Monday, October 24, 2011

Meet My Cousin It!

Here's a little somethin' I put together 
for a swap I was in at Blissful ATC Swap.  

October's theme was Halloween monsters.  

I had a little difficulty deciding what monster I wanted to go with, at first, but then I thought out of the box, just a little, realizing my monster doesn't have to be scary, right? 

My swap partner, Victoria, has received her card, so now I'd like to post this in conjunction with a new Wednesday event...


I'm afraid the technique I resorted to felt a little unethical...   totally out of character for me...  I mean, to do something like this to a doll...


You all know how much I love my dolls!  Honest!..  I felt really bad about it, but I needed her hair for my ATC card!


I decided I wanted to make Cousin It for my movie monster.  Surely everyone knows him from the t.v. showmovies, even cartoon, all based on The Addams Family!

Here you see the back of my card, where you find Margaret Alford, played by Dana Ivey, dancing with Cousin It, at a celebration held in honor of Uncle Fester. 


The hand has my "handmade" information on the back, but I thought it was especially fitting for this card also because of the character "Thing" in the movie!  It's made using a Crafter's Workshop "Henna Hands" 6x6 template, designed by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer.

So, yeah!....  I'm very happy with how my ATC card turned out.  It was really fun to put together! 

Oh, but my poor doll, right?  It wasn't much fun for her, was it?  Well, don't you worry about her.  I did my best to make amends, and she seems to have forgiven me...


I made her a new funky-punky little Halloween outfit, and I think she looks better now, than when I pulled her out the dollar-store cellophane bag in the first place!


I crocheted her newsboy-styled hat (brim flipped up in 1st photo, and brim positioned back down in second photo)...   AND I crocheted her skirt.  Her top is made of black grosgrain ribbon.  Her shoes were originally royal blue, but I "sharpie-d" them black.  I used black and orange permanent ink pens to make her striped arm warmers, then I just "goth-ed" up her face a bit! (No piercings.. I just couldn't do it to her!)

So-oooo...  What else have I been up to?  
Well, I've been very busy with home-schooling, but Dear Son and I like to take the dog for walks, while we can, while the weather is still kind enough to allow such a privilege.  One night we came across this sweet little find, sitting roadside, abandoned, just tossed atop of a garbage can... (Gasp!)


Apparently the house was for sale, and not opting to hold a garage sale, the family was just cleaning up and throwing out!..  Well, I grabbed it, and heavy as it was, I walked it ALL THE WAY HOME!
  

Dear Son helped carry the painting, titled "Before The Mirror", for me.  Later I, of course, had to rearrange my entire bedroom to FIT my new-found treasures, but I love them both!
  

Inside my new Crosley record player was an album, The Best of The Ink Spots, already in place and ready to play!


Oh, and with it also came two collections of Glen Miller.  Yes, our arms were full on the walk home, and yes, Glen's a little before my time, but I have many moods and tastes for music, and I can appreciate Glen Miller, just as much as any of the current stuff there is!  I love ALL kinds of music!...   Just look at these jackets on the two collections!
  

  Like hardcover books!  You don't see them like this anymore!

Anyways, THAT turned out to be a fun "walk"!!...  One other fun thing we did recently was to go apple picking!  The weather was perfect, like Indian Summer!..   A few days later, Dear Daughter asked me to show her how to make Apple Crisp...


...so we had fun whipping up a couple batches together!  (Actually, these are gone already, and I'm hoping to make MORE!)

Special thanks to Wendy, at Blissful ATC Swap, and to Jenn, at Wicked Wednesday ATC Challenge Blog, and to Vanessa, at A Fanciful Twist


for hosting her 2011 Halloween Party (for which I am a little late showing up for, and I hope she'll forgive me)...   Thanks to all for hosting these fun events!  I hope you'll check them all out!..   And then, big thanks and hugs to all my visitors for stopping by to see me!!  Have a great day!



25 comments:

Faith said...

Hi Lucy, up to much as usual...I figuared havn't heard a peep from you in a while...Your special finds...what a treasure..good thing you had your son with you to help carry....don't think I would have passed those up myself. What a bargain...cousin it...so cute.....happy hallowween.....

Faith said...

ps....should have signed out Ethyl...I'm slippin girl...

Sandy said...

Beansie, I love Cousin It... so cute! And I think the doll looks much better after your transformation!!

Why can't I find neat treasures like that when I go for a walk??? :)

Parsley said...

Cute card you made! Very creative.

I can't believe the treasure you found tossed out!!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

OH MY GOOOODNESSS!!! I think I fainted at your finds, amazing really! Who on earth would throw that out???? Crazy people = yay for yoU!!!

Love your doled out gal in her Halloween attire, what fun!! ;)

Yumm treats!!!

♥ Vanessa {A Fanciful Twist}

artbywendy said...

your "Cousin It" was great! that was thinking outside the box :)I love to look and see what everyone comes up with for the ATC's!

Jenn Borjeson said...

LOL I LOVE IT!!!!! What a wonderful idea, and I think the doll looks even better now! Thanks so much for joining us at Wicked Wednesdays! :)

I Don't Do Straignt said...

Hi Lucy, Thanks for your lovely comment on my ATC, it is only the 2nd one I have made. I came over to your blog to take a look at yours and.....WOW this is something else! FAB! I Also love that picture you found, I have one in a similar style called the "sound of Music", they would look great together LOL

Good luck in all your challenges :)

Caroline said...

Love all your finds and baking with your DD, sounds like so much fun as well as looks delicious. Good to hear from you on your blog again!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweetie...
OH you did a fabulous job with Cousin IT. I had forgotten about that one from the Adams Family. I just know your swap partner was so thrilled when she received it. The perfect choice for Halloween. You even made your doll feel like a new QUEEN with her new look. I love her little hat. She is so fashionable now.

Love your finds. What a deal on the record player and records besides. Oh my I would have been dragging home as well. I love the painting. So pretty sweet friend. A perfect addition. You know it is true what they say about One Mans Trash being Another Man's Treasures. I stop and look as well. A delightful walk that evening was. Full of surprises.

Your apple crisp look yummy. Made me hungry for some as well. Nothing like a beautiful crisp day to pick apples, and another to make apple crisp.

Thanks for sharing sweetie. So happy to stop by and see your gorgeous share today. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

craftattack said...

your poor dolly! Glad you had such a successful walk, and I could do with a portion of your apple crisp just now! Hugs, Valerie

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

I love your cousin It ! The doll redo looks so cool ! And what fabulous finds! Now, I am hungry for apple crisp or maybe some apple pie ,I love apples!
Happy Fall!

Gez said...

What an exciting post! I was hanging on your every word! Poor Dolly! so glad you knitted her a hat..doesn't she look so smart now and nobody will ever know apart from us and we won't tell!
Great finds! They were meant to be..glad you managed to make room for your new treasures. Enjoy!

You have a lovely, lovely blog! Thanks for stopping by mine.. I think your Atc for the new Wicked Wednesday challenge is absolutely WICKED!

Happy crafting, Gez.xx

Tracy said...

Love your card, its so neat.
LOL at your doll, I really love the goth look on her. Plus how could she not be happy with her new look :)
Great finds. So neat.
And your apple crisp looks so delish :)

Jennifer said...

Lovely Halloween party! I couldn't help but be distracted by the pumpkin pie Yankee candle! I love that one!

Happy Halloween!

Jehanne's doodles said...

Oh how creative! Love your IT and what you did with the doll afterwards. It is so cute:)

Wendy said...

I absolutely adore the card. I love Cousin It and that was just sooooo funny and cute. Thanks for sharing. The Apple Crisps look yummy. I can smell them from here. Delicious....
Please come by and visit for A Mad Halloween Tea party and A Cup or two of Tea...We Would love to have you
Spells and Wishes
Wendy from Wonderland
http://candydelane.typepad.com/curiosities

Mad Madam Mel said...

oooh I love your painting, glad you could save it :)
Sorry it is taking me so long to get round all the parties,
why not hop over for a spooky tale at my place :
http://madame-mels.blogspot.com/2011/10/tale-of-curiosity.html
the more the merrier :)

Dr. Mary said...

How funny! I love cousin It:) What a creative use of materials and love the doll's transformation.

Audrey Pettit said...

Ok, I am cracking up over here about your poor doll and your Cousin It ATC!! Sooooo funny and both so adorable. I KNOW that your poor dollar store dolly looks much better now than it did when you first brought her home. And Cousin It is hilarious! Love the hand and the photo card, too.
Sounds like you've been having fun lately. What awesome finds you found out on your walk. Amazing what people will throw in the trash, isn't it? :)

Leann said...

Hi Tina

Cousin it is perfect love it!!!! And the doll looks great with her new mod outfit - she's a "happening gal!"

I love the you trash pick too - it's one of my hobbies - but I usually use my care:)My neighbor put a sweet old white wooden chair out this week but I missed it - someone else snagged it before the garbage man came.

Enjoy your baking!
Leann

Susie Jefferson said...

I can't believe how lucky you were re the record player etc. That Ink Spots LP would probably fetch a fortune on eBay - it's very rare I think. You should have gone back with a wheelbarrow! Love the portrait too - what a fabulous example of being in the right place at the right time.

Sara said...

Cousin It! I love it... Thanks you for the bloggy birthday wishes at T.H. last week. It was so nice to hear from so many of you. Happy Sunday Tina. :)

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

Hi Tina...my goodness but time flies when your havin' fun bloggin' and livin' life. I've been doing lots of both without much time for visiting, so I'm just droppin' in to say Howdy, and invite you to stop by CollectInTexas Gal.

As times change for all of us, our Blogs seem to reflect those changes in our interests, and CITexas Gal has changed a bit with the addition of Tracks of My Texas Ancestors. Yep, I've been bitten by the Genealogy Bloggin' Bug.

I'd love to share the Blogging Genealogy Community with you. I hope you will have a minute to stop by and see/read the 'May I Introduce You To' interview Feature on CollectInTexas Gal/Tracks of My Texas Ancestors by GeneaBlogger.

Sue...CollectInTexas Gal
http://collectintexasgal.blogspot.com/

milkcan said...

Super duper cute! A fantastic idea!