Monday, June 11, 2012

Walk The Walk

One of my most favorite pastimes is going for walk with my son!  If Dear Daughter happens to be around to join us, then the more, the merrier!...   In fact, here's a very memorable walk, I'll never forget...   Dear Daughter after her college graduation ceremony.   Yup...  There's my baby girl, walking away from me, with her boyfriend, all grown up now, but I'm so very proud of her  (sniff, sniff).....  This is definitely a walk I'll never forget...


So now, it's just me, Dear Son, and our dog. and some of our best quality time together is spent going out for a simple walk.  While this may sound dull or ordinary to some, I don't dare take it for granted.

Dear Son likes to walk EVERY day.  Everyday, he eagerly asks me, "Hey Mom, ya wanna go for a walk?"   And I confess, there are days, occasionally, when I find myself in utter disbelief at such a notion.   My every thought and emotion are silently screaming, inside my head, "WHAT?   Go for a WALK?!  Are you KIDDING?!  Do I LOOK like I have time for a WALK?!"

 As my mind absolutely races with everything I have to do around here, I think, "HOW in the world can I fit time in for a WALK?!!"  But knowing how much my son really looks forward to this, knowing how much he enjoys it, AND in fact how physically good it is FOR him, I simply do not have the heart to say no....   Even on occasional days such as these, I MAKE the time to walk.  And in the end, I'm always glad I did.

The current scrapbooking challenge at Scrapping The Music is based on the song, "Whole Wide World", sung by Mindy Gledhill, which you should be hearing in the background, from my music player on the right side bar of my blog.  You can find the video HERE.   After watching it myself, that visual image of so many people walking together stuck in my mind, apparently.....

First I grabbed a pencil, and began to sketch on a piece of scrap paper...  Nothing too fancy-schmancy, just a quick basic outline, that led to cutting out paper dolls...  the likes of which I haven't made in YEARS!


I sponge painted the background of the pages in a skyblue-ish acrylic paint. I decoupaged the paperdolls onto both sides/pages of my layout.  The photos I've included are from different walks I've gone out on with my kids.  My theory is, have that camera ready at all times, and take as many pictures as you can.  You'll never be sorry you did!
 

The picture of myself, walking with my new (LOVE this!!) Gone With The Wind shopping bag, from Barnes and Noble.   (*Just heard the sad news;  RIP Ann Rutherford.)


Just underneath this photo, there's an envelope pocket, in which I can keep some personal journaling tucked inside.

Over this past weekend, Dear Son and I took a good LONG walk, as a HUGE neighborhood garage sale was taking place, 'round-about our way.  Having gone last year, we definitely didn't want to miss it this year, and I do believe we would walk a "hundred miles" just to see everything and everybody during this event!...  Unfortunately, the weather wasn't entirely cooperative, and many people who would have held their garage/yard sales, now opted out; while other people only set out half of what they would have, for fear of racing to bring everything back in if it really did start raining cats and dogs.  

Still, I came home with a few goodies;  my favorites being the new set of Corelle dishes, the teapot wall hanging....


...and then this suitcase I got, with the intention to keep doll making supplies inside it.  I recently won a spot in a doll-making class at LaFioReVida.... 


And Brenda, who teaches this class, keeps all her supplies in a case like this.  So, I figured, "If it works for her, then it should work for me!"

Today, the sun was shining, and yes, we went for our daily walk.   Again, it was a very nice walk; but in the end, all I know is this...  Rain or no rain, busy or not, stressed or not, time or not, Dear Son and I ALWAYS enjoy our walks together.  I've never been sorry I got off my duff, or stopped whatever I was doing, to take this time with him.  Every venture out is truly a blessing...   And THAT'S what matters most! 

Thanks so much for stopping by!

 

26 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeee that top photo!! And loving your journal page!! Loving the cutout kids on the side!! And you are just ADORABLE!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that bag!!!!

Lynn said...

That is the best graduation photograph I have ever seen! I got the To Kill A Mockingbird bag. :)

craftattack said...

Yes, it's a strange moments when the kids walk away - but a happy one too! Enjoy your walk through life! Valerie

Parsley said...

Oh my...walking away from you...not long until I see my DD graduate from highschool!

Audrey Pettit said...

I think it's so, so sweet that you take a daily walk with your son! What priceless time that is together to really talk and to just be. So wish I could get my kiddos out there with me! :) Love your journal page. Your paper dolls are just adorable. And such fun yard sale finds, too. Enjoy!

Patricia Roebuck said...

Congrats on the graduation. I can't imagine. So many emotions.

Love what you did for scrapping the music...those little people are perfect!

Sharon said...

My oldest daughter just "walked the walk" too and graduated from high school! I love the art journal pages you made for STM this week! Fabulous! Thanks for joining us!

Beverooni said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your post today. It brought back lots and lots of memories of walks and talks with my own kids. I love your page -- what a great idea. I envy your creativity. (AND I loved the music you chose to go with it today. Perfect-a-mundo.)

Marydon said...

Two beautiful pics ... daughter & bf, AND YOU!!! You are gorgeous! This is the first time I've seen you. Those walks are moments none of you will ever forget.
Love the treasures.

Have a beautiful day ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

DaCraftyLady said...

Oh Tina what a memorable photo of your daughter, I too love to walk and wish that my kiddos were home to join me. Tonight we go to the airport to pick up my "baby" daughter from her trip to Hawaii with her 2 girls and hubby[psst don't let her know I called her my baby girl] she is all grown up now but she will always be my baby girl. :) Love the garage sale finds and cute cute photo of you... I pray that B&N will stay in biz...with everything closing these days its the only "big" book store chain left. :( I just told my hubby that my bike tires were flat and time to start riding my bike again... you go girl!!! ~~Debb

laury55 said...

great LO, love the paperdolls on the side

crochetwithtamara said...

Oh Tina!

I loved hearing about your walks and I did so enjoy all your pictures of some of them. Thanks for sharing and making me think about stopping to make time for those who mean the most to us.

Love and Hugs,
Tamara

Ruby's said...

I enjoyed your today's post thoroughly.

phinner said...

such a great post! soo cool that your son wants to walk with you, a built in partner!

the paper dolls are so cute! what a great page!

thanks for playing along at Scrapping the Music!

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

I love your page!!! Those paper dolls are just perfect for the song, and so are your photos! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrapping The Music!

Crystal said...

How sweet! I love walking myself in fact my daughter and I went yesterday, and yes, I was balking at the thought since the humidity is pretty oppressive of late. Thanks for your visit to my blog. Funny that you mentioned charms because I have an upcoming design that sort of uses charms on a wooden pin. Have a great day! :-)

Leann said...

Tina your post brought tears to my eyes. I am soo missing our boys - enjoy each and every walk. Love the idea of scrapping to music and those paper dolls are too darn cute.

Enjoy!
Leann

Claudia said...

I think it's so great that your son wants to take you along on his walk. That's so lovely!
I think walking with someone, besides being good for you, can open up conversations that might not happen otherwise.

xo
Claudia

Tracy said...

I love that your son asks you to go for a walk, I have to ask my girls :)
I, like you, always try to spend as much time with them, as one day they will all be gone on their own and I don't want to regret not spending the time we have right now.
Fun layout and great finds :)

pooky said...

Great photos beansie!!! You are so right about taking time to do little things that mean sooooooo much! Loved your paper doll layout! So, dang cute!
♥hugs♥
Bev

Faith said...

Got that bread done in time, it is starting to warm up...it feels pleasant in the yard with a mild breeze, but I suppose on a concrete slab somewhere not so much..Hope you got in some baking Lucy..The other night we watched the Long Trailer with Lucy & Desi...nerve racking...but stunning dresses, Lucy is a beauty...

LDH said...

The photo of the grads walking away is a sweet one and a great inspiration for your scrapbook page. Perfect for the photos of your walking partners :)

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

Hi Tina. I have just passed on " The Versatile Blogger " Award to you. Details on my blog. Take care. Marion x

Kerrie said...

Beautiful, Beautiful post! I had so much fun catching up on all your wonderful creations on your blog. Inspiring and spirit lifting always! ♥

Shelia said...

Oh, you're so good! I love your sweet little paper dolls and how you used them in your journal! What a blessing too that your son walks with you each day. Cherish those moments. I wish your daughter the best as her new life journey begins.
I'm so glad you liked my take on the Circle Journal. This one belongs to Grace at http://graceinthepinkcity.blogspot.com/ We all get our journals back in October, so you might pop over and see if she will post it. I know I'll post mine! ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

I Beansie we are swap partners this month for ATC. I received you e-mail address but wanted to come over to visit to get to know you before I start on your cards. Your blog is delightful. I wish I had a son or daughter living near by to walk with me. I sure get to get out there and get these stiff joints moving more. Blessings.
QMM (Peggy)