Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Red for Easter?!

I don't typically post everyday, but there's just something about the holidays! As the days draw nearer to Easter, I think the spirit just fills me, and I can't help but want to post one day, the next day, and everyday, about my excitement in the preparations and activities leading up to the big day itself! So here I am for Rednesday!... But hmmm.. How many red things could I possibly post about that would relate to Easter? I really had to put on my thinking cap for this one!


How do you like THIS for an Easter Bonnet?!! Yes, I definitely see some red on that!... Do you think you could find a red Easter dress, or a pretty little red purse to match it?!


I remember making this "dressy" bag around Valentine's day, one year or other. I think it's sweet, but I'm afraid I don't use it as a purse. It's much too small to hold all MY "stuff"!!... What I really use it for is clothespins! If you would like to try to make one like it, you can find the pattern HERE.

Well, when seeking the color red around here, you may find a little red in the living room... maybe some red jellybeans in a jar on my coffee table...


But you can bet your little red wagon...


..that most of the red in my house can be found in the kitchen! Yes, here's where you'll find a little red for Easter!


This little Mama Bunny dressed in red gingham is my favorite little stuffed bunny of all. Just like me, she has her two little ones to take care of! She looks so cute carrying them in the pockets of her dress! Set with her is a little basket of Easter eggs, one of them red, as you can see! And what spring display... (or, excuse me... Is the word "vignette"?)... would be complete without a little bird or two? This little guy stands just about 8" tall, so he's nice and easy to see!

So there I was, this was about all I had in red specifically for Easter, but then I thought how, actually, red is a very symbolic color in regards to our Christian faith! It is the color associated with the blood that Jesus Christ had shed for all mankind. It is symbolic of God's love and the sacrifice of His Son for our sins. The Holy Bible says...


"..God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him.." (Romans 5:8-9)

Often we see images of Jesus wearing red...


These illustrations come from this little Bible Picture Book.... so titled in red. It has a copyright date of 1949.


But as Pontius Pilate had passed judgement and sentencing, a battalion of soldiers took Jesus away, "they clothed him in a purple cloak, and plaiting a crown of thorns, they put it on him". (Mark 15:17) They mocked him, and beat him. They spat upon him... When they were done, the stripped him of the purple cloak, and dressed him back into his own clothes, then led him out to crucify him.

Here is a cross necklace I made.


While it may be very simple in design, this is a favorite of mine. To me, it says "He Lives!" I wear it often, as each color of each bead intends to remind me of the following...

Black: represents our sins and how they distance us from our Heavenly Father, thus leaving us in darkness.

Red: represents the blood of Christ.

White: represents the cleansing of our bodies and souls from sin, as we repent, and look to God.

Blue: represents baptism, and the Holy Spirit that then resides within us, the believers.

Green: represents Christian growth. We "grow" through our good deeds, and in our knowledge of God.

Gold (or yellow): represents eternal life. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." (John 3:16-17)

If you would like to make this necklace, you can find how to do so HERE. I think it is a great project to share with kids.


Maybe this would be something to make in Sunday School, or with the church youth group, as lessons can be shared of what each color means.

Well, I'm off to get some housecleaning done, and if I make good timing, I may do some baking after that! I'd like to get out my sewing machine tonight, but as usual, we'll see what time allows! Thank you for stopping by today! I hope you'll pay Sue a visit, at It's a Very Cherry World! It's always fun to see what she and all the other Rednesday participants have to share each week! Have a great day, and see you tomorrow!

~Beansie~

21 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

What a lovely post, so versatile and colorful - mainly red ;-) I had to do a double take on your dress purse...it's adorable.
Have a wonderful day, Tina :-)

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Such lovely and heart felt reds. Love them!

SueLovesCherries said...

I would be the one bold enough (and crazy enough) to wear that hat! ~ much to my kids' horror! I do like that purse - adorable!

YES - there is power in the blood!

LemonyRenee' said...

Very nice post, Beansie. You just reminded me that I have a red bunny picture I always forget to put out. Thanks!

Simone said...

I would never have associated the colour red with Easter but you have rectified this! I do like the little hen with her red wagon full of eggs!!! x

GWENDOLYN said...

Lovely post! The clothes pin holding red dress is too cute!! Makes me wish I had a clothes line. The rooster card is very cute. Thanks for posting the colors of your beaded necklace and what they stand for.
Blessings!
Gwen

Nancy M. said...

It's surprising what colors you can find, if you only look! Love the mommy bunny and baby bunnies and the pic of the hen with the eggs!

Mary said...

Thank you for your wonderful post, Tina...amen!
I love that little red dress and I've saved the page to try and make on myself...it soooo cute. Happy REDnesday!

Susan at Charm of the Carolines said...

Beansie,
I purchased an old bottle recently that has that exact picture of a rooster pulling a red wagon full of eggs behind it pasted on the side. I love it! And have red tulip in it. Maybe I should take a pic for next Rednesday's post.

Susan

cwa said...

I have to say, that is the most unusual Easter bonnet I have ever seen. I'm not exactly sure what you would wear with it. Maybe something with a 1960s look to it, or perhaps something silver and shiny. No doubt, it would be an attention getter in the small town near us. Blessings and Happy Easter.

~~Carol~~ said...

That little red dress purse is just adorable, but I can't imagine it being big enough for any woman to carry! We all have so much important stuff! But I think it makes a sweet clothespin holder. If I had something like that hanging in my laundry room, I might actually enjoy doing it!
Happy REDnesday and Happy Easter!
Carol

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

Loved all of your Easter REDS!! You did a good job with finding red for Easter too!. I love the explanation of what the various colors mean! Happy Easter to you and yours!!
Debbie

Elly said...

Great Easter finds! My absolute favorites are the cute bunnies, Mommy and her 2 little ones. They're adorable!

Molly said...

I love all your Reds, and you were very smart on your Easter ones. I just love the little red dress, I hope it is okay with you I posted a photo of it and said where it came from and also posted a link to Cathy's and to her instructions and tutorial on it. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. i hope it was okay to share your name and blog name, if not, please let me know. I don't want to do anything wrong. 8>)

Dandelion Acre said...

Great post! Cute little dress bag, I love that its your clothespin bag! My siblings and I at one time, each used the exact same little bible! I love it! ~ Dandelion Acre Farmgal

Dandelion Acre said...

I love the little dress bag!! That chicken on the bike is so adorable!!

Lisa said...

Never a bad day for RED!! Love it!
Happy Easter!!
Hugs, Lisa

Tennis Girl said...

Hi there,
Thanks for the sweet comments on my post. Yes, I have collected on Carole for 30+ years. Nothing Sacred is one of her best movies. The knobs on the cabinets are ceramic or porcelain and the cross and tees are painted red. Thanks again,
Robin

myletterstoemily said...

thank you for treating us to a special rednesday.

i remember those red letter bibles but don't
think we have a single one.

my kids used to make those beaded necklaces,
and i love what each color stands for.

He is risen,
lea

Barbara Jean said...

Great post!!

Thanks for coming by for a visit.
Have a Blessed Easter, full of His peace and Mercy

barbara jean

Marydon Ford said...

Marvelous write ... yes I knew these associations to Christ & Easter. Thank you for refreshing us.

Happy blessed Easter!
Hugs, Marydon