Saturday, May 12, 2012

Oh.. Oooooh, a Sparkly!

Anyone remember these words from Jeremy, the crow (played by Dom DeLuise), from the movie, The Secret of NIMH???.. Remember when he sees the sparkly stone hanging from Mrs. Brisby's necklace? 

"Oh-oh-ooh!..   A sparkly!  You're wearing a sparkly!"...
"Can I have it?  Can I?"...
"I've always wanted a sparkly of my very own."

Dear Daughter and I frequently (and dramatically... Who?  Us?) refer to the term "sparklies" with each other, whenever we see something pretty and sparkly in the stores we shop in together... particularly at the jewelry displays, of course!..   But we all loved the movie when she and her brother were little.  I can't speak for them, but I can tell you I still love the movie, and will pop it into the dvd player every now and then, whenever the mood might move me to!  It's a sweet story of a brave mother doing anything and everything she can to save her three children from the harm that threatens their home.

So, WHAT in the world got me thinking about Mrs. Brisby's fine feathered friend, you might ask?   Well, it's because of this week's scrapbooking theme, Challenge 198A, at Scrapping the Music!  "Sparkle", by Rubyhorse, was the theme song this week!  (You can find it HERE, to see and listen for yourself.)

When I first heard the title and words to this song, the first thought that came to mind was my daughter!  A good number of the best, most wonderful things are happening for her right now, all at once!...  And she just recently had a birthday!   If there is anyone in my life, who "sparkles" right now, then it is she!  I am so very proud of her, and happy for her!.... 


And so here you see the "sparkly" scrapbook layout I've made in my art journal, where Dear Daughter is celebrating her birthday with an ice cream sundae!  (Hmmm.. I think she LIKES it!  Like mother, like daughter, yes?!)...  The aqua-colored frame, and matching background pieces on the right page, are recycled from a boutique tissue box.  I added the "sparkly" silver flower, and a "sparkly" silver butterfly.  I used silver stickles, and then "sparkly" ribbon, paper, and letters...  And bling of course!  On the bottom right corner of the left page, are the words from the song that meant the most to me...

"And when I feel the skies will never clear, 
you remind me Spring is near.
How you sparkle.  How you shine.
How you rise above the sky...  
And you rise, and you rise."  

...Beautiful words, as true as can be!  Dear Daughter tells me she will be making me breakfast tomorrow, or should I say, it will be more like a Mother's Day brunch, by  the time I can get to her place!  Whatever the case, it certainly sounds good to me, and Dear Son is looking forward to it too!

In fact, I thought I'd do some baking today, so that I could bring a couple of "goodies" along with me, for tomorrow.  (or have some ready for here, should company come later in the day)...  I made a double batch of banana chocolate chip muffins (recipe HERE)...


...and then a batch of cheesecake brownies!!  (the recipe, HERE


Those of you with a REAL sweet tooth, will like these brownies!  They're pretty easy to make, and for something a little different than your typical plain ol' brownie, these are "Yummmmm-my!"

I've been working on some crocheting, with some small projects in mind for Dear Daughter's new home.


First thing she asked for is a plastic bag holder; so she picked out the yarn she wanted me to use, and that's what I'll be working on this weekend.  

So, what else have I been up to?  I participated in a couple of tag swaps.  One was for the Tag A Month Swap, this time with Tee, herself!  I made a wishing well tag for her...


...inspired by the water wells made at SaCrafters.  The quote on the back referred to the month of May specifically..  (but I forgot to take a picture of it!.. Oops!)


Here you see the 2011 penny, as if tossed into the well, for good luck!  I wanted a sky-colored background, so I recycled a billing envelope!  Now, I'm just wondering... Tee, did you make a wish?!

Here are the tag and extra goodies Tee sent to me!


I absolutely love the beautiful vintage tag, and I was so excited to see all the pretty extras she sent along with it!  Thank you so much, Tee!

The next set of tags below, are from the "Night At the Oscars" tag swap, at Mini Album Scraps!  I LOVE the movies, and the oscars, so wild horses couldn't have kept me from participating in this one! 


Aren't these tags GORGEOUS?!!  (I see some SPARKLIES!!!)..  This swap was so much fun, I really hope that Mini Album Scraps will host this swap again for next year's awards!!

Next, I decided to join in on an art journal prompt at Tangles and Stuff.  The theme was based on THIS VIDEO. I'm not real tickled with how this came out, but I think it's that anti-change mode I tend to get set in.  I'm really just learning to "zen doodle", and this kind of made me "step out of the box", ready or not, and into CIRCLES instead! (ha! ha! ha!...  Oh, the horror!)
  

I think perhaps a white background would have worked better, right from the start.  Then it seemed the more I colored it, the less of a "zen doodle" it looked like...  So maybe more doodles/details were necessary for the look I wanted; but I still had fun making this page, and I really liked the theme it was based on!...  

Now HERE'S a zen doodle...


..which was simpler, but which I was much more happy with!  I guess I've still got turtles on the brain, because as I was thrift shopping with my parents last weekend, I came across this little guy!  Isn't he CUTE?!


He's actually about 6 1/2" wide x 5" tall.  He comes with the hanger, as you can see on the top of his shell, but I set him on my coffee table for now.  I think he is supposed to hold a tea-light candle, but I like to use him for burning incense cones instead, which I haven't done in YEARS!  The scent I chose from the wide variety of TWO that Walmart had to offer, is called Dragon's Blood..  Yuck!  Couldn't they pick a better name than that?!..  But I knew I didn't want the Berry Scent, so I thought I try it.  Actually, it's o.k.!..  but I'll keep an eye open for other kinds elsewhere, soon as I can.

Anyways, back to the topic of thrift shopping (church sales and flea market) last weekend, we came across this.


Just wondering, maybe some of you, as you were growing up, gave up your dolls quite readily and easily, in what might be viewed as a "proper" time to???...  But I remember wanting a certain doll for Christmas one year, and my mother asked me, "Aren't you getting too old for dolls now?"...   "WHAT?!  Well, NO!", I thought!  Honestly, I can't remember how old I was, but I just remember thinking, "No!!....   But.. well, I don't know...  Am I?...   WHY?....   Well, o.k., who cares if I like dolls or I don't anyways?!  What was so wrong about that?!"  

"Too many people grow up.  That's the real trouble with 
the world.  Too many people grow up.  They forget..."
(Walt Disney)

Nope, I didn't like the suggestion at all.  I didn't know who set such rules or standards, but it just seemed mean, unfair, and confusing to me at the time!....   Well, as it turned out, I DID get the doll I asked for that Christmas!

Those who know me best, KNOW that to this day, I STILL love my dolls!  I make them, and collect them.  I make new clothes for them.  I save them from getting thrown into the closest garbage bins, or to the curbs for garbage day pick-up, when they didn't sell for even a garage sale price....

It was at one particular church rummage sale that my mother came across the baby doll above (approx. 13" in size), on a table full of miscellaneous used odds and ends of all sorts, and then another doll just like her, but dressed more in pink.  Much older as I am NOW, my mother bought me this sweet baby doll, and then the other pink one for herself! 

THEN, she bought me this doll too!  
(below, a cloth shelf sitter, approx. 16" in size)


Made only of cloth, but she definitely "sparkles" in my eyes!  I'm so glad that Moms can change their minds about things like this!  Thank you for both these beautiful dolls, Mom!  xoxo...  I will love them both forever!

Thanks to everyone for stopping by today!
Wishing everybody a very Happy (*sparkly*) Mother's Day weekend! 

  

18 comments:

SHANA said...

First of all, I love the Secret of Nimh!!! So much. I love sparklies too. The tags are so beautiful and creative. I am in awe of the talent you possess lady. Seriously. I know you are so proud of your daughter and you are going to have a great time making stuff for her i know. I do hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow also.

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

I love your art journal tribute to your daughter! It's just beautiful and what an awesome take on our challenge! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrapping The Music!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You have been busy!! LOVING your projects and your journal page -- I loveeeeee the colored photos!

craftattack said...

Loved your wonderfully chatty and sparkly post. Your daughter looks so happy in the photos, too. And what a lot of pretty things you have made, wow! Have a wonderful, sparkly day, and enjoy your cake and your family! Hugs, Valerie

Sharon said...

Wow - such a busy, busy crafter you have been. And baker - can you e-mail me some of your goodies???? LOL! I love the journal pages you made for Scrapping the Music this week. Thanks so much for joining us!

Luna said...

What a lovely post ,beautiful,your blog is looking so nice .Gorgeous projects too.....wow busy , busy....Love everything.Thanks for visiting! :0)

Happy Mother's Day !

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Super work ... let me know if you make any tags for Tag Tuesday and I'll post them to the blog for you

Best wishes, Carolyn
TAG TUESDAY
http://tagtuesday.blogspot.co.uk

Patricia Roebuck said...

Love what you did for Scrapping the Music, just beautiful and looks like she had a Happy Birthday!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Hi Tina

That would be so great to see your tags for Tag Tuesday :o)
If you can send me a very quick email telling me when you've posted it on your blog I can then put it on TAG TUESDAY
Oh ... this makes me happy :o)
Have a great week ahead

Carolyn x

phinner said...

you definitely get the vote for the best blog post!!!

: .)

what a sweet art journal entry. its cool how you used the different colored photos and the 'sparkly' letters! I'm a fan of the bling too!!!

thanks for joining us over at Scrapping the Music!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness girl you have been so busy - that would take me a week!

I have to say the brownies called me.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Love, sandie

Lynn said...

Aren't you tired from all that busy busy busy-ness! I love it all. And NO< NO< NO< you never can get too old for dolls! Especially that sweet little rag doll.

I have a friend who calls me a raccoon because I am drawn to sparkly things.

Ruby's said...

Busy mother. I loved everything about this post.

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Hey Tina!! Love all your tags , especially the wishing well. SOunds like happy times have abounded. Thanks for stopping by to see me .
XXOOXX
Cathy

Tracy said...

You have been busy.
I agree your daughter does sparkle :)
I tried my hand at zentangles the other day, not sure how I liked it though.
I too love that fabric doll.

Audrey Pettit said...

Such a sweet post, Tina!! I love seeing everything that you've been up to. Your art journal pages and tag swaps are just SO fun and so unique. They truly make me smile. And I love your new thrift store/garage sale goodies. I think that whatever makes you happy is A-OK in my book. :)
You're killing me with those pictures of your sweet treats. I think I'm going to do some baking today. Going to try a new breakfast cookie recipe.

Sandy said...

Think that movie came out long after my time...argh, showing my age again, lol. Cute though that your daughter and you share the fun of still. Very cool.

Making rounds today from my newest blog, Flat Stanley and Friends. Wanted to invite you over for a look see. And since you're a Mom etc, thought you might be able to share stories or pictures of a Flat Stanley adventure.

He needs some help getting started, with visitors, comments, followers, and sharing stories.

DaCraftyLady Debb said...

So busy indeed, how cute is the wishing well tag...lucky daughter to have such a thoughtful mom.. :) the fabric doll is adorable.. how was that wonderful breakfast? "sparkly" oh yes The Secret of NIMH I loved loved that movie,reminded me of "my precious" from "The Lord of the Rings" Disney is right too many people forget how to laugh and have fun, we all grow up and get caught in our busy stressful lives, I think that blogging with our friends is one way to remember how to laugh enjoy others crafts, and kind words and remember to not be so serious or you might miss the "sparkles" in life. Wonderful post Tina...have a great week...
~~Hugs, Debb~~