Saturday, May 21, 2011

As One Door Closes..

Make sure you hang a tag on it!!

Recently, I came across an intriguing challenge over at All My Art.  There, I found Jeanie asking if anyone might like to join her in making  some hanging door tags!...   You know like the ones that say, "Do Not Disturb", "My Room", "Wipe Your Feet", or "Gone Fishing".  Well, as her own ideas for door tags first started multiplying, so she officially began her Door Tag Challenge!

Interested?..  If so, Jeanie's also offering to place your name in a prize-drawing for each tag you make!  While not entirely sure what amount of time I'll have to make my own tags, I did at least finish my first one!


"Do not Disturb" was not exactly the message I wished to convey.   My tag, more or less, just expresses that I'm busy at the moment with just one of the many things I love to do artistically...


..which could mean that I'm either drawing, or painting..
or maybe sewing, crocheting, or scrapbooking...


So I made this artist's palette with chipboard and cardstock.  Then I added colorful little blings to look like paints in several colors, along with a little water-color paint brush.  Of course, I couldn't forget to add a crochet hook!  I never liked crocheting with plastic hooks, so it was no great sacrifice to use it towards this project; and besides, I thought the color pink worked nicely with everything else!  Next, I added some sewing supplies.


These little spools of thread can be found in small kits, for very little cost, at your local pharmacy, grocery market, or dollar stores.  I've had these for so long, and never used them, so I just KNEW they were perfect for this project!  I thought the little vintage wrapper from some old sewing machine needles was a nice touch too!  Next, I added the plastic sewing needle, which again I thought the size and color, like a robin's egg blue, was just right to embellish this door tag!  I glued and stickled my flowers, and added ribbon at the top to hang it, and I was done!  I have left the back blank so far, seeing as I've not yet decided if I want to use it for pictures or journaling of some sort;  but I really had fun making this, and have ideas for other door tags now too!  I'm not sure yet, if I'll actually make more or not, but we'll see...

In the meantime, now that packages have been sent and received, I can now post about the Blissful ATC Swap, hosted by Wendy, for the month of May.

The theme, this time around, was "Let's Go to the Movies".   I'm guessing most of my visitors know by now, how much I LOVE the movies, so I was very excited to sign up.  My swap partner for month was Amy, at Ruby Moon Art.  Here is the Moulin Rouge card and goodies she made up for me!


Love the movie, the color, the sparkle!..  Thank you so much, Amy!!  I really love it, and it's such a gorgeous addition to my growing ATC collection!

Now, as I began to make a card for Amy and myself (I always make two!), it wasn't quite so easy deciding on which movie I might focus on in particular; and Amy didn't really express a particular favorite, so "what to do, what to do??".....   Then my thoughts drifted to the recent passing of Elizabeth Taylor, and the wheels of my creative processes began spinning!  I could do a sort of movie tribute!  So, in the spirit of "going to the movies", I put together an ATC in the form of a pocket...


and "featured" my favorite Elizabeth Taylor film,  


Tucked inside the pocket, you can see were two tickets... On the back of one ticket was an Elizabeth Taylor quote, "Big girls love big diamonds."   On the back of the second ticket was my own personal info/message for Amy.  With the tickets, I also added the small folio, on the right, of just some of the top films that Elizabeth Taylor is probably most remembered in. 

Here is what one side of the folio looks like, 
when fully opened...


And here's what the other side of the folio looks like...


I'm happy with how my little tribute came out, but for lack of room, I couldn't even include ALL my favorite Elizabeth Taylor films.  The two I wished I could have included were Little Women, where she played Amy March; and The North and The South, in which she played Madam Conti!

Well, speaking of movies, I picked up an old record album at a rummage sale my church was having...


Isn't it "loverly"?!!  My Fair Lady!..   Yes, I was very excited to find this; and yes, I still have a record player that actually works!  Every once in a while, I love to throw an old album onto the turntable, to hear Judy Garland, or Barbra Streisand, or whoever... just to unwind, maybe while I crochet a few rounds or rows on some project I may be working on at the time...    Anyways, as if that wasn't enough, I then found this...


..in the $5 bin at Walmart!  I've never seen this one before, so I can't wait to watch it!  

Thanks to all for stopping by today, 
and have a great weekend!


17 comments:

Debi Y. said...

I love the door tag Beansie - very creative. Have a good weekend. :)

Beverooni said...

Love the door tag!

Linda M. said...

Your door tag is beautiful. It's just perfect for letting folks know in a polite way you are working, (fun works it is true but it is our work, lol)Have a great week. Linda

Paula said...

What does ATC stand for?

Love all of the tags you make . . . they are so concise with whatyou want to express.

Leann said...

How fun :) Love the tag and the swap. Hope that you join in Karla's swap - they are awesome. Maybe we'll get one of each others:)

Leann

Faith said...

Lucy,
Oh the sunshine was nice, first we'd seen in about 10 days..again today...but they are threatening t'showers....it was nice to get out of Dodge even for a little while. Cute door hangers.....let me know if you pop that movie in..I see Humphry Bogart on the cover too...what a steal, maybe I'll pop up and watch it with you and Litte Ricky? I'll bring the popcorn...
Hugs, Ethyl

glor said...

You just ooze creativity ... the door tag, love it! Always such a delight to visit here and see what you are doing. You certainly give inspiration!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Lovely artwork.... You've done a beautiful job on everything....

Huggies,
Spencer

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh, and PS.... the Paul McCartney song "Someone knocking at my door" was big when my little girl was about four. She LOVED that song... it made me smile.

xox

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Once again, inCREDible work!!!!!

Sorry, I'm so late getting around...I know you visited with me earlier this week at my Camera Critters blog...much appreciated.

Hope your week has treated you well!!!

My Sunday Post...'ribbit'!!

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Tina,

That's a pretty tag. I love all the detail you added. Hope you are having a wonderful sparkly weekend!

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

crochetwithtamara said...

Tina,

I love your door hanging card and the ATC card that you made your swap partner. I just love seeing all the things that you are working on. They make me smile the way you use things that you already have. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
Tamara

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Your door tag is just fabulous! That's just the type of creativity I knew would come from pushing yourself to do something really different. Now I want to make an 'artist' tag. But I don't think it will impress my cats. LOL. I'm in the movie swap too. I really love your card and other goodies! Your trading partner is so very lucky! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your art. Oh, BTW, I am also a big My Fair Lady fan, have been since 1957 when I first heard the original cast recording.

Kerrie said...

I too, love the door tag, how cute is that!!! You did a great job. thanks for your encouraging words. Hugs, K

Doris Sturm said...

Oh my gosh - your talent blows me away - I love that Artist at work tag with the little rhinestones as paint buckets....so imaginative! ... and Liz Taylor is simply a class act...very nice work! You are terrific. Hope UBU's ok - Gizzy's been sleeping under the computer desk all day because it's too dog gone hot!

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Pretty door hanger!

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Such a fun way to say do not disturb! great job.