Wednesday, April 14, 2010

African Violets Table Runner

About a week ago, I started crocheting my African Violet motifs. You may refer back a few posts, to my April 7th entry, and see how I began with the project. I enjoyed making them, but was unsure how I wanted to pull them all together. Some readers favored the idea of placemats, but I decided on making a table runner. It just seemed to me, that I could make solid-colored placemats to tone down the wide range of colors that might already give my tablescape a bit of a busy overall look.


Having made my decision, I picked my project up and down, during the course of the week. Most often, the time I can find to do that is after dinner, while watching television. Well, finally I finished it... So for WIP Wednesday, hosted by Leslie , at My Country Home, I'm happy to show you how it came out!


It took 25 motifs to make a size I was happy with for the size of my table. The actual measurements came to be approximately 40" in length, and 13" in width.


Now here you see I have set out burgundy colored placemats, as that was the best I could coordinate for today's purposes. But I will soon be making another set, in some shade of pink, to better go with the runner... I've been wanting to make my own fabric napkins too, but I don't know WHEN I'll get to that.

From here... ha! ha! You know I'll be on the look out for some pretty purple/violet covered dishes of some sort. What a very pretty table I think that might make for next Easter! But I think the milk glass plates look pretty enough too, so I don't think it's a major priority on my shopping list...

Remember the healthy African Violet I spoke of before? It had buds, but you couldn't see them in the picture. Yesterday, I noticed the first flower bloom!!


I've always said my green thumb is a very light, pale, barely-can-see-it shade of green! I have had some luck with tomato plants, but I love African Violets!.. Maybe I get that from a grandmother who used to love them too! Through the years, I like to think I've gotten better with them, as less and less of them die after much longer periods of time! I'm very proud and happy about this!

For my next project(s)... I think I may start on a doll or two, like the ones I made for Haiti. I'd like to make those pink placemats, I mentioned... I've also been wanting to make some kind of Spring wreaths or decorations for both my front and back doors. As always, we'll see what time allows!... Thank you so much for stopping by today!

--------------------

15 comments:

Mel said...

What a splendid table runner! Looks absolutely terrific! Great job... Thanks for sharing - it's always a joy to visit you!!! Hugs!

Lisa said...

You are a busy bee! HAve fun! Love the runner! Happy Spring!
Hugs, Lisa

Bella said...

Tina, you are so talented!! I just love your table runner and the placemats. So, so pretty. I love the colors in that table runner. Glad to see your African Violet is starting to bloom, too.

Molly said...

Tina, your table runner is just gorgeous. I am going to try that motif one of these days. When I finish up my other projects????

Marsha's Mpressions said...

So pretty! And just think you don't even have to water it!!! hehe!

Collected Treasures...for the home, heart & soul said...

Hi Tina....your project looks beautiful and so does your new blog look....first time I've seen it and it suits you!
xojana

sissie said...

Hi Tina,
I love your table runner, you can see the detail work that you put into making that beauty.
Looks so pretty on your table.

hugs
Sissie

Doris Sturm said...

What a beautiful table runner. I must try it one day. I'm glad your green thumb is maintianing - maybe even getting a bit greener? The African Violet seems to think so. I love tomatoes too, just not the tomato worms (with the horn) seeing them on a plant will stop me eating fresh tomatoes for a year - that's how much time I'll need to get over it.
Hope it won't happen to you.
Nice to visit with you again, Tina, and give Ubu a big ubulicious hug and a belly rub from me ;-)
Love,
Doris :-)

DaCraftyLady said...

how pretty is this...I love all the colors like spring... :) You sure have been busy.. :)

Debb

Caroline said...

Your runner is absolutely gorgeous! Your workmanship and color choices are spot on! Thanks for your kind words on my blog; much appreciated!

Nancy M. said...

The table runner is so pretty! I love all the great colors!

daylily777 said...

The table runner is awesome ! I love it !
Blessings,
~Myrna

Terri Smith said...

Sweet Tina, the table runner is Fabulous! Truly a thing of beauty! Love the colors! Stunning! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Blessings, Joy and Thursday Sunshine, Terri

Leslie said...

That is very pretty! Very spring/summer like! I like the idea of finding things to coordinate with it :) Good luck!


Leslie

Shana said...

Oh I love it Tina!! Gorgeous. I really like the dolls you made too and can't wait to see more. I need to make Blaze a boy one but I am not so good with that type of crochet for some reason lol. I don't know how I missed this post. Sorry!!