Saturday, June 25, 2011

Are Ya Wearin' Blue?

Well, I am!  Celebrations are taking place 'round the world in great anticipation of the movie, The Smurfs, in 3D!  June 25th, 2011 has officially been declared Global Smurf Day!  And as soon as I heard about it....  Well, you might have guessed, I was ready to join right in! 


The movie opens in theaters, nationwide, on July 29th, and it does bring back memories of how we kids would sit around the t.v., watching Papa, Brainy, Handy, Painter, Smurfette, Baby Smurf, and all the others!...  Said to be no taller than "3 apples high", I've heard there are actually over 100 of these little blue characters in existence!  I remember their smurfy language, and their little mushroom houses...  even the theme song!  Remember?  "la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la!"  (It wasn't hard to remember those lyrics!)


Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the trip to the Big Apple for the weekend, where people are dressing like smurfs to break a world record! Sounds like fun, but true blue fans who are left behind, can still be found celebrating through Facebook or Twitter.   As for me, I will do so from my own little place in Blogland.

Join me for a piece of cake?!
 

Now, I had heard about this new Smurf movie in the making, quite some time ago.  I can't even remember exactly when that was, but I know it wasn't long thereafter, that I felt inspired to turn a blue skein of yarn into a brand new doll..   A smurf, to be precise!  Knowing nothing of how long it takes to make a full length movie, I kept waiting for some word on when this one would premier, so that THEN I could introduce her to my Blogland friends....  But to my surprise, it took a little longer than I expected! 

So what do you think?..  Do you like her?! 


Standing slightly taller than 3 apples high, my doll is actually about 18" tall, and I've named her Daisy Smurf!  The basic body pattern I followed is one I've mentioned favoring before.  I just love this particular pattern, having made various dolls from it for years now!   You can find the pattern, for the original doll, "Sprite", right HERE.

Well, I sure had a smurfy-good time
visiting with you all today!  
Thanks so much for stopping by!

   

21 comments:

craftattack said...

Well, I have heard of the smurfs, but I must hang my head in shame and admit to never, ever having seen a single smurf on TV!!! Happy Blue Saturday all the same, and enjoy the smurf cake! Valerie

Linda in New Mexico said...

Darling girl.....I remember watching the smurfs with my daughter all the time. It was such fun. We still have a bunch of the old smurfs toys somewhere in this hoarders dream we call Casa de Cuckoo. Good for you for the gorgeous blue cake....yummy. Oma Linda

Dogmom Diva said...

Hey Beansie! Love Daisy! So pretty and my boys loved the smurfs when they were little!

thanks so much for stopping by with your sweet comments about my Grace Lily..I can't wait to see and hold her again!

Have a great weekend!
Barb

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

Hello, sweet Beansie Babbles!!

Thanks for your sweet comment!! Email me when you can, I want to tell you something.
I love the Smurfs!! My boys played with smurfs when they were young!!And we watched the cartoon together. Good times!!
Love ya,
Deb

Doris Sturm said...

Oh, I loved the Smurfs cartoons. I wish I had all the DVDs - that transports me back in time when my daughter was young and I was young-er LOL

I never knew anything about an upcoming 3D smurf movie, but I'm glad I read your post. I will look for it and go see it, if I can, but I'll probably have to wait for it to come out on Netflix, but its something to look forward to.

I love your little Smurfette - and I loved Papa Smurf too and the cat -what great cartoons they were.

Have a lovely weekend and give Ubu a scratch behind the ears for me.

We love you,
Doris and Gizzy

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

I want to see the new Smurfs movie,too ! I will have a piece of cake & I love your smurf doll!
Love & Blessings,
~Myrna

Chatty Crone said...

I remember them - I used to have almost all of those blue guys - wish I still had them. $$$

Tracy said...

LOVE your post today.
Now I want your cake, it looks smurific.
Your doll is adorable.

TK said...

now where oh where oh where have I been...I had NO IDEA they had made another Smurf movie!!??!!?! Whats with that!!! Love your blue icing-ed cake in the honour of just such an occasion as this!! TK xx

DaPetLady said...

OMG that smurf doll is adorable. :) I didn't know that they have actually made a "Smurff Day" Wow I spent the 25th in Red and Purple as it was the World Wide Red Hats Day...but I will have a piece of that scrumptious blue bundt cake... :) Debb

lovestitch said...

How I love your smurf doll! She's really cute, I love her so! I'm quite hungry now so I love to join you for a piece of cake, looks so yummy! :)
Thanks for your visit and lovely comments, I wish you a very happy day!!! xo

Sandy said...

LOL, thanks for the trip down memory lane. My DD loved the smurfs. Your doll is adorable, what a good job you did.
Thanks for the visit, DD and I did indeed enjoy our time.

Leann said...

Funny I remember the smurfs but I think they were a little after me. You must be younger than me:) Although your character reminds me of someone who was on Popeye:)

Enjoy your holiday weekend!
Leann

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

I LOVE Daisy Smurf!! What a great job. And, this is all new to me, I didn't even KNOW they had even thought of a Smurf movie.

Quandom Popularity is my Friday's Post Link.

Have a great holiday weekend!!

Plush Possum Studio said...

have fun smurfing around this weekend1
;)

Just a Few Designs said...

Girl you posts are always such a hoot! Love reading them. I hope your doing well and enjoy your 4th of July!!
hugs and kisses
Elsa

Doris Sturm said...

Just wanted to stop by to wish you and yours a very happy 4th of July. Kisses to UBU.

Love,
Doris and Gizzy

Audrey Pettit said...

Awww, what a fun post! You are quite the Smurf fan! Your Daisy Smurf doll is fabulous! I'm sure I'll be attending this movie with my daughter :), although the big release we've been waiting for at our house is the new Winnie the Pooh.

Louise said...

Love your Daisy Smurf. I remember smurfs from when I was young (a long time ago). we used to be able to buy them only at the BP Petrol stations! I remember my sister having loads of them, now you can buy them at Target and their little houses too.

Doris Sturm said...

I just came from Crochet by the Sea and saw your comment about still not having A/C? You poor baby, how can you stand it? How is UBU holding out? You must go through a lot of ice.

Looking at your cake again makes me want something sweet...I think I'm going to bake that Pear Streusel Pie because I have so many pears that I've been picking ... and juicing!

Hang in there and thanks again for explaining to me the purpose and use of Tags. Did you get my e-mail reply?

Love,
Me and the boy!

Doris Sturm said...

Tina's busy! The next post is going to be a long one ;-) I just wanted to say hello and tell you I thought about you the other day when my apartment manager, Missy, told me she has all the stuff for making a scrap book for her late mother, but needed some help. I told her I knew a lady who does excellent work, only I'm not that familiar with it, but I would help her when she wants to get started....so I may contact you from time to time with some questions since I've never done that before :-)

Have a wonderful Sunday, Tina, and all the best to UBU from me and the boy ;-)

Doris and Gizzy (woof-woof)