Friday, January 8, 2010

If I Can Dream

Had Elvis Aaron Presley been still alive today, he would have been 75, so in a small but heartfelt tribute to his memory, I wanted to show a just a few things I've collected. Here you see an old paperback biography, an Elvis valentine tin (Russel Stover, dated 2000), and my Elvis "It's Christmas Time" CD.


But you KNOW that my favorite, most treasured item here, is this 12", poseable, specially numbered, collectible Elvis Doll, made by Hasbro, Inc., in 1993. Elvis Presley's "'68 Special" commemorates his first appearance before a live audience, since a period of seven years. It was an important event, as stakes were high for both Elvis, and the t.v. station NBC. It aired on December 3rd, 1968, at 9:00 p.m. EST. Ratings soared, making it the number-one televised event of the season, and scored NBC its biggest ratings for the entire year. Viewers and critics alike LOVED the show, and it resulted in becoming one of Elvis' most shining moments!

Here is a clip of the song he sang for the finale of this highly celebrated come-back performance. It seems clear to see how tired he is, but one would could never have questioned why! Elvis looked and sounded better than ever, delivering powerfully intense performances full of energy and excitement.



Even under the physical and emotional strain he was feeling by the end of this production, he delivers an awsome performance, as only he could have done it! As we begin this new year, I thought this was a beautiful song to post today!... "If I Can Dream", I hope we all remember to never lose hope, and to keep on dreaming! If I can dream, I wish that all your dreams for 2010 come true!

"But as long as a man has the strength to dream, he can redeem his soul and fly."

~Beansie~

10 comments:

♥Mimi♥ said...

There is NO way I can imagine an Elvis that is 75. I was living in Tennessee when he passed away and the whole state went into mourning like I had never seen before! I loved his music and still play it today.

June said...

I remember going to the movies to see "Blue Hawaii", and so many others, too, but "Blue Hawaii" has always been my favorite! Still love his music.

Ghost said...

A favorite performer of mine also.

Simone said...

I hope your dreams come true too Beansie! x

CC said...

I,like everyone else, simply loved Elvis. He always seemed such a humble,down home guy... maybe thats why he was so loved. Well,that and his voice. It just got better and better. I can't imaging Elvis being 75..he will always be young in my mind..and singing his heart out.
I like all your Elvis collectables.. Stay warm and have a lovely day.
p.s. And may this be the best year ever..and may all your best wishes come true...

Nancy said...

I'm a dreamer! And, I'm definitely dreaming of Florida right now.

LemonyRenee' said...

What a nice post, Beansie . . . amazing to think of Elvis as 75!

Vicki said...

Hi, Tina,
I am having trouble believing he would have been 75. I was in love with Elvis as a teenager (still am!). He was and always will be the king in my book! Thank you for the tribute to him. Have a lovely weekend! Vicki

D said...

Thanks for the "E" post. That is a great song. One of his best, I think. :)

D

Hootin' Anni said...

Wow....I have my speakers on full volume while I'm typing! I heard this very song for the first time in 1968 when he was dressed all in white....and loved it.

Wow...just wow.