Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Just Another W.E. Wednesday

Twelve, midnight already, 
I was just in the middle of a round,
I really should go head to bed,
but just can't put my blankie down...
(Sing to the tune of:  Just Another Manic Monday)
It's just another Wool Eater Wednesday,
It sure is a fun day,
but even on a work day,
I still find time to cro-chet!...

Now were you singing with me?  I hope so!...  I really loved the music of The Bangles, back when I listened to it on a cassette!  Oh, but as I work on my afghan now...


I find it so sad though that TWO wonderful musical talents have passed away, just in the short time I've been working on it.  First, if you remember, Etta James; and now Whitney Houston.  Only 48 years old; going before her mother, and leaving behind a young daughter of only 18...   My heart goes out to them both.  My favorite songs, sung by Whitney, are I Will Always Love You; and the most beautiful version, I think, of the Christmas song, Do You Hear What I Hear.

Well, so far I've now completed a full 18 rounds on my wool eater afghan, keeping in mind that each round is a color made by crocheting 2 rounds of crocheted stitches.  Remember?   In my last W.E. Wednesday post, I left off feeling "peachy", did I not?!...  Since then, my next three rounds HAD to be made in honor of the New York Giants winning the Superbowl!  Yes!  Woo Hoo!!!  Hence, the colors blue, red, and white!...  Oh, but when I heard Whitney had passed away, the only color I felt, in the sudden sadness and mourning for the loss of such a talent in the music world, was black.  She had her share of troubled times, it seems, so may she rest in peace now.  

Now, as I was making these latest specific rounds of colors, I found that my fingers were sometimes getting sore, or my thumb was actually feeling sore rubbing on the metal hook I was using.  So I finally purchased my first Soft Touch Crochet Hook!


While it didn't have a softer, cushion-y grip that I somehow imagined it might have, I did find my newest little tool helped very much!  However, I can only use it on the second round of each color, because my hook needs to hold up to nine loops at a time on that round, and the new hook just wasn't working for that...  So, now, working back and forth from my metal hook to my soft-touch hook, at least my fingers are getting a break every other round.


Bouncing back from a remorseful round of black, I now begin my next rounds of PINK!..  for Valentine's Day of course! I hope everybody had a wonderful holiday, whatever you did, and however you celebrated!

...And thanks again for stopping by!

20 comments:

Beverooni said...

I love the Wooleater pattern. I've never made it but will one of these days. The colors you have chosen are all so beautiful together.

I know what you mean about losing the great performers. It's very sad.

Heather - The Good Life said...

Looks like you are making great progress on your blanket. It is very sad that Whitney's life has been cut short. I too remember the song you mention and her cute videos from the 80's. Hope you are having a blessed day. Heather

Ruby's said...

Your afghan is prettiest one I have ever seen. I have been listening to Whitney all week now. I love her voice.
Warmest regards,
Ruby

Doris Sturm said...

Oh, what a beautiful pattern...can I have it? I love the way you can use any color yarn and how cheerful it looks... I LOVE it!

Thanks for visiting me and leaving so many sweet comments. I'm slowly getting back into blogging, even though I cry every day for my boy when I shouldn't because he's not hurting anymore...he's sleeping and I have to believe that one day we will be together again somehow in another shape or dimension because I can't believe that souls just dissipate in thin air and I believe that animals do have souls unlike common disbelief!

I belief that Gizzy would go on without me if I were the first one to leave and that he would make the best of it even though he would miss me. He was such a good inspiration and example of taking in as much joy every day as you can...why can't I get past it?

Wishing you all the best for a wonderful week and thank you for being my friend, Tina. How's UBU doing? Is he feeling well? I hope so, give him a belly rub for me, please!

Kind Regards,
Doris, Weezie, Romeow and Gizzy up in Heaven!

Doris Sturm said...

p.s. I found the pattern on your previous post, thanks, Tina! I'm going to start one too and try to get back into crocheting again, but I'm not going to do the crochet along, just at my own pace...I really love that pattern!

Have a great week!

Kristina said...

Beautiful afghan

Debi Y. said...

I'm lovin' your wool eater blanket - it looks very pretty. :)

Leann said...

Hey Tina

This afghan is going to hold such memories every time you look at it.

But midnight? Girl you've got to be the energizer bunny!

Leann

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I was so sad about Whitney and Etta too!! So sad....

Your afghan is GORGEOUS! I love love love the colors!!

The Altered Paper-Creations by Tee said...

Wow! Pretty! Hugs,Tee

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Hey Tina!! Wow, that afghan has gotten big. beautiful! One of my favorite Christmas movies is the Preacher's Wife with Whitney!! so sad.

Terri Morse said...

Your afghan is such a cool pattern! I enjoyed seeing the Giants beat the Patriots too. That was the best game I've seen in a long time. I've long been an Eagles fan, but they had a disappointing season to say the least :) Hugs, Terri

Chatty Crone said...

you have a lot of talent there girlfriend. sandie

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, just look at you go, Tina! Looks like you've made a lot of progress on your blankie! I do love how you are choosing the colors to be meaningful to you. Thanks for sharing!

Faith said...

Hi Lucy.....beeeeeutiful works going on here...colorful....no, my boys are not off all week, they had Monday off..and today off they went. Vest is going..have a wee bit of problem with the pattern, not having made one before, I thought it was all one piece..and not sure how it is supposed to look.. much frogging going on...LOL....take care girl....

hugs, Ethyl

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Hi Beansie! I love your afghan! It is so beautiful! I wanted to answer the questions you had about my 6 week bran muffin recipe. I have never frozen the mix itself, but I think you could easily freeze the muffins after they are baked! I have never added raisins, but I think you could easily add 1-2 cups..but I am not sure how long they would keep in the batter. I would make the mix with the raisins and then bake the muffins within a day or two and freeze them. That's my suggestion anyway! I hope your week is going great! Angie xo

DaCraftyLady Debb said...

Love your afghan and the color choosing. :) great post..singing with you.. :) I am working hard on another project, or should I say projects...lol... I just started on Attic24's "Blooming Flower pillow," it is so bright and pretty...I can't wait to finish it. have a great evening, Debb

Mary said...

Neat-o! a cushy crochet hook. I will buy one one of these days. We almost need an afghan hook when we do the 8 dtr's. You have really gotten a lot done on your blankie - it looks so nice. And I liked your reference to "Just Another Manic Monday" ;)

Doni said...

Your afghan is just beautiful!!! I will have to add pattern that to my ever-growing list of projects I want to make. :)

Nancy M. said...

It's gorgeous! You did have me singing that along to the Manic Monday tune, lol!