Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Quaff, oh quaff this cup of coffee!!!...  I got up late this morning, and am posting this quick before I go to church!

"Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe", wrote Edgar Allan Poe in his poem "The Raven".  I always loved this line, ever since seeing how Homer says it in the Simpson's version of the poem!!  It's funny, if you haven't seen it!  But what does it mean?  By definition, quaff means to drink heavily, which sadly, in the end, is a problem that probably killed Poe in 1949, when he was only a 40 year old man.  Nepenthe, by definition, is an anti-depressent, something taken with intent to forget sorrow or pain.

In the spirit of Halloween, I wanted to post "The Raven" as read by James Earl Jones.  What a voice on this man!  As perfect for this poem, as Vincent Price was at narrating his part in the song "Thriller"!!


I love that poem!  It's gotten to be as much a tradition to me as the "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" special!

Speaking of traditions, 
I got out my book of spells yesterday...


Ha! Ha!.. My big ol' recipe book, I mean...  and I baked my Great Pumpkin cookies!!  


Today the kids and I will be decorating them with frosting and candies of different sorts!...    We'll also be carving our pumpkin that we picked up yesterday!  I was so relieved we had a fair assortment to choose from!  Usually, by now, they're all gone!!!  I hope I can show some photos of everything tomorrow..  We'll see if the camera is cooperative or not! 

Happy Halloween to everybody!
God bless..  Have fun today, and hope you're enjoying
this holiday weekend!

 

0 comments: