Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Blue and Green

The theme this week at Blog Challenge Garden is to make any tag we want, so long as the colors are "blue and green".  So I decided I wanted to make something with a blue background, and then add a green frog or two.  Of course, though, who other than Kermit would be my favorite frog?!...   So, with this in mind, I began my project for a blue and green tag.  Here's what I came up with...


It's funny that while I was purposely trying to use several stamps in my last tag, I did not use a single stamp on this one!...   It may not be easy being green, but "blue and green" was just plain ol' fun for me to play around with this time around!  I did, at least, get to try my hand at a couple of new embellishments!

I began my project by recycling the side of a Puffs tissue box, for the background of my tag.  The colors, and even the design of the box, were perfect!


Next, I added a picture of "Kermie", singing with his banjo; and then I added a few words from his song "Rainbow Connection".  I then took a big round leaf from some silk flowers I had, stickled it up a bit, and added that to look like a lily pad...  Now, for the flowers.....


The two smaller flowers are silk flowers, but the larger one on the right is my paper flower!  This is my first attempt at making them.  I don't yet have a die-cutting machine of any kind, so everything is cut by hand.  I use ready-made frosting containers to store the flowers I cut up ahead of time, ready to reach for whenever I may want to.  One container holds one kind of flower..


...while the second container holds another kind of flower, with a more squared-type petal, which I referred to as...  for lack of knowing what else to call them...


And then there is this third container, which holds a flower some of you may not have heard of before.  The original creator of these flowers may call them "green", as you will see on her video...


but I call them my "Fiona Flowers".

If you like to craft, then Fiona is the woman to see!  You can find her YouTube channel HERE, where I first decided to try making any kind of paper flowers at all!...   Now there are different materials you may choose to use to make these flowers from; but mine are made simply from plain printer paper, some of my glimmer sprays, both purchased and homemade, a couple of buttons for the centers, and a little hot glue.  Then because I used a printer paper, rather than a thicker-type cardstock, I used a triple-thick clear glaze spray to toughen them up just a bit.


I also had fun making the other four rose-type paper flowers, with the help of this video, HERE.  I really had fun making these, and will definitely be making more!  They are not only nice for tags and scrapbooking, but for gift toppers too!

Well, moving on...   After making the flowers, I tried my hand at making another embellishment that I learned from Fiona...


(Hmmm..  I think I'll be making more of those too!)

All in all, I think Kermie likes my tag!...
And I'm happy with it, so what do you think?


A special thanks to Rebecca, for hosting Tag Tuesday...
and thanks to all for stopping by!


(Well, you just KNOW that Miss Piggy would NEVER let this day go by without taking SOME kind of part in it, right?!!) 
Have a great day!

16 comments:

Linda in New Mexico said...

I love your tag and your presentation. Lovely green and blue....fabulous Kermit and flowers. I really like what you did to upcycle the box and how you embellished it all.
Very kewl.
The Olde Bagg

Linda M. said...

Hi Tina, Very clever and creative. I recently have an interest in flower making too. Both with paper and fabric. I'll have to check out the video you mentioned. Your tag is very cute the flowers and the dragonfly are beautiful. Warmly, Linda

Faith said...

Lucy,Lucy,Lucy,
You do fabulous work girl, and your always into something..so pretty..you should open up a shop or something...no? stop down to visit when you get a spare..I'll keep the coffee coming..

Hugs,Ethyl

The Altered Paper said...

Your Tag Turned out Fantastic! I Love Kermit!
And the lily Pad is Awesome!
Hugs,Tee

Evelyn S. said...

What a cute tag! Your page was taking its sweet time loading, so I could see only the lacy top at first. Kermit was a total surprise! Actually, this is the second time I've visited this post...but the first time, I got distracted temporarily by the flowers and I had to check out the video! ;-)

Diann said...

Love your Kermit tag and the many ways you recycle...you go girl! Diann

Marilyn Girling said...

Oh, Kermy never had it so good! Great tag and wonderful explanation as to how you made it. Made me smile♥

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh that is so pretty and you did a great job. Love Kermit the frog! sandie

Faye said...

Tina, I was all set to say that I really enjoyed seeing Kermit in such elegant surroundings when I noticed that you had actually MADE the larger flower. Furthermore, you gave the instructions. I think I learned more from your blog today than from all the others combined that I have seen today. Thanks for explaining. BTW, I don't have a die cutting machine either. My dh got me some large punches for Christmas, which I am enjoying.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Tina Sweetie...
Oh my gosh do I ever love Kermit? Oh my our kids grew up on him and the Rainbow Connection. Tony and I still sing that song now and again. It brings back such beautiful memories for me. We still have the record album.

You did an excellent job. I love your flowers. I will be checking out the tutorials. They are so pretty and I can think of so many uses for them. Thank you for sharing sweet friend.

I hope you are well. I think of you often. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Plush Possum Studio said...

LOL! This isso cute and lush all at once, Piggy and I go way back, y'know. Quite a dame, and a good image for the gals who were given no chance to come out of their cocoons as girls.
Great fun here today!
Rose

BelleSouth said...

This is grand!!

Rebecca

Nancy M. said...

Oh, that is so cute! I wish I was creative like that!

peggy gatto said...

Just priceless!!!
Fun!

Hellemor said...

That a fun and very lovely tag. Love the frogh.

crochetwithtamara said...

Tina,

I love, love, blue and green together and I love how you used a kleenex box to make your tag. Thanks for sharing all that you do with all of us.

Love and Hugs,
Tamara