Saturday, April 30, 2011

Arbor Day

Our theme for the week, at Blog Challenge Garden, has been Arbor Day...   Around my neck of the woods, it is celebrated on the last Friday of the month of April.  However, my mind was a little preoccupied with William and Kate, so-ooooo...


We were asked to put together a tag with a tree as the main focal point.  I'm running a little late on mine, but finally the weekend is here, all the royal wedding festivities have quieted down now, and I was ready to surround myself in papers, inks, stamps, ribbons and laces!

I have seen many a beautiful tag, and ATC card done by those who used multiple stamps, and overlapped them, coming up with the most beautiful masterpieces!  So this week, I decided to go all out...  go wild...  get messy, experiment, create!!...  Muahahahahahaha!!!

BUT...   I still wanted to keep a feel for what Arbor Day means to me, like beauty, shade, homes for the birds, and oh yeah...  OXYGEN!...  I think it's very important that we stop tearing trees down.  I don't think we need one more empty strip mall taking up space that God gave to these trees in the first place!...

But, o.k..  Breathe. Focus.
What can I come up with here?....


Yup, there you have it...  the front of my tag.  And it would definitely appear that I prefer doing things in baby steps, don't you think?!  I really only overlapped two stamps, but if you look closely, I actually overlapped three!  Ha! Ha!


Here's the back of the tag, where I can journal about what I love about the trees, and the favorite trees that I remember throughout my life.  What favorite trees might I have, you might ask?  Well, here's a quick story about one of them....


...I had a favorite pear tree.  It was small, but produced the most beautiful pears.  I lived in an apartment at the time, and this pear tree sat on an empty lot next-door to me.  My kids played in that yard all the time, but I had never met the owner.  The first year I lived there, I watched every beautiful pear on that tree just rot away, as it appeared that nobody cared a thing about it.  What else could I do though?  I didn't want to steal them...


Well, a year's time came and went, and more beautiful pears grew back on this sweet little tree!  This time, I wasn't going to let them go to waste!  I picked them, and made a wonderfully big batch of pear sauce...  even canned some!  It was delicious!  Time came around again the next year, and a neighbor friend of mine came running to me to warn me somebody was stealing my pears!  WHAT?!!..   I ran right out, and there this man was, with his own little step ladder no less!!  The NERVE of this man!...   So I marched right over to him, and with all the Irish temper that was boiling over in me, I hollered...

"Excuse me!  WHAT are you doing?!!"

"Well," (he said rather calmly)...  "I OWN this tree."....   (Gasp!)

"Oh...   Well...    O.K. then...   Just checking."

...And on that note, I slowly backed away, went back into the house, and proceeded to mind my own business from that point on.  Needless to say, I BUY my pears now!

Thanks for stopping by...
Thanks to Rebecca for hosting Tag Tuesdays...
and hope everyone's enjoying their weekend!


19 comments:

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Tina,

I like your tag...I love looking at all the different designs that are created..so many possibilities.

Hope your week is filled with lots of Pink Sparkles!

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's really a beautiful tag, love the lace.

Diane said...

A wonderful tag....and had a laugh at your pear story.....I love trees too and spend half my life running around finding my hubby when I hear a chain saw...we have very diffeent ideas when it comes to trees!! (I always win :>)

Ghost said...

pears looking good.

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Your comment.....the peaceful moment that filled your heart....snow falling gently, it brought tears! Well said Tina.

Faith said...

pretty tag Lucy...funny story about the pear tree...oops!

Ethyl

Faith said...

Hi Again Lucy...the flowerbed still wip....having a wee bit of problem attaching the softer wood attachments to the hard pallet wood...I heve her painted..and just a few more screw attachments...it's giving me a time.. Learning a little bit about construction etc...not ready to build a house yet hee hee....maybe I'll fight with it again today...things don't come easy for me...it's just the way it is...LOL

Linda M. said...

Your Arbor Day tag is wonderful. I like all the over-lapped stamping images and I really like the quote and the trim at the bottom. I love the back, thanks for the journaling lines idea. I enjoyed reading about the pear tree. Thanks for stopping by to comment. Have a great week.

Zoechaos said...

Gorgeous Tag, hope you enjoyed the wedding XOXO Zoe

The Altered Paper said...

I Love your story! Lol. And your tag is awesome! Hugs,Tee

Faye said...

Your tag is so gorgeous. I am such a fan of trees and a softie when it comes to one getting damaged in a storm. Your pears story really was funny.

Audrey Pettit said...

You pear tree story really gave me a chuckle! Too funny. Makes me think of the pear trees growing in our yard when I was a kid. We had a bunch of apple trees, too. I still remember vividly picking them. Now, my kids get to pick the fruit when we go visit. :)
Love your tag! Fabulous stamping, and wonderful quote.

June said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for commenting. It seems we have gone in different crafting-directions these days!? Never tried scrapbooking. Too much other stuff going. Your work, as usual, is beautiful!
Blessings, June

PetraB said...

A great story and a wonderful tag.

BelleSouth said...

Love your tag and the story about the pear tree!!!

Rebecca

DaCraftyLady said...

Like the story on the pear tree and a cute tag... :) Love your work, Debb

Tiffanee said...

Cute tag!! Love the pear tree story. You made me laugh!!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

That was such a funny story, I was not expecting to hear it was his tree, haha. I used to pick the oranges of my neighbors tree when I was a little girl as I passed by his house on my way home from school. I don't think he ever found out, although it was quite obvious as the street side of the tree was always the first to be bare.

Pretty card, I love the colors you used.

Leann said...

Hi Tina

Loved your tag - I'm trying to come out of my comfort zone in stamping scrapping too.

Loved you pear tree story:)

Enjoy your week!
Leann