Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My New Camera Case



Would you look at this camera case? This is the one I've been using for years. It's plain. It's not the least bit pretty or feminine looking at all, and it has no strap. Yuck!.. I don't know why it did not occur to me, for so long, to make one. I think I just overlooked it for so long. It was serving it's purpose for the most part. Eventually, I thought, well.. There are so many pretty ones in the stores. I'll just buy one! But every time I got to the stores, the camera case was entirely forgotten, and apparently I must not have deemed it important enough to add to my shopping list. So, looking at my little black case most recently, I had to shake my head. I HAVE the ability for heaven's sake! It's high time to ditch the old one, and make my OWN camera case! Since Walmart closed their fabric department, I don't have the time to just run to the fabric stores any time I feel like it now. Unless for some really big project that I feel is worth the bother of a road trip, I now look for fabrics by other ways and means. I often recycle fabrics. Most recently I recycled blue jeans!... But often I buy bedsheets and pillow cases which, even brand new, are often cheaper than purchases would be at a fabric store, yet are just as nice in quality! Sometimes I can use old linens, or terrycloth towels too, but for today's purposes, I used this...


It seemed to me this placemat would be perfect for my project! It's just the right amount of fabric needed. I liked the color. Being quilted, the batting and lining are already done for me; so of course, I like this! Now, let me just get comfortable at my sewing machine, here... My coffee is close by, and I think I'm ready to see what I can create with this!


First, I trimmed the sides of my placemat... approximately 1 and 1/2" or so off each longer side of the placemat. This was to leave myself with a size that is necessary for holding my camera and any accessories I carry with it. I saved the sides I trimmed away, to later make the strap of my case. Next, I estimated my seams by folding the fabric, in approximately thirds, to plan where the actual bag would end, and then where the front flap would begin. Once I figured that, I started sewing my side seams, then boxed the bottom corners so that the bag can sit flat. You can go HERE, for a nice tutorial on how to box corners. From there, I put together a strap by sewing one long tube, approximately 11" in length. I pressed the tube flat. Then I formed it into a circle, which was then sewed onto the top of the flap.


I really don't like velcro. In fact, I hate it, so I chose to sew a metal snap to keep my case securely closed. For a little embellishment, I sewed a silk ribbon bow, with a little vintage button to the front of the flap, then I added a silver heart charm to the strap, which says "follow your heart"... And voila! My 2-dollar project was done in just one night, and I've got a brand new camera case that is now SO-oooo much prettier than that other old thing!! I really am happy with how this came out, and I'm thinking this could be a very nice Mother's Day gift idea too!


Thanks to Leslie, at My Country Home, for hosting Whatcha Working On Wednesday! I hope you stop by and say hello to her, and then maybe visit any others who may be participating today!


Please also say hi to Jana, at Collected Treasures for the Home, Heart, and Soul! You'll want to check out what quick project she has in store for Quick Project Thursday! I know I certainly enjoy a "hello" and a visit from all who stop here, and I thank you so much! I hope everyone's enjoying the beautiful Spring weather like we're so lucky to have here, this fine day!



~Beansie~

27 comments:

CC said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder how many ways there are to say how much I love this beautiful,wonderful little camera case.I simply love,love,love it. Love the color,the lace..it's so sweet and pretty.
You did well !!!!!!!!
p.s. Still loving your blog..we're both so filled with pink..Isn't Susie wonderful...

Jenglamgirl said...

Love the prettified camera case, soft too, to keep it from being scratched. Way to go! HAVE A GREAT DAY! Jenn

Lisa said...

Well Done!! I LOVE making things with placemata. so far only used them for purses though! A few years ago they had these woven purses with ribbon handles that everyone had and were very pricy in the boutiques so I found placemats and ribbon and made my own. Well ok grandma sewed them I am machine impaired!! But they were sure fun!! Yours really is adorable, Enjoy! ♥
Hugs, Lis

Doris Sturm said...

Oh, how cute, Tina! This is truly feminine and it doesn't even look like a camera case, it looks like a cute little purse - which it is!

You are so talented, I can't stand it ;-)

Have a great day!

Bella said...

I love this! It looks soooo pretty, Tina. And I love that you used what you had on hand and turned it into something beautiful with your creativity. Even camera cases should be beautiful. :)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Awesome! I am loving it. Isn't it amazing how we just ignore things sometimes. I've had things that I really didn't give any thought to....hey, it's functional...and then one day....YIKES!

Have a great day..

Huggies,
Spencer

Beverooni said...

You are SOOOOO clever. Great job.

myletterstoemily said...

i have to admit that when i first saw your old camera
case, i had to suppress a shudder. it must have reminded
me of one of my old purses or something.

could you hold them up, side by side, and let us choose
which one is prettier?

you're brilliant!

Keri said...

So multi-talented! I thought we were going to see crochet, and as I scrolled down, VOILA!! What a neat and practical idea. I've got this brand new sewing machine sitting nearby, only been used once, and it intimidates the heck out of me! Anyway, you did a great job and your camera thanks you very much for getting rid of that old, brown thing. :)

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

I'm lookin for my camera case...it's alot like your old one. I think I lost it on purpose. Yay!! I want one like yours! I'll put this post on my LIST of Beansie Projects to do. It's getting to be quite a List....I love all your projects. Thanks for visiting today and defining HOOT for me! LOL!!! And I'm glad we are BlogginBuds, too!

glor said...

Oh is this so cute. I just love this case. What a great idea. I have to have one!

Nancy M. said...

I know what you mean, there are things I only think about buying when I'm at home, never in the store, lol!

That is so nice! I can't believe you were able to make it so cheap! It would have cost more at the store and not been half that pretty!

Cindy said...

You have the prettiest camera bag around and you made it!
Thank you for stopping by and your kind words about losing our Homer. We are still reeling but that helped a lot.
Thank you,
Cindy

Hootin' Anni said...

Marvelous. I made one for my own camera a few months ago...that way I got the little 'pouches' inside as I need them, and where I wanted them...unlike the expensive ones that they try so sell to use consumers that really don't fit our needs.

Well done.

shannon i olson said...

Hi thanks for stopping at my blog! I love your pup, and those shoes with the denim flowers are so cute, I could supply a store with my blown out jeans (unfortunately) :( Have a great day.

Faith said...

Very pretty and feminine..I thought there was going to be crochet magic camera case..I like the color of the case...and the lace sets it off nicely.

Mary said...

You are a truly clever gal. Pretty and practical and far less expensive than anything you could have found in a store. I'm sure you'll use it for a long time to come. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Caroline said...

Love the new camera bag. You always know what little details to add to make a project pop! Love the ribbon and button.

susan said...

People who sew amaze me--you could never buy anything this cute. I wish I had paid attention in home ec :) Thanks for stopping by. I agree with you about the cookbooks--I have told my children to cook the recipes with the stains when I am gone :)

Petite moi said...

Thanks for stopping by:o)
This looks so pretty! I love it! I will have to make one myself for my camera, since I'll be gone all summer I will probably need a camera and will need it to be safe and secured. But also beautifully wrapped, right? Hahaa!
smiles, Erika

Kimbles said...

Hi Tina Thank you for the comment on my blog! I love the camera case how utterly charming it is, well done to you! In reponse the you question about the granny stars on my blog - check out www.theroyalsisters.blogspot.com a great blog where I got the pattern from! Nice to chat with you **Kim**

Leann said...

What can I say? You just amaze me. Where do you get all your creative energy my friend?

Enjoy your day!
Leann

Kelee Katillac said...

Hi Cute Beansie!

Love your camera case. What a great idea! Your sewing machine looks like its the same era as mine.....don't you love how dependable and simple she is?

Have a beautiful day!

love,kelee

Melody said...

You smarty! That is too cute.

Susie Jefferson said...

I had to smile when I saw the ruffled lace and the little heart on the camera case you made - such a Tina touch - adorable! And the handle is so practical too. What a clever and original idea! I've been toting mine around in an (overlarge) padded makeup bag - time to do a made-to-measure one myself! You've inspired me!

Shelia said...

You are truly the smartest one! I love your little camera case! What a great idea too to use the quilted placemat...more padding from bumps! You did such an excellent job on it too. The handle is a great idea too. I just may have to do this too!
I'm so glad you're coming to my Bathroom Snapping Party! It should be so much fun.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Shana said...

That is so cute. You amaze me with your talent Tina!!