Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Come to the Cabernet

During the weekdays, time is such a crunch, jam-packed with so many things to do; but for this evening, I'm going to try to catch up and share some of the highlights of the past week.
 
First, we did our weekly grocery shopping...  Nothing so exciting about that, I know, but I was happy to find these two movies in the bargain bin while we were there! 


Unfortunately, I have not YET had the chance to watch them, but soon, I hope!  We were much too busy this weekend!  The kids and I went to a fair on Saturday.  The weather was gorgeous..  We ran into family and friends while we were there, and I came home with all kinds of goodies from the tables there, full of used and antique items up for sale!


Same deal on Sunday..  I put down my crocheting, my scrapbooking, and broom, "Old Chum", and off we went to a big Wine Testing Festival!  I don't suppose I need to say how much fun that was!  While we were there, there were free apples, a car show, a quilt show, a haunted house, a craft fair, live entertainment, etc., etc., etc.!  Here is a picture of a Mama Chicken and her babies we met as we toured the grounds!..  Of course, I HAD to take a picture of them!!
   

Oh, and who could this be here, peeking through that apple?
Can you see?...   Look close!


There were several areas set up specifically for taking photos, so I figured my hair and makeup were done..  Why not?!

Beyond all the sites and exhibits, we finally made our way to the wine tasting fest!  Special tickets and wristbands were being distributed at the entrance, and the line was long!  But the wait wasn't so bad as it looked.  (I've suffered way worse lines just waiting to pay for my groceries at Walmart!)..  Anyways, I've never been to anything like this before, so I was excited!
 

There were tables, and displays, inside and outside, with bartenders pouring up the goods at every one!  We made the rounds, table to table, tasting all kinds of wines and cheeses!  What an awesome time we had!  The weather was nice, the people were friendly.  By the end of it all, I finally chose a little somethin' to take home with me!  It called to me..  Come to the Cabernet..  Buy me.  Take me home!
 

(Hence the title of this post!..  Cute, huh?!)

So now, let me see...  focusing back home again....   Since I last posted, it was nice to find the mailman had brought me some more happy mail!  In one package I received the New Moon tags, from the Twilight tag swap group I'm in, at Mini Album Scraps!


The one on the bottom left is the one I made, with an excerpt from the book on the back; but oh my gosh, just look at the ones that other participating "Twi-hards" sent me!  Photos could never do these tags justice.  They are absolutely beautiful!...  This swap is so much FUN!!  Next up, we'll be working on our Eclipse tags!

Now this next package I got was from a potholder swap I was in, hosted by Faith, at Crochet By The Sea.  I forgot to take a photo of the potholder I sent, but I'm making another, so I'll show that sometime soon, hopefully.  Here's the one I received from Mary, at Here's Home.


I LOVE this little crocheted dress potholder!  Done in crochet thread, it's absolutely darling, and Mary did a beautiful job making this!  Thank you Mary!  ((Big Hugs!))

Well, as I wind this rather lengthy post up, and I hope you're still with me here...  This week's tag challenge at Blog Challenge Garden, was "Recycle The Trash"!  With all the fun we had this weekend, I made my tag in remembrance of the Wine Fest!


The tag itself is cut out from a cereal box.  Part of the paper is from a wine/price list handed out by one of the vendors at the fest.  The other part of the background paper is from the dyed paper towels I've mentioned in a previous post.  The hole reinforcement and bottom border are made from corrugated cardboard, from a coffee-on-the-go.  I added an old wine bottle cork by first taking a thin slice for the center of my dryer-sheet flower, then I cut the rest of the cork in half and glued it onto the tag.  I added a piece of that plastic non-slip netting they include with your wine bottle, when you purchase it. I used old pages from a book for the leaves on the flower.  And finally, the wine glass, the grapes/wine inside the glass, and the little "blingies" along the top and left sides, are all cut out from an empty, washed-and-dried grape Kool-Aid Jammers drink pouch!  Oh, and that tie at the top?..  That's a tie, recycled from an old bathing suit, that for some reason..  ahem..  seems to have shrunk in the wash this year...  NOT too happy about that, but life is too short to sweat the small stuff, right?!   Like the song says...

"Start by admitting
from cradle to tomb
isn't that long a stay.
Life is a Cabaret old chum,
only a Cabaret old chum,
and I love a Cabaret!" 

Thanks so much to Rebecca for hosting the tag challenge every week at Blog Challenge Garden!


And another big thanks to all for stopping by today!

15 comments:

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Hi Beansie!! So funny, I was thinking about you today and thought I needed to check in and lo and behold you were on the top of my fav blogs list as having just posted. So I'm taking it as a sign to say hello. Sounds like a wonderful weekend was had. I absolutely love old movies too; especially Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant,Marilyn Monroe. Hope all is well.

myletterstoemily said...

i think wine tasting dinners are so much
fun, especially when they pair the wines
with the perfect foods. i'm glad you found
the one you love.

Faye said...

Wow, Beansie, your tag is wonderful. It sounds like your wine tasting was lots of fun and you brought home some great recyclable items.

craftattack said...

You seem to have had a good if busy time over the past few days. Glad you enjoyed the wine tasting! Your recycling tg is great - cheers! Valerie

T.O. Geezer aka ~Ron said...

Wow! You are one busy person! You and my wife would get along fine. She's on the go constantly too.

Take care and have a nice day :-)

~Ron

Kristina said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I love the tag from trash.

Lululiz said...

Oh how fun, the wine festival remembrance tag made with recycled trash turned out great!

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Love your new blog design!!

Mary said...

I love your tag. Never thought about trying to glue a cork to a tag, even cut in half. The whole tag would look good hung around gift bottle of wine. Very Artsy.
Mary

Jeannette said...

Hi beansie:-)I LOve your tag so much,the wine class and the dinner letter is very wonderfull,and i have lust drinking a class of red wine,your new blog style is very beautifull,and the music makes me happy.

Jeannette
#

Tracy said...

Wow you have been busy.
Nice finds.
Lovely Twilight tags ;)
That crochet dress pot holder is so adorable.
and I Love your wine tag, I really like the dimension to it.

Audrey Pettit said...

So much fun stuff going on here, Tina! Sounds like you had a very fun and busy weekend filled with lots of activities and excitement. Love all your swap goodies, and you tag is just fabulous. Absolutely loved reading about all the "trash" you recycled on it. Just brilliant. :)

Linda M. said...

Hi Beansie, I love your trash tag! I mean your up cycled tag. Your post is great so many interesting things going on. I'm a new follower. Linda

PetraB said...

You had quite a weekend! Love your tag, it is fabulous.

BelleSouth said...

Well done, Tina and on Tuesday!! Whoo hoo!

Rebecca