bottom of the tower, and added some tiny bling for the centers.

Now, this leads me to share another fractured-fairytale art journal page I did weeks earlier...  My own little Cinderella page.


I often save the DVD covers of my favorite movies, in hopes of maybe using them artistically someday in either my journals or my crafts.  Here you may recognize that same familiar face again!  Gee, she keeps popping up everywhere, doesn't she?!  I heard she told Cinderella to "Take a hike!  Go on..  Get steppin'! He's MINE!"...  Oh, just kidding!  I LOVE the story of Cinderella, and would NEVER do such a thing..  Honest! (sigh)  I digress...   I added the quote from Audrey Hepburn, and then had SO-ooo much fun putting this little carriage together; again, from recycled cereal boxes and corrugated cardboard scraps!  If interested, you can find the tutorial to make one too, via the YouTube video, HERE, by SaCrafters

Last up is a Wizard of Oz page I put together, back from I don't remember when, inspired by the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", and another art challenge which I just never got around to posting...


I simply used a small hodge-podge of materials to put this page together, but guess I never felt compelled to "fracture" this one.  I stayed out of it this time!

So for now, I hope you enjoyed seeing these few pages!  I look forward to hopefully, eventually, doing some more of my own fractured-fairytale-type journal pages.  They're fun, and they just make me smile!  A big "Happy Anniversary" and best wishes to Scrapping the Music!  A bigger Happy Birthday to my brother Gregg!  And a very grateful "thank you" to all for stopping by today!

 


15 comments:

craftattack said...

I never saw the program, but I like what you have made! Valerie

paula said...

LOVED Fractured Fairy Tails . . . I saw them from the beginning, I was 8.

Edward Everette Horton was the narrator . . I always liked him . . . and the little guy sweeping up the mess after the parade . . . he always made me laugh.

D said...

Hi, Beansie,
Yep, I do remember them, and they were so good/funny. Wish they were still on for kids of today to enjoy them. Love your pages, especially Rapunzel.
D

laury55 said...

wonderful...love the dimension in all your work

Sharon Fritchey said...

I LOVED Fractured Fairy Tales!!!! They were so cool when I was young and when I got older, I enjoyed the adult humor of them, too! Your layouts are amazing - I love all of them! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapping the Music for our anniversary month!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are all awesome!! I love love love the braid on that first one!!!!

glor said...

Wow, love your versios! They are wonderful. As far as Fractured Fairy Tales ... I LOVED THEM, Rocky and Bullwinkle and it all. Thanks for the memories from a long time ago.

lena-dailyscrap said...

great work! love all the structures and dimensions!

Linda M. said...

Great pages and I do remember Fractured Fairy Tales. Have a wonderful week. Thanks for your visit. Joyous Wishes, Linda

Audrey Pettit said...

OMGoodness, how fun! I love, love your art pages, Tina! And love that you snuck yourself into some of the pages! The Rapunzel design is fabulous. LOVE the braided hair coming down. And how fun are you as Cinderella! Fabulous carriage you created. and love your Oz rainbow, too! These are just sooooo adorable!

Leann said...

Ahem I remember those too:)

Love your versions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your week!
Leann

Sandy said...

Soooooooooo cute, yes I too remember. Seems we're all "that age". Making rounds today from Sandy's Space

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

These are so CREATIVE and gorgeous! I love how you did the brick tower on the STM page, and also the hair! Thanks so much for playing along with our anniversary party at Scrapping The Music!

phinner said...

LOLOLOL! I remember those cartoons! these are a fantastic pieces of art! great textures and layers. thanks for playing along at Scrapping the Music!

Creations by Tee said...

Tina, I do remember Rocky & Bullwinkle. And I love your art journal pages & all the creativity! What fun creations! Especially adding yourself to create something even more special.
Which seeing this post reminds me I want to do a "it's me' atc swap! Hugs,Tee