Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tea is for Teacher!

Today is National Teacher Appreciation Day, while the entire week still honors the wonderful teachers out there whom I will forever call heroes!  So today I prepared a small tea party in their honor!  Each and every Tuesday Sandi, from Rose Chintz Cottage & Inspirations, hosts Tea Time Tuesday, an event for all to enjoy.


I have a great deal of respect for those teachers who deserve such honor.  I have come across, from since I was a child myself, right up to present times, while my son is still in school, some teachers who are not so deserving.  This is a field of work where a teacher can touch a child's life so deeply..  and permanently.  It sickens me to think of the ones that really don't like their jobs.  We've all had them!  It just seems to me, that if this is the case, they should LEAVE!    Our kids DESERVE a good teacher, who WANTS to be there!

 
However, it is those who stay after school, who work all night when they get home, thinking of plans and activities that will spark a child's yearning to learn!  It is those teachers who will ask a child "Can I help you?", instead of hiding behind the excuse "well, the child didn't ask me for help"!..  So many budget cuts are there, that a teacher can hardly staple a couple of papers together anymore!  But then there's the teacher who will reach into his/her own wallet to contribute towards her class!  God bless the teachers who come into class smiling, and go home from class smiling about their day with our kids!  THESE teachers are heroes, and they do not get paid nearly what they deserve! 

If you can read this, 
Thank a teacher!


Si puede leer esto, 
Thank a Spanish teacher! (My daughter teaches Spanish!)

In the above photo, you see a few plastic canvas gifts I've made for teachers over the years. On the left is a notebook. In the center is an apple pencil, and on the right are hall passes!  It's never too hard to just send a little something to thank a teacher on this special day of recognition.  Fill a small basket, or maybe a hand-painted terracotta pot with a teacup, various flavored teabags, pens, pencils, stickers, candies, an apple or some homemade cookies, etc., etc...  For more ideas, look HERE...  Any gift simply tells a teacher you cared and appreciated him/her enough to have been so thoughtful to take the time...  And they appreciate that so much more than you might think!


Well, I certainly appreciate that you stopped by today!  Don't forget to say hello to Sandi, then take a peek at the list of other tea parties taking place in Blogland that you might not want to miss!

~Beansie~

19 comments:

AZBelle (Sandy) said...

What a great post Beansie! My sister has been an elementary school teacher for almost 30 years and still loves her job as much as she did when she first started! She is one of those who goes the extra mile for her students, and I am so proud of her. Thanks for dedicating your tea time to teachers :)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Tina,
I appreciate your post honouring teachers. I had a couple of terrific ones when I was growing up and they do make such an impression on a child. My youngest son is studying for his PhD in Math and someday soon he will be through. In the meantime, he is teaching this summer and doing research as well, which he loves. Being a teacher is a lot of work and we do need to pay tribute to them; especially the ones who really care! Thank you for sharing and for joining me for Tea Time Tuesday. Wishing you a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Doris Sturm said...

Thank you, Tina. Nicely said! I appreciate it even though I'm not a "professional" teacher, I'm a crochet and knitting instructor at a local Technical College (knit one, purl two) and have had some memorable teachers in my time as well. It takes a lot of patience, dedication and love to enter that line of work. I know it's not easy, but I'm forever thankful that there are people in this world who chose that professions.
Thanks to all the teachers out there :-) We appreciate and need you!

rosechicfriends said...

Thanks for the reminders of HOW important a teacher really is in the life of a child.

With my dd graduating this year we have had many good and a few who should have left. I have appreciated the part they have had in my dd life and KNOW that this why she wants to go on to College and be a teacher herself!

Happy Tea!
Lorena

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

I had some wonderful teachers in my life and it was their influence that lead me on the path that i chose in life with my education and also showed my what I was capable of doing in many ways!
Thanks for the great reminder!
Happy Tea time!
Debbie

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Tina
For every bad apple there are plenty of good ones. If a student is lucky enough they will have fond memories of a few special teachers, I know I do.
Judith

myletterstoemily said...

i imagine all the teachers at your kids' school want
to have them in their classes, because you're kids
are great but also for your amazing gifts!

after years of giving gifts begrudgingly to some
teachers who did not deserve them, i began to
think of the gifts as rewards. i made them VERY
rewarding but only gave them to the deserving.

it sounds kind of terrible, but the great teachers
appreciated it.

Marilyn said...

Thanks, as a teacher, for the nice tea time dedication. I've always loved the cards and letters from students and parents. School should always be about the KIDS! ♥♫

Barbara said...

Wonderful post Beansie! We should all appreciate the teachers who went out of their way to really help a student.

Natasha said...

I am a teacher and so is my sister Holly (and so is her husband!) so this post is really special.

I have just quit full-time teaching so that I can be around more for my 10 year old son and 13 year old daughter during their high school years. I know I would never have been able to be there for them if I was teaching full-time as it is such a demanding job-you summed it up beautifully!

I will send this link to Holly right now!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Sir and Miss said...

As Natasha posted above, she did email me straight away. Thank you for such a lovely post about teachers. My husband and I are both teachers and we love our jobs. It is incredibly consuming (time-wise, emotionally and mentally) but the rewards make it more than worthwhile.

Happy Tea Time,

Holly
x

CC said...

Hi dear Tina...
And I will hug a teacher today..and a soon to be teacher.My daughter in love is a teacher, and my eldest son is completing his last year before teaching. Somehow my daughter in love managed to get her Masters after my third grandbaby was born..how she did it..I don't know, but I stand and applaud all young women who somehow manage it all. My son carries a heavy load at school,manages to run a gun shop that he,a friend and a friends father have going,(my son is also a gunsmith),,and has had sole custody of his teenage daughter for the last 12 years. I'm proud of my teachers..and I'm proud of yours.
I'm happy you like the new Sue pattern.. I had intended to put my embroidery away for awhile, but I think I'm gonna do more tea towels.
Goodness knows I have enough floss, and then..the last time at Goodwill, there was a very large plastic bag completely filled with embroidery floss. It was marked $4.00, and the lady behind the register said that was too much..and she sold it to me for 50 cents. If you run out of some colors,let me know. :). xxx

GWENDOLYN said...

My son (who is now a adult) had ADHD as a child. And he had some great , patient teachers, and some not so great. I remember the good ones best, and not just them, but also the speech therapist he had, the secretary who gave him his meds everyday and the principal who looked out for him when other children picked on him. I always did my best back then to let them know how much we appreciated their time and patience with our only son.
Blessings
Gwen

cwa said...

Hooray for teachers! They really can make a tremendous difference in a child's life. We definitely need to do more to recognize and support the good teachers in our communities. Thanks for the reminder. Blessings.

Micki said...

I taught English from 1972 till 1997, so I do know what it is all about.
Lovely post!
Micki

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh goodness........I SO agree with you. Teachers truly can make or break a kidlet. I had just written about my little grandson who was not treated well....in fact, he was treated horribly, so my daughter moved him to a new school several weeks ago. His new teacher couldn't be more fabulous. We ADORE her and are celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week heartily this week. We're going to be speaking with the superintendent of schools regarding his teacher AND the administration at his old school. There was no excuse for their behavior.

Have a wonderful weekend sweet chickie!

xo
Spencer

CC said...

I just ran by to wish for you a most wonderous and happy Mothers Day. May it be blessed with those you love..xxxxx CC

Faith said...

Happy Mother's Day Lucy....Enjoy your special day!

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

Yes, I have encountered teachers who really are teachers :-) and some that made me question (how and why?).

There was this quotation from Aquinas that I remember (though not memorized). But what it's saying is that a true teacher reaches out. And I do agree. I had a teacher who really knows how to encourage students. . . makes us study more and learn more and really try our best.

Just thinking that children spend a lot of time in the classroom - teachers get to help mold them. They are amazing and should be appreciated more!

Mizpah,
Li