Friday, April 2, 2010

Hippity Hoppity Beanbag Bunnies

I wanted to share this quick craft with everybody today. I have a group of toddlers and preschoolers at the church, so every holiday I'm looking to find new ideas for what little goodies I can give them for the occasion! Sometimes it's something bought. Sometimes, it might be candy or cookies of some kind...


But often there is at least one mother or two who prefer that their kids don't have candy. And that's fine. I respect that. But this, of course, makes me feel guilty, and the child is now miserable because Mommy won't let them have it!... So, as often as I can, I like most to make something for them. The kids love it, the Mommies love it, which then in turn makes me love it all the more!... Everybody's happy! Hippity Hoppity Hooray!!!


So, now I needed something cute for Easter. When wandering around Blogland one day, I came across this idea for beanbag bunnies, from Courtney, at Two Straight Lines! For the group of kids I have, and while considering my limited time AND finances, this was just what I was looking for!

Here's a picture of the ones I made!


The materials I used were as follows:

felt: in white for the bodies, and pastels for the ears
pink and royal blue embroidery floss
thread, and hot glue
pom-poms for the tails
To fill: use beans, rice, split peas, or uncooked pasta


To make these little bunnies, I started with a plastic Pillsbury ready-made frosting cover, to trace circles onto my white felt. You can use any bowl or cup to trace your circle to whatever size you want, but mine was about 3 1/2" in diameter. Cut two circles of felt for each bunny. I then took another plastic lid to cut a template out for the ears. You can cut the ears rounded or pointy, whichever you prefer; but just cut two felt ears per body. Position and sew those ears to the front of the body. Now, embroider eyes and noses to your bunny, referring to my photos, or Courtney's, whichever you prefer.


Place this top part of your bunny to the other unworked felt circle (wrong sides together), sew your circles together, leaving a small opening, (ahem)... where the tail would be. Fill the circles with any of the fillings listed above, but as my recipients of these toys are very young, I chose to use rice... I figured it was smallest and least likely to be choked on. I used just about 1/4 of a cup to fill my bunnies. Oh... and I used a funnel... You know where!

Ewww... Did I say that?


Well, you HAVE to use a funnel, so you don't spill the beans!.. I mean... the RICE!

Well, I don't know any prettier way to say these things!.. Next, I placed that bunny's little keester right back under the sewing machine needle, and sewed it shut!

Laughing Pictures, Images and Photos

All you have to do now is add a tail. You can use whatever size/color pom-poms you like, then just hot glue them on. I added a little glitter trim around the pom-pom, because it just looked to small to me, and a bigger pom-pom stuck out too much, I thought!


Well, that's it! You've got yourself a beanbag bunny!.. or two... or three!! They're fun to make, so they can easily multiply before you even know it!


Now for games you can play with beanbags, you can go HERE, or HERE. If you would like some other cute ideas for how to make different kinds of beanbags, here's a couple I thought were worth a look-see!.. HERE, and HERE.

Another popular pastime, using beanbags, is juggling! So make yourself a few for Easter, then watch this to learn how it's done! Come on... Admit it... You've always wanted to know how to do this! I'll bet it's on your bucket list, yes?.. No?... Amaze your friends? Maybe??



Well, it looks like fun to me!

~Beansie~

25 comments:

Vicki said...

Tina, the children will love those cute bunny beanbags!! Terrific idea and thank you for sharing the directions. Have a blessed Easter, sweet friend! Vicki

Shana said...

Oh gosh Tina those are so cute!! I love them. I'm telling you that you amaze me at all the crafty things you do.

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

What cute cute bunnies! And lucky those kids who aren't allowed candies cause you came up with this :-) Well, they are just as sweet as candies . . . and they last too so the little ones can play whenever they want :-)



Mizpah,
Li

The Happy Homemaker said...

What an adorable craft idea!I promise, if I attempt it...that I will be very gentle with the f-u-n-n-e-l:) LoL
Happy Easter,girl!!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Tina Sweetie...
These are just so stinkin darn cute. I love them. This would be something nice to make next year for my grandkids. I already have them covered for this year, but next I do believe that would be fun. I could personalize them also. What a beautiful little bunny. Even if the funnel does go WHERE? Love it sweetie.

Happy Easter and so much love...Sherry

Bella said...

What a cute craft! And how sweet you are to make sure the kids who can't have candy get something. You know, this past Halloween, I had one little boy who didn't like chocolate. And all I had was chocolate. Never occurred to me that a trick or treater wouldn't like chocolate. Luckily, though, I had picked up some little tiny Play-dohs for some of the smaller kids and he was content with that. Next year I'll be sure to get some non-chocolate candy. Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit - it's so great to know someone else out there loves British comedies, too. LOL. Keeping Up Appearances is great. So is the old Are You Being Served? And Coupling was great. So was Vicar of Dibley (one of my all-time favorites) and As Time Goes By. And I could go on and on... :) Hope you have a wonderful Easter.

Shabbychicdiva said...

So cute. Have a blessed Easter and a beautiful weekend. Winona

Susie Jefferson said...

What a fun post, love the idea. The juggling is fun too.

Fancy you loving our old UK comedies! Like Bella says, they are the best! Keeping up Appearances is a real classic, and we still watch the reruns.

Happy Easter!

Simone said...

Such a good and simple idea Beansie. I bet the children loved them! x

bj said...

awww, these are so so cute.!
Happy Easter.

Hootin' Anni said...

I love these!!! How awesome they turned out. And I bet the kids really, really liked them.

Now about that funnel....LOLOLOL

I just wanted to pop in and wish you and yours a very blessed holiday weekend.

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

Gosh, Tina...I'm still LOLing at the Ewwww Picture and the thought that those sweet Bunnies have a Keester. I'm guessing they must...never had a chance to catch a Texas JackRabbit to look. Fun post and really cute craft. Have a wonderful Easter weekend...Sue

Pammy Sue said...

What a great idea for the little ones! So cute.

Have a happy Easter weekend.

Caroline said...

Oh those are soooo cute and perfect for little hands. Have a very Happy Easter!!

CC said...

OOoooo,I love little bunnies. They're just as sweet as can be and I love the little tails.
And,I also love the picture of the little girl jumping in the air..wherever do you find these cute things? Have a happy Pink Saturday and a wonderful and blessed Easter my friend. Suri, Oscar and little Sunbonnet Sue send love,hugs and kisses for their favorite friend.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I CAN JUGGLE!

I love the faces on those bunnies. They are just adorable.

Diann said...

Oh, thes are just too cute! What a great idea. I am saving it in my craft idea file for next year!

I hope you and your family have a beautiful and blessed Easter!

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

What a cute craft!! They are adorable!! Happy Easter!!
Debbie

Marydon Ford said...

Oh, Tina, what cute & clever creations. The children are going to be thrilled.

Happy Easter!
Have a beautiful weekend.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Lisa said...

Bean bags!! I LOVE bean bags!!! Super cute!!!
Happy Pink Saturday!!
Happy Easter!
Hugs, Lisa

Melody said...

You have a Happy Easter too Tine. I love those Bunny Bean Bags. They'd make a cute part of a Corn Hole Game! Paint the board a grass pattern like a bunny hole for Bugs.
Hey I also wanted to let you know that Monday I'l be joining in on Market Monday over at the Etsy Cottage Style Blog. It's the same place where the Vintage Alphabet Party takes place. This one invites handmade creaters and vintage sellers to promote thier selling sites!I'm excited about this idea. Hope to see you there.

Suburban Hooker said...

Those little bunnies are ADORABLE!!! How thoughtful of you to bring them to the little people. I love your Easter tree too, you are far too crafty missy!!! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday. Happy Easter my friend!

Julie said...

Hi Tina, What cute cute cute bunnies...Love them...
Happy Easter
xoxo
Julie

Yarnjeannie said...

Another great project! You are truly talented!

Terri Smith said...

What a delight to visit you! Here's wishing you and everyone you love, the Happiest Easter Ever!

Blessings, Love and Sunshine, Terri