Thursday, March 17, 2011

When Irish Hands Are Crafting...

...sure 'tis why, this morn, I sing!  So glad you could stop by today! Please, sit down, and help yourself to a wee cup of tea with me, won't you? 


It's been a wee while since my last post, (this could be a long one!)...  but sure and begorrah, I've been busy!...   So here's what I've got to show you today!

Not more than a month ago, I ran across a website that hosts ATC swaps.  What's an ATC?  It's an artistic trading card!  I'd seen some beautiful ones around Blogland before; but this time around, I thought I'd finally try my hand at it!  Signing up at the Blissful ATC Swap blog didn't take long at all; and soon thereafter, I was assigned a swap partner, Susan, at Art of Mine!  Next, I printed my copies of the given image for the month, I got out my scrapping supplies, and I began to make my very first ATC card!

This month's theme was based around the image shown below.


Participants use the given image/theme for the month in whatever design they are then inspired to make.  "Silk", and the Chinese symbols led me to put together this little 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" ATC .


I thought it would be cute to send a little crocheted Kokeshi Doll, along with a few other goodies, to go with it!  Susan has a picture of the rest on her blog, if you'd like to see; and if you'd like the pattern for the doll, you can find that HERE.  Having already mailed Susan's out, here are the copies I made to save for myself!


Meanwhile, here is what Susan sent to me!

Isn't it amazing?!!  

That blue thing on the bottom of the card you see, is actually a REAL, hand-dyed, cultivated silk cocoon!  


In her enclosed note card, she directed me to gently shake it, where I could actually hear the deceased little inhabitant inside!!!...   Well, Dear Son and I both thought that was pretty "COOL"!


Below the card you see a stamped piece of silk.  Susan told me this was a very old vintage piece of silk she snipped and frayed for me.  I love it, and anyone who knows me well enough, knows how much I love our fine-feathered little friends!

I had so much fun for my first ATC swap!  I have to thank Wendy for assigning me a partner who was so friendly and helpful.  Susan was wonderfully helpful to me, when sure enough, I had questions to ask, and she so very graciously took the time to show me the ropes!  Here are some more goodies, as shown below...


that Susan sent, so that I would have some extra fun when participating in future ATC swaps!  That was so sweet of her, I can't tell you how surprised and happy I was to find all this in the package she sent me!  Thank you Susan!!  You have indeed made my first ATC swap a very special one, and I'm so happy to have met you!  To anyone who has not met Susan yet, be sure to visit her at her blog. She is a woman of very many wonderful talents, you will see!

Another very talented friend sent me this ATC card recently...   Debbie, from Simply Debbie!!  She, with Wendy, is one of the co-founders of the Blissfull ATC Swaps!  Debbie was so encouraging and supportive as I pondered even joining in on this event!...    Isn't this card she made beautiful?!! 


Thank you so much Debbie!..  
Or should I say, "Merci beaucoup!"...  I love it!  

So, I have now have a total of 3 ATC cards, and I believe that I can rightfully call this the beginnings of a new "collection"!  My head is already spinning, thinking of where and what best way to display it!  I absolutely treasure these little works of art, and am signed up for next month's swap already!

Well, in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, you'll remember I couldn't resist making ANOTHER mini scrap album for the occasion!  Here it is.  Below is the front cover.


The first page is a simple pocket with a tag.  


Time was a crunch, and most of the tags are printed ones from ready-to-print images, HERE for instance, which I'm sure many of you will probably recognize, having seen or used them yourselves!


The next page you see a pocket frame made from the Graphic 45 "Once Upon a Springtime" paper collection.  I can slide a photo into that, with the cutest little fairy perched as if she is peeking to see who it will be!


This next page is just a simple photo mat, with fancy-punched corners on a greenish textured cardstock...


with a wee Irish laddie strolling by, just for fun!  


The next page, above, shows a band of bling holding a swivel-set of mini photo mats...


And on the shamrock at the right side of the page, you can see where I finally got to try out my new bottle of "Stickles"!  When first finding my interest in scrapbooking, I heard a great deal about this product, and had to try it!  Unfortunately, I used it on paper, instead of a quality cardstock, and it buckled the paper a bit, but that's o.k.  I still like it fine enough!  


Inside the pocket of this page I inserted a printed recipe card, where I can write down my recipe for Irish Soda Bread...   and with that I added a plain white, blank photo tag.  The next page is a simple little band with an irish rose, set on a photo mat.  (Darn that sticky tape..  I love it, but NOT when it SHOWS through!  Lesson learned, I will use another kind of adhesive, next time, when working with lace.)


Miniature photos are adorable, I think; but you don't want them ALL to be the size of a postage stamp, so full page mats are nice!  Here's the tag I inserted into the side pocket of that page, with a place for a larger photo on the back of that...


This is the front of the last page.  


You see the little charm I included?  It is from an old set of claddaugh earrings I had, but couldn't wear anymore because of the terrible allergic reaction I got from them TWICE!  Enough is enough, and I thought to use one here was a nice way to still keep them, instead of simply discarding them! Below is the back cover of my mini album...


...and the tags that filled the side pocket of this page.


My gosh, did I TELL you this post would be long?..  What are we on?..  our seventh wee cup of tea now?!! (I'm definitely wondering if video would be easier!)...   

Finally, I'll show you the Shamrock potholder I made!  I was glad to pick up my crochet hook to make this little Irish kitchen helper...


and I don't know why it took me till now to finally ever make one, but I'm very happy with how it came out! 


You can find Priscilla Hewitt's pattern HERE, if you'd like to try it yourself!

Well, thanks so much for stopping by!  I'm so glad we got to share a wee bit o' the holiday together!  We're wearing our green 'round here today, but we'll be celebrating more with a nice Irish dinner during the weekend, and I'm really looking forward to that! 

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all! 





15 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Tina! sooo good to hear and see from you again! The ATC's are absolutley beautiful and it looks like your good at making them too. The mini-album is delighttful with all its little surprises along the way and thanks for reminding me about the crocheted shammrock. I had made it years ago and then forgotten about it. Time to pull that pattern out agian. Happy ST. Paddy's Day!

Debi Y. said...

All of your projects are great - love the potholder.

Happy St. Patrick's Day. :)

sjmcdowell said...

Hi Tina,

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!

I thank you so much as well for being a great swap buddy!! I think we both had alot of fun swapping ATC's and the goodies we included for each other was so much fun too!!

I love your St. Patricks album it is so cute!!

You were a joy to meet and hope we can swap again sometime!!!

Hugs and Smiles,

Susan
xxoo

Beverooni said...

I especially love the little St. Patrick's Day book. I'd love to make some of my own but I'm afraid once I got started I wouldn't be able to stop. T'would be the end of life as I know it for sure!

Everything was lovely today and we have missed you. Don't stay away so long next time.

Shana said...

Ooh I love the atc's and I have thought many times about joining in there but I do not need another hobby lol. Or I might lose a hubby ;) I love hearing from you again. I miss your posts sweet friend!

Pammy Sue said...

Very cool, Teener! Sound like you will fit right in with that group. You are very creative! Nice job on your first try too.

Happy St. Patty's Day to ya!

Faith said...

Lucy...Happy St Patrick's day from one lass to another...You are just too too creative girl...where do you find all the time...? Beautiful show n tell today...Shamrock potholder? you don't say? I'll have to drum one of those up tonight...I love them potholders....Ethyl

Doris Sturm said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Tina! You sure have been a busy gal. I've not been blogging as much either because I'm outside having fun enjoying our nice spring weather...plus my container gardening - everything's taking off and there's just no time to sit on the computer when you're busy doing things! I love your creations and that little teapot is adorable...I love tea, green or otherwise ;-) I hope UBU is doing well - Gizzy is sending happy woofs in his direction!

Have a blessed day,
Doris and the Gizz

Doris Sturm said...

p.s. thanks for the potholder pattern - I like it! Yours came out really pretty!

Leann said...

Oh you are really going to town! Where are you ordering all your supplies from?

Love the book!
Leann

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

Tina,
So many pretties here today!!

Thanks for your visit!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Diann said...

Oh, I love your St. Patrick's Day scrapbook! So many pretty details. Great job on it!

Simply Debbie said...

Dear Tina,
What a beautiful ATC you made and the one you received from Susan is awesome also. I knew in my deepest heart you would love swapping ATC's...there was never any doubt in my mind you would be excellent at it but it is so much fun anticipating the card you get back.
I have made you 2 ATC Wizard of Oz cards. I am going to make you 3 more but I will mail these 2, to you Monday, if I don't get them all done today....you can add to them if you want because I love your Creative eye and they are for your Wizard of Oz book...let me know the next movie and I'll start some ATC's for that.
Oh I LOVE YOUR Barbie Red Ruby Shoes.
Your St. Patrick's day book is gorgeous and your tags are stunning.
hugs to you sweet friend
Simply Debbie

Clara said...

Love all your ATC cards and thanks for all of the lovely links. I already have one of the dolls on my to do list.

Faith said...

Hi Lucy....long time no post? Are you busy creating something fabulous to show us all? Oh it is a glorious morning here, breezy, and mild the birds are in their glory...my chimes are gently tapping.....so lovely.. That ice cream date is right around the corner, I think I'll have....peppermint, no chocoloate, mm no....how bout one of each..? heee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!