Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Vintage Sewing Tag

Recently, I thought I'd throw myself into yet another challenge.  I've put together a tag for Tag Tuesday, now hosted by Rebecca, HERE at Blog Challenge Garden.  The theme this week is "Vintage Sewing", and was I ready for this!  I had my materials already set, really, saving a few scrappy bits and pieces I knew I'd want to use for the personal (all-about-me) scrapbook I've been working on. 

This is the front of the tag. 


I remember losing the manual to my very first sewing machine.  I ordered a new one to come in the mail;  and of course, didn't I just FIND the original later!  I knew I could get away with cutting out a few bits and pieces of one of the copies, while still saving the other; and so you see the exact image of that very special machine!   No bling or glitter on my tag...   I look at this, and it is just perfect for my purposes.  Most importantly, it makes me smile, for the happy memory that it brings.


I remember my mother had an old machine, and how I longed to make wondrous creations from it;  but the machine did not work, despite my every effort and hope to somehow make it work.  I guess it was not on my parents' priorities list to have it fixed, simply so that I could sew up a few Barbie outfits...   Nor was it, perhaps, in their budget to fix it;  so I did some farm work as a teenager, and probably a little babysitting at that same time, and finally I earned myself the money to buy my own machine!  The image you see on my tag is that machine!...   A Sears Kenmore sewing machine!...   And so began my love for sewing, at right around the age of 16.   On the back of my vintage sewing tag, you see a tag-in-a-tag, so that I can journal about what a treasure that was to me!

Busy as usual, there are other projects I'm working on at the moment, some I'll show soon, and some I CAN'T show yet, for various reasons...   But here is one more little thing I made recently.  I've seen these soda pop tab bracelets before, but finally found the time to throw a couple together!


Of course I wouldn't go wearing them to Governor's Ball, (ha! ha!)...  but when do I ever go to THAT anyways?!   What I love most about these, is they're inexpensive...   I think they're cute, and you all KNOW I love making things with my own two hands!   I recycled...  Oh, and Kristen Stewart (Bella) wears them. (See HERE!)...   So I'm "cool"!..   right?!!


Well, all that, and I have wrists (no lie!) that measure 5 3/4" around.  Just TRY to find watches and bracelets, in the adults' section of a store, that come in that size!...   Not likely!  I have to have EVERYTHING adjusted!  So, these were quick and fun anyways, and so far, I'm not breaking out from them!  Hooray!  I'm sure I'll be making more!...  If you'd like to see how, if not for yourself, then for your kids/grandkids maybe...   just go HERE, for a video tutorial!  Head over to Textiles4You, where Kristy will show you some crochet ones she's made too!

As always, thanks so much for stopping by, and a special thanks to Rebecca for hosting Tag Tuesday...  I look forward to participating again soon!


20 comments:

BelleSouth said...

What a wonderful remembrance piece! It's lovely!

Thanks for playing -
Rebecca

Doris Sturm said...

You are so multi-talented...I love those tags...I remember my first sewing machine was a Singer with the pedal and it drove me nuts. I could not get coordinated, but then I was just a kid!

Kristy said...

I love the tag. Great job.

Your tab bracelets look great! I love the ribbon colors. Also thank you for the link love.

Chatty Crone said...

You are talented! I love those tags - I wish I had a sweing machine- it has been a long time and I miss having one.
Love the pop top bracelet too.
Sandie

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great tags, love the sewing machine.

Faye said...

Lovely tags and some really special memories. My first sewing machine I owned I bought the first or second year of marriage. It was the first slant needle machine made by Singer. It looked a lot like the picture of yours.

peggy gatto said...

I love the details on your tag!

Felicia said...

That is a lovely story, a sewing machine of your own really is a treasure!
I haven't seen those bracelets before, the craze obviously hasn't reached Ireland yet! They are cool, i'm definately going to play with those.
Oh, by the way I ADORE your tag!!

Barbara said...

I thought that sewing machine on your tag looked familiar, it's my original Sears Kenmore! It's still working, a real tough one. Lovely bracelets!

Diann said...

Great tag and I love your tab bracelets too!
Diann

woodandfabric said...

Great Tag! And Beautiful Bracelet too!

crochetwithtamara said...

Oh Tina. I love your tag and guess what? My first sewing machine was a Kenmore too. I almost cried when it stopped working about 5 years ago. I love your bracelets too.

Love,
Tamara

Linda M. said...

Welcome to Tag Tuesday. I really just got into making tags a few months ago and I do enjoy making them. I love the theme challeges they inspires me to create something unexpected. Great tag and I like the bracelet.

Nancy said...

Great tag! The images from the manual are perfect! Your tab bracelet is really neat. :)

Hellemor said...

Beautiful tag. Great taken on the challenge.

Kristen said...

Nice work.

stampdiva said...

Great retro vibe to your tag.
Wishes
Lynne M

JannaStamps said...

Your tag is really nice, it just makes me think of Simplicity Patterns, or maybe McCalls :) I love those bracelets too, they are really "cool"!! :)

Tim said...

Cool stuff.

Just a Few Designs said...

hey girly, wanted to drop by and show sum luv. I hope your doing well...and wow, you have freakisly little wrists! lol Odd the things we learn about each other here on our cyber world. I'm gonna have to go and look at krystals wrists, i have no idea how big they are...lol
gotta love ya
hugs
Elsa