Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tea, Crochet, and Homework!

As I sit here quietly at my computer, with my cup of tea close by, I take a deep breath, and savor this moment of stillness.

"Better is a handful of quietness
than two hands full of toil..."
(Ecclesiastes 4:6)

Today is Tea Time Tuesday, at Rose Chintz Cottage, so I take this break to set up my newest Pierette, Royal Albert teacup for the occasion!  I found it at my local thrift shop recently.  While it did not come with a matching saucer, I still could not resist the pretty pastel green and polka dot design of this dainty little piece of English china!


Joining me today is a doll that was given to me by a woman in church, when I was just a young girl.  She sewed the outfits for these dolls herself, and well, this is how it happened...

Church service was over that Sunday morning, and the congregation was filing out, down the isle, and out of the building.  As usual, if weather permitted, people would still gather around outside for conversation and fellowship before leaving.  I remember seeing a woman carrying around a number of these pretty dolls, and I just couldn't resist running to her for a closer look at them!  Next thing you know, my parents are wondering where I got this newfound treasure...  this brand new dolly of my very own, that I am clearly over the moon with happiness about!  While I recall they weren't very happy with my manners and lack of permission in this exchange, I then remember they offered to pay this very kind-hearted woman, but she refused.  So, of course, much to my delight at the time, I knew the matter was settled, and now I could bring her home with me!  (With all my heart, I do still thank you Sylvia, every time I look at her!)

Well, it looks like another full day ahead!  I've heard it said, "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it." (Henry David Thoreau)...  Oh, I'd like to think, or at least HOPE so, because I have certainly been busy around here!


I have finally finished a crochet shawl I've been working on, for the past week or so!  Inspired by one Pammy Sue made, and then having plenty of yarn on hand to do so, I began this latest project!  I've mentioned already that I had to "frog" it twice, and was stubbornly tempted to try the pattern a third time, but I decided that I was wrong to even begin the project, altering it when I was not familiar enough with the pattern as it was.  BIG MISTAKE!...   So I went on to try a different pattern, in as similar a style as I could find.  HERE is where you can find it, if you'd like to try it yourself.

As I was working on this pattern, Susie, from First Floor Flat had emailed and asked me if I had a simple crochet pattern on hand for floral earrings, so I referred her to one I knew of HERE.  Again, I found myself inspired, and I decided it might be nice to add these flowers to my shawl!...   So,  I got out my embroidery flosses and size 7 crochet hook, and began crocheting some flowers!


I decided to do an edging based on one I found from a book I have.  The leaf behind each flower is simply a ring of 18 chain stitches, using a 4-ply ww yarn. I then tied the middle with my sewing thread to form 2 leaves, sort of like a figure 8.  I hand sewed the leaves to the shawl, then the flower, and then a pearl bead at the center of each flower.  From there, I spaced each flower every two scallops apart.


While this shawl was no longer looking at all appropriate for Fall, I was still very happy with how it was coming out!!..   I guess this will be nice for next year, and I'll just have to make another one more seasonable for September of THIS year!..   IF I can find the time to!


Well, you know me...  Why stop there?!  
I then went on to make more little crocheted flowers!...  

I made two pairs of earrings...

and then I made a barrette!

I'm not sure what I'll be working on next.  I'd like to get back to my Blessings project actually.  I'm afraid the summer season has distracted me, and I have not worked on it in quite some time.  

Meanwhile, I have been back and forth with the school, as I try to establish a basic SCHEDULE for exactly what is required and what I should be teaching Dear Son for this school year.  It's been a little frustrating, as I found one hand didn't seem to know what the other hand was doing;  but I'm feeling better that I seem to have finally found the right people to settle upon a game plan to with, and that I've now got a few more resources and knowledgeable people to refer to if ever I need help....   It's a start, and I am hopeful, as today now marks our first day of school for the year!  

Dear Daughter is looking at a full schedule ahead herself!  She has just finished moving into a bigger apartment, and is teaching full-time, while still attending school for her master's degree!  Whew!  Don't ask me how she does it.  All I know is I couldn't be prouder!  She is following her dreams, and she's achieving her goals!!  I'm a little sad to see the summer end, knowing I won't see her as often, now that she is so busy.  But she is such a good girl!  I know she calls and keeps in touch as much as she possibly can!!

Well, back to my day, and everything I can pack into it!!  I'll have to run to the store at some point for some swiss and mozzerella cheese!  Tonight we're having Chicken Cordon Bleu Pizza for dinner!  I've made this before, and it was delicious!  A couple of nights ago, I felt daring and tried this chicken recipe, using Cheddar Jack Cheez-its!!!   It was very quick and easy, and actually pretty good!  Dear Son loved it!

I've really been enjoying all the beautiful fall decorating some of my friends in Blogland have been doing!!  I'm afraid I'm still in denial here, as I hate to see Summer go...  But as you all inspire me so, perhaps I can be persuaded to at least peek through a couple of my storage boxes for a few items in Autumn hues!

Thank you so much for stopping by!  I hope you'll also pay Sandi a visit, as she serves tea at Rose Chintz Cottage!


Have a great day!   



0 comments: