Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Dolly Donations to Haiti

Originally, when I signed up for this project, I had hoped to get two dolls, maybe three at the most, done to send out in time for a shipment being prepared to send to Haiti.


It turns out, I was able to crochet FIVE of them!

Dolly Donations is a mission to provide love and comfort, "one dolly at a time", to the children of Haiti, who are still suffering the aftermath of the catastrophic earthquake that took place on January 12, 2010. It is estimated that as many as 230,000 people were killed, 300,000 injured, and now as many as ONE MILLION are left homeless. Many children were left ophaned... It is estimated to be in the tens of thousands.


Haiti is already known to be the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. The damage now done is massive. Many survivors are still living under tents pitched up with only a blanket, while medical supplies and clean drinking water are both still desperately needed.


As countries all over the world continue to provide aid and support in whatever ways they can, priorities for Haiti's recovery involve establishing a working government, clearing streets, and improving the conditions of sanitation. There is, however, worry of further complication as the rainy season approaches, which can cause flooding and mudslides, thus worsening the existing unsanitary living conditions still there.


The pattern I used for the dolls I am sending comes from HERE. It is a favorite crochet doll pattern which I never grow tired of, and I'm sure will continue to use over and over again!


Here are more pictures of the dolls... Gosh, group pictures are hard to take! Kids will be kids! Just TRY to catch them all smiling, and looking at the camera at the same time, without fidgeting and fooling around! It's not easy!


Well, I'm off to the post office to send my little dollies on their way. I wish I could have done more, but I hope they bring a smile, some comfort, and and a little security to the children who receive them. I pray God blesses these children and their families, as I hope we all continue to send whatever help we can.

~Beansie~

28 comments:

GWENDOLYN said...

You are a angel for doing this... Your dolls are so cute and fun , I am sure they will be a big blessing to some children. Thanks also for the reminder that the people in Haiti still need our support and prayers.
Blessings to you!
Gwen

Simone said...

Well done you on making so many dollies! I am sure they will help to put smiles on the faces of the children who receive them! x

Jenglamgirl said...

What an amazing donation... for some children... to lift their spirits in such difficult times. They are adorable, what a big heart you have. WAY TO GO! jenn

Susie Jefferson said...

What a fabulous job you've done, for such a great cause. These are adorable, and I know they'll be treasured by whoever gets them. You're a star, Tina!

Doris Sturm said...

Wow, Tina, what lovely little dollies you've made. Great job and I'm sure they will be loved :-) You're so sweet!

Have a wonderful day,
Doris

Sonya said...

Aw Tina, you truly are an angel and I must say one of the sweetest friends I have made in 'blogland'. This is an amazing gift for these children and the time and heart you put into it is both touching and inspiring. Great job on the dolls too, by the way!

Shana said...

Tina- you have such a servant's heart. I just love you to pieces. You are a sweet sweet person. I love the dolls. They are super cute and I am sure they will make some kids very happy.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Tina sweetie...
How beautiful this little dollies are. 5 little children are going to be so happy and feel such love when they are united with these dolls. You are a Design Angel sweetie, and what a wonderful job you have done. I wish they would send you a picture of at least 1 child receiving their doll.

Thank you for sharing sweetie. I love this project you took on. Have a beautiful Thursday. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

Nancy said...

Tina, how wonderful of you and aren't they just too cute? I'm just so impressed that you are doing these and that you found such a wonderful charity.

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

The dolls are wonderful. Thank you for sharing the ones you made, the pattern link and the information. I'd love to make them, and will get started asap. You're an inspiration and an angel on earth.

Sarah said...

They are wonderful! Thank you so much, I know they will make their new friends very happy in Haiti! Thanks for the lovely comment also, I will definitely be hosting another drive after this one, so please stay tuned ;)

If you ever feel like sharing your additions to the pattern above (eg. the crochet skirt and row color changes etc to make the shorts i would love to add them and credit you on the site for others out there!)

Thanks so much, I’ll be featuring them on the blog tomorrow,

Take care and Happy Crocheting!

Sarah
Dolly Donations

Pammy Sue said...

Oh my gosh! Those are terrific!

Yarnjeannie said...

Oh Beansie! How sweet! Bless you!

The Garden Bell said...

WOW... Are these not just the cutest. Great eyes. They are really hard to get right and boy, did you do it.

Nancy M. said...

That is so awesome! What a wonderful thing to be able to do to help those children!

Lisa said...

Oh How great! You are just the best! They are truly the sweetest! Well Done You!
Hugs, Lisa

Leann said...

Oh Tina

You love and generousity makes my heart smile. The babies are beautiful as are you my sweet friend!

Enjoy your weekend!
Leann

Together We Save said...

Wow - those dolls are beautiful!!

myletterstoemily said...

you are going to make five little girls
very happy.

what a lovely, generous expression
of love.

blessings,
lea

koralee said...

Your dolls are lovely...what a sweetheart you are...blessings my friend. oxxo

Barbara said...

A gift from the heart as these little dollies are, is truly a gift from heaven. You are a very special woman. Thank you so much for sharing your charity efforts with us.

Hootin' Anni said...

OH my gosh...oh my gosh!!! These are so super Tina!! And they turned out just simply darling. I checked the link out that you provided for the crochet dolls, and I just can't help saying....these ARE MUCH better than the original design...your's that is.

cwa said...

What a sweet thing to do! Your dolls are adorable. Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful project. Blessings to you.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh they are so cute, and how wonderful that you made so many of them for this project! I'm sure they will be cherished by the children who receive them. God bless you. laurie

debbie said...

MY PRECIOUS TINA,
HAPPY PINK SATURDAY AND I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU. WHAT AN AWESOME PROJECT YOU TOOK ON...THEY, THE DOLLS ARE SO PRECIOUS AND HUGGABLE AND I PRAY THEY GO TO 5 LITTLE ORPHANS WHO ARE STILL BEING TREATED AND WILL FEEL THE LOVE YOU PUT IN THEM.
WHAT A BLESSING YOU ARE, ALWAYS THINKING OF OTHERS.
MUCH LOVE AND HUGS TO YOU.
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Doris Sturm said...

Hello again, Tina - just wanted to let you know that I left you an "Easter Basket" on my blog, but you have to hop over to see it :-)
http://crochetingingeorgia.blogspot.com/2010/03/hersheys-better-basket-blog-hop.html

Have a nice evening,
Doris :-)

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Oh these are so sweet and they will be dearly loved. What a generous soul you are.

CC said...

I know that somehow,the little ones receiving your dolls will feel the warmth and love of the wonderful,sweet lady that created them.
Surely,the love will be felt...I think you're wonderful Tina. Maybe the children won't be able to tell you,but I can. You're a sweetheart, and a loving,gentle caring soul..Blessings and hugs from Texas..CC
p.s. They also have to be the cutest dolls I've ever seen..