Saturday, March 10, 2012

Stop and Listen

"Stop, stop and listen for the bough top
Is whistling and the sun is brighter..."


I do love a sweet Saturday morning, so peaceful, with my cup of hot coffee to slowly savor; and while a cold, crisp Winter air still blows, the sun pays no mind to that, shining brightly through my window.  I'm so glad for this time that I can stop everything, rest for the moment, just to hear the birds chirping and chattering, clearly as appreciative of this beautiful morning as I am!

As usual, I've been so busy, during the days, so much to do and keep up with, but in my free time at night, after dinner, I love to visit as many of my Blogland friends as possible.  From there I make myself comfortable, with a pot of tea close by, or maybe a glass of wine, and I crochet, craft, work in my art journals, watch a movie, or read.  These are the quiet moments that absolutely save me, rescue me...  all of us, really, from the hectic demands and schedules a day can bring on.  Thank God for this quality, quiet time at the end of a day!

I have finally finished my Wool-Eater afghan, and thank goodness for THAT!  It is HUGE, measuring approximately 62" x 72"; and because of it's size, it was becoming difficult to work with, getting so large and now heavy!
   


I am so happy with it though!  It was an intimidating project to take on, I thought, at first; but every night I worked on it, the time and effort spent was very relaxing to me, and I enjoyed every minute I put into this bright menagerie of colors and memories.  Last post, I left off working with rounds in shades of pink and magenta, for Valentine's Day.  The next two rounds of green were for, again, a fresh beginning; but this time, these shades of green were meant for my daughter and her husband-to-be, as they just purchased their first home together!  Rounds 23 and 24, were done in white and black, to symbolize a checkered flag, and the two days it took this year for the Daytona 500 race just to commence!  

I was sad to find out that yet another musical talent had passed away in the time I was making this afghan, on February, the 29th.  I loved watching The Monkees on Saturday morning television, when I was a kid, and my favorite song by the group being "Last Train to Clarksville"!  But my favorite song by Davy Jones was "Girl", which was a single he recorded after the Monkees officially disbanded in 1971.  To promote the song, he performed it on an episode of The Brady Bunch, and the words of the song just caught me hook, line, and sinker!  I still love that song, and wish I had it among the small collection of 45's that I still keep!  In memory of Davy Jones, and this particular song, I made a round of bright and sunny yellow, to remember the following LYRICS, "Girl you brought the sun to me", that meant so much to an impressionable young girl with very little sunshine or confidence in herself as of yet...  (See the video HERE.)

Finally, Rounds 26 and 27 are done in shades of purple, in which I found such a fitting color stood for both creativity and nostalgia...   What a perfect way to finish my handmade blanket of memories!  A special "Thank you" to Sarah London, for the crochet-along pattern, and the inspiration to make this afghan!

It wasn't long before I found another quick little crochet project I'd been wanting to try!  This little guy...


my new crocheted rooster, comes by way of a pattern/tutorial from Luna at My Crochet, Mis Tejidos, which you can find HERE


I found a special place for him in my kitchen, where I keep various other roosters I collect.  Here he is hanging near a quilted project I made some time ago, inspired by Debbie at Ribbonwood Cottage!

I've done some art journaling, most often AFTER I crochet or craft, to both reflect, and then wind myself down for the night..   Here's an angel I painted.  She is simple, and looks very schoolmarm-ish to me, but I love how she came out!


Here's a quick little painting I did inspired by the snowfall we had on March 1st.  I miss the yard I used to have, in which I remember making snowmen with my kids...  hence the feelings I put onto paper, remembering to be thankful for what I DO have.


Here is a journaled-collage of things that bring me "joy".


I've even made some of my own homemade-decoupaged paper...


recycled from Andes Candy wrappers, for St. Patrick's Day projects!  I'm not even sure yet, but I think I will be using it for paper beads, and various other paper/art journaling purposes.

Recently, I received some happy mail, from my swap partner Elizabet, for the Tag A Month Swap, hosted by Creations By Tee.  The theme for March was either St. Patrick's Day or Spring, and here is the very pretty Spring-pastel tag she sent to me.  I love it, and even the very cute bird-stamped paper she wrapped it in too!  Thank you so much Elizabet!


I, of course, combined the two themes, and put together this tag for the month of March!  I am hoping she's received it by now, and hope she likes it!


I am so happy, when I can, to find the time to bake.  Before you know it, the warmer weather will be here, and it will become to hot to run the oven; so I am doing my best to take advantage of the time I have now!  I just wish I had a bigger freezer to keep all my homemade goodies in, but oh well.....


Don't these look delicious?!  Here are some Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins I made most recently.  We love how these came out; so this recipe is a keeper, and if you'd like, you can find it right HERE!

Now, here you see I even tried my hand at making homemade Orange Marmalade for the first time!
  

It has a bit of a tart taste to it, as I had trouble converting kilograms to American measurements in terms of cups...  But I'm happy enough with it, for my toast in the morning, and would definitely make it again sometime.  It was really very easy!  You can find the recipe HERE!


So, there you have it...  Just some of what I've been up to lately!  I started to crochet a little something for my kitchen last night, but found the pattern to be difficult to follow, so I am trying another pattern instead, sometime later today.  I hope to do some baking as well, as the colder weather today will be more suitable to do so.  Then, hopefully, we will be able to spend some time outdoors, in the nicer, warmer weather tomorrow.   

Thanks so much for stopping by today, 
and hope you're enjoying your weekend!


  

15 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Absolutely gorgeous projects!!! I loveeeeee them!! And I was sad about Davy too.... :(

Marydon said...

I love that little roo in the kitchen ... & those yummy muffins. Your snowman is a wonderful memory of times gone by. You have been one busy gal.

Have a lovely PS weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

~ GIVEAWAY ends 3/15 ~

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Tina,
Your blog is looking very green and perfect for the upcoming holiday!
You have been busy! I love the snowman you painted and your muffins look yummy. But the homemade marmalade is really looking good to me! How lovely it would be on a biscuit with tea!

Davy Jones was always my favourite Monkee too. He was so young!

Hope you're having sweet weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

craftattack said...

Wow you have been busy, what a variety of projects! Love the afghan and the rooster is totally cute! Great work! Hugs, Valerie

Mama said...

Oh you have been a busy bee as usual! I just love your little roo and may need to make one myself! I do love my chickens so much. The afghan is gorgeous. I wish Ihad the patience to make something so large but I am all about quick gratification lol. I am trying to get back into the swing of things here in blogland and trying to catch up with my faves finally. I started the new blog and am still copying and pasting all of my posts from the other one to this one and dating them back in order so it is taking me forever lol. I am doing new posts as well though. Blaze finally got to start TBall and he just loves it so much. He has a blast and these little ones are so funny to watch out there. His team name is Lil' Monsters and he loves the end where they all pray then pile their hands and yell the team name. I wish you could see him. Adorable. Hope to see you soon!!

Luna said...

Wowww mrs Tina !....first ...love the color ...neer thought about blue and I really like it.good job ...love all your post.Your blog is looking cute....I guess you were very busy ....but love it.....beautiful.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend .

Xo,Xo,Xo,Xo

Anne@A Little Fur in the Paint said...

SO gorgeous! Lovely blog; I'm a new follower! ♥♥
Anne

Mary said...

Girl, you have been busy! You finished your wool-eater afghan and it looks fab! I bet it is warm :) Mmmm, muffins and marmalade look so good. Love the bird on your page and the bird stamps on the tags made for you.
Wasn't Davy a doll?! How lucky we were to have had him for a heart throb ;)

Susie Jefferson said...

Goodness, that quilt! Magnificent! I just had to 'Pinterest' it!

Hugs, Susie xoxo

Sandy said...

The ghan turned out fabulous! Right you are in that it's large. Most of mine are a bit smaller then that; but if I were making it for here, I would go larger. The Rooster is adorable. I think it sewn on a squares, for maybe the middle of an afghan would be awesome. How large is it?

I too love the quiet times, find knitting and or crocheting so relaxing, and even while watching tv, we're being productive...that always makes me feel good. I'll raise my wine glass to you tonight as I stitch....perhaps you'll be doing the same. As close as we can get to sitting beside each other with craft in hand.

Ruby's said...

Busy you :)
I love how that wool eater afghan and the rooster came out. They are beautiful.
Regards,
Ruby

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Evening Sweetie...
Oh what a wonderful share. First of all, I absolutely LOVE your new afghan. How gorgeous it is. Love the bright colors and the size is wonderful. It looks so pretty on your couch. LOVE, LOVE it.

Love that little rooster and those spoons are so delightful. Perfect for the decor.

Oh sweetie and I love your collage of things that you love. That is so nice. I think I would like to have each of my grands make one of those.

Such beautiful shares today sweet friend. Have a glorious week. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

The Altered Paper-Creations by Tee said...

You are one creative lady! And What A Great Post! Hugs,Tee

DaCraftyLady Debb said...

wow you sure have been busy and working in lots of green. :)You do so much in one post. :)I made one of those cutie roosters too...aren't they lots of fun. Now to make the hanging ones that she made with hers..I love that idea..Have you seen them? Great post Tina...Debb

Audrey Pettit said...

Your posts are so wonderful, Tina! I feel like I'm right there with you, and I adore your sweet stories. Your wool-eater afghan is so, so fabulous. What a beautiful and meaningful project this has been, and I know you will treasure that blanket forever. Love your art journal pages. Such a pretty angel and an adorable snowman. And so love that you like to bake, too. I've been trying out some new muffin recipes lately myself. Need to give yours a try. :)