Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ocha Namu?

I really do look forward to Tea Time Tuesdays, hosted each week by Sandi, at Rose Chintz & Inspirations, and I'm so glad you're here! I love setting up, and baking something special just for such an occasion! "Konnichiwa!" Please come in! Sit down! Everything's ready! "Ocha nomu?" (Would you like some tea?)


I made oatmeal raisin cookies for today. They are a nice soft cookie, that I'm sure are much healthier for you than most other cookies I bake!.. Of course, I can't help knocking down the nutritional value just a tad, by topping them off with frosting! I like them better this way, but I also think the frosting helps keep them soft.

So, what do I mean by "Konnichiwa"?.. It means "Hello" in Japanese, because today, I'd like to show just a small but very pretty little Japanese tea set. It's my understanding that my grandfather brought these home from Japan, for my grandmother, after serving overseas during WWII. The little teapot is about 3 and 1/2" wide, and 2" tall. The saucer is 3 and 1/4" in diameter. There is no teacup. If there was one, I don't know whatever happened to it. At some point, sometime ago, these pieces were given to me, and I've always loved them for just what they are!


There are faint traces of blue, and if you can just see them, there are dragons, like the ones you see in parades, on both pieces! There is no mistaking the oriental characteristics in the design of these pieces.


Oh, now see the fun I'm having here? Plenty of blue now! I suppose this is old school for a lot of my blogging friends, but I'm enjoying it! In fact, now I'm wondering, wouldn't this effect be fun for scrapbooking?!.. Or do a lot of you probably already know this?...

Well, while wishing I could have shown better photos today, and while constantly fighting with a very temperamental camera, I am also trying to learn more about editing my photos... One place to go for the best advice on that is at the 1st Floor Flat Computery! I'm learning a lot there! One special photo-editing effect I'm most eager to try is "Colour Splash". There is a world of information that Susie has for you there; and if you have a question, she's very happy to help you the best she can! The beautiful blog makeover you see here today is all thanks to her talent, time, and generosity! My new look is more than I ever dreamed it could be, and I just cannot thank her enough! If you ask me, I do believe Susie is the Fairy Godmother of Blogland!... And to know her is to love her!

Well, did you like my cookies? Weren't they nice with tea, today? Would you like the recipe? I'm happy to share it with you! It makes approximately 4 dozen cookies. Click on the picture for full-size printing!


I wish I could tell you where I got this recipe card. I tried to google it, but couldn't find it. It's so cute, though, isn't it?! I did, however, come across a blog where you can find printable recipe cards, and all kinds of other printable goodies, right HERE! A nice template to make and design your own recipe cards can be found right HERE!

Well, yesterday, I told you about the spanish word "panqueques", so I thought today I would share a few words in Japanese! The word "ocha" means tea. "Ryoku-cha" means green tea. "Koucha" means British/black tea... If you would like to read more about the cultural ceremony of tea in Japan, you can do so HERE!


Thank you so much for stopping by today! It's always my pleasure to see and hear from you! Please be sure to stop and see Sandi, and all the other participants who will be serving tea today!

"Dewa mata!" English translation, "See you later!"

~Beansie~

12 comments:

GWENDOLYN said...

What a very special tea set that must be, old and handed down. Your cookies look and sound so very scrumptious.
Blessings.
Gwen

Susie Jefferson said...

What a lovely post Tina - and thank you for saying such nice things about me - I'm blushing! So glad you like your makeover - and that everyone else likes it as well.

Big hug, Susie xoxo

Beverooni said...

Thank you for the sweet invitation to tea. I loved the cookies and I think the tea set is absolutely gorgeous. I really do. Beautiful. I also love the look of your blog. Happy Spring!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Tina,
What a wonderful tea you have served up today, complete with all kinds of instructions; recipe and Japanese lessons! Your little tea pot is so cute and a precious heirloom! Your cookies were good too! I'm so happy you've joined me again this week for Tea Time! Your blog is always happy and you make a wonderful hostess! Have a great evening, sweet friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Lisa said...

Yummy!! save some for me!!
Hugs, Lisa

Beth said...

I like your post. Very creative effects, too! I love your Japanese miniature tea set!
Blessings, Beth

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

Your blog does look wonderful and so pretty and fresh!!!

Shana said...

Oh I love the tea set beansie. I have some cups and saucers from Korea, sake cups and tea cups from Japan, handmade beaded coasters from China and a bunch of other stuff my best friend sent me. She is in the Air Force and always sends me cool stuff from other countries. Maybe I need to post some pics of that stuff. The cookies look awesome.

Vicki said...

Hi, Tina,
I love your pretty new blog look. Susie is a real sweetheart and so talented, too. I also loved seeing your Japanese tea pot and plate. I enjoyed hearing the story about your grandfather bringing them to your grandmother. So very sweet of him. Yes, I would love to join you for tea and some of those delicious cookies! Thank you so much for stopping by Bunny Cottage for a visit. Have the loveliest of weeks, my friend! Vicki

rosechicfriends said...

Oh what a sweet tea set! And those cookies look so yummy! Thanks for your sweet post!
Blessings..Lorena

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

Such a lovely Tea Set and the cookies look so yummy! And what an informative post today!! I really enjoyed it!!
Debbie

Keri said...

Love your new look, Tina! The cookies look scrumptious. I just had some hot "Mint Medley" tea, and a couple of those cookies would have made my tea break just perfect!