Thursday, January 28, 2010

Anthony... Anthony...

Remember the woman hanging out her window from a North End city apartment in Boston, calling her son home for dinner? No?.. Some of you don't? Why, they say the famous run that this young 12 year old boy made, to get home for dinner, should be about as well-known as Rocky's run through the streets of Philadelphia! Don't you think it's about time you DID see it?! It's a classic, so watch right here! It won't take long...



Well, typically Wednesday would be Prince Spaghetti Day, but for Quick Project Thursday purposes, we're going to have to have our spaghetti today! Jana hosts this event each week at Collected Treasures!


For today, I took two 16 ounce empty spaghetti jars from our Wednesday night dinners-past, and recycled them into pretty Valentine's Day jars that I will now use for flower vases.


I chose tissue paper from my gift-wrapping supplies, some Mod Podge, an old, small paint brush, and a little bit of ribbon or fancy trim. Then I grabbed my jars, washed out and dried, of course, and was ready to begin my project! You can add stickers, magazine cutouts, or any printed graphics you'd like as well. I added the cut out hearts from the cards I used for the previously posted ornaments, and some heart stickers from the Valentine's Day stickers I used for the pink Barbie basket I made!


So, to start, I just tore bits and pieces of tissue paper, by hand, not by scissors, and decoupaged them onto the jars. I let one layer dry, then proceeded to overlap, as you would when making a collage, to make a second layer, then a third layer, now adding stickers and my heart cut-outs, till I was happy with the finished look. To finish it off, I chose to add some decorative trim for around the top/neck of the jar. You can from here, use a shellac, or spray sealant of some sort, but since the "big bad move", I have not yet been able to FIND mine! (She says smiling, trying to remember her blessings, and remain a good sport about it all!)

Now, you can use your finished jars for whatever you want. I like mine for vases, but you can use yours for candy jars, or for gift giving, using any of those canning jar gift recipes I often see 'round Blogland! HERE'S a nice place where you can find one! You might maybe use them for candle holders, never unattended, of course!.. Anyways, below, you see some pink carnations in mine, as I did not have any pretty red or pink roses and baby's breath, like I would have preferred; but I just have to make due with what I have on hand for the moment...


A very special thanks to Melani, at Oh Where Does The Time Go?.. for editing my photo so that it could look as pretty as this now! Yes!.. THIS is what it's SUPPOSED to look like! I can see PINK! Just look at that PINK! Thank you, Mel! After all my frustrations with my new camera, I really do appreciate this!

Well, so there you have it! Quick and easy enough, ya think? I don't do a great deal of work with decoupage, but when I do, I really do have fun with it! I am already working on another quick decoupage project, but I will be posting that another day. (next Barbie Wednesday, but Shhhhh... Don't tell anyone yet!)

By the way, I hate saying this, but did you know that it's been 40 years since Anthony made his famous run for spaghetti dinner?! Read this very interesting article about it HERE!

I hope you enjoyed your visit here today! Please be sure to visit with Jana and the others who have posted their quick projects for the day!

24 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Tina...
I love this project. I used to save all the baby food jars and mayo jars. I painted on them and then sealed them with clear nail polish. Those were days.

I love these as a vase. You could also paint the lid, add a cupid or something sweet, fill it with candies and give it instead of a box of chocolates. The boxes are more apt to get tossed out. The jars get saved and recycled for so many things.

Thanks for sharing sweetie. You did a beautiful job. I love them both. So pretty and Valentine (ish). Says Love all over.

Have a beautiful day sweetie. Country hugs...Love, Sherry

Mel said...

Hi Beansie! Cute article... no, I don't remember Anthony - but then when I read that commercial is 40 years old, I realized that the reason I don't remember it is I'm only 37... Ha! Ha!!

I brightened up one of the photos you have posted on your blog with my photo editing software - I'd like to email it to you so you can see it, and if you'd like me to "fix" some of your pictures for you until you get your camera figured out, I'd be happy to! If you could email me your address, I can forward the picture I edited and you can decide from there what you'd like to do.

Thanks for the neat idea - I don't decoupage, but I do like to recycle so I may have to start! The jars turned out super-cool! I could easily see these working for the dry cookie mix gifts, etc. that you mentioned. I also saw an article at my neighbor's house about the same type of idea but using ingredients for soup! What a warming idea for those of us that really shouldn't be eating all those cookies!! LOL

Hope your day is FANTASTIC!!

Close to home said...

I like the idea of modge podging them. Gives a most likely throw out into a great holiday accent.

Collected Treasures said...

Hi Beansie....adorable idea....wonderful full of candies, buttons, ANYTHING.....thanks for participatig....love having you! oxjana

Molly said...

I love decopaging ....everything! My 2 girls and I have Mod Podge whatever stood still long enough for us to catch. Your jars are very pretty and what a great job you did on them. I agree on the Valentines gift use, I bet there are a gazillion candy boxes that get through away each year. Why doesn't everyone recycle, duh????

Shana said...

I swear woman! You are so crafty it blows my mind. I love those. Maybe I need to find some jars and try it myself.

Beansieleigh said...

To Mel.. My email address can be found on my right side bar, but I have left you my email address via comment on your blog as well. I would LOVE a better photo, if you could edit one for me! Thank you so much! I will be calling the camera company again soon.. Either today or tomorrow to see what they'll do for me.

Ghost said...

I am old enough to remember that commercial.

Lynn said...

Tina! I love your Valentine jars! There are so many things you can do with them ! You can put a candle in them...Fill them with pink and red candies... and the vase idea!

I have to stop myself from saving too many things because I'm afraid I'll end up on Hoarders!

I got a new can opener and it opens cans so neatly that now I find it hard to throw them away! I always think. "Oh I could decoupage this and it would make a nice little..."

myletterstoemily said...

darling valentine jars....fabulous idea!

i'm not the greatest cook....my kids used to hide when i called out,
"time for dinner!"

Melody said...

Hi Tina! Love the jars. I remember that commercial..LoL...we will not say how long ago it first aired tho.

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I LOVE reusing glass jars. Beautiful job on yours! What fun to use pretty valentine's tissue.
Rebecca of the R&W Gals

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I love decoupage!!! So old-fashioned - it's time has come again I think! Love that idea of reusing the spaghetti jars.

Mel said...

Well I managed to get an email fired off to you with an edited photo attached. I'm sorry I missed your email the first THREE TIMES I looked at your blog - I don't know if somebody was holding their hands over my eyes and saying "guess who" right then or if I'm just blind, but I see it plain as day now!! LOL I also wanted to comment about the can opener that does such a nice job - I have the same problem! I do keep a few cans occasionally, usually to drain hamburger and/or bacon grease into so I can let it harden and throw it in the garbage... there are also lots of cute crochet patterns out there for turning soup cans and such into pencil holders, vases, pretty much anything you can think of! Not only that, and using the decoupage idea, but why not those cute foam shapes you can get in ultra-bright neon colors for a teen's room? Or those little tiles? The list of things you can decorate with is almost as long as the list of things you can decorate!! :)

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Such a cute post, and the vase/jar idea is so cute. Thanks for giving directions! laurie

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

OOOPS! Forgot, I wanted to say thank you so much for posting my party button. laurie

Leann said...

Good Morning and Happy Friday

I love how you re-purposed the jars, although I don't remember that commercial - my mum could have her beat:)

Enjoy your weekend!
Leann

Vicki said...

Hi, Tina,
You have been coming up with some wonderful creative creations for Valentine's Day. These jars could serve so many different purposes, too. Thank you for dropping by to help me celebrate my birthday at Bunny Cottage. Have a terrific weekend, my friend! Vicki

Marydon Ford said...

G'morn, B ~ What a DARLING idea ... & so festively creative. We did baby food jars years ago for fun decorative items in the house.

You are so clever!

TYSM for your sweet notes, they mean a lot to me.

Have a beautiful weekend.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Nancy said...

How sweet! I have had this open for two days and don't think I left a comment yet. I am a saver of jars, all types! Yes, I think I do remember that commercial. Great use of a sauce jar!

Susie Jefferson said...

What a fun post - first time I've seen it (obviously, being in the UK). Did you see the Blogology one at the very bottom of my Blogology page? Maureen Lipman at her finest. I just love these old adverts!

Happy Pink Saturday even if you aren't participating this week. And we had spaghetti yesterday (with sour cream on top - which Himself loves. I keep telling him it's only for curry or Mexican-style cookery, but does he listen?)

debbie said...

DEAR TINA,
THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY TO SEE ME.
YOUR JAR IS SO VERY PRETTY...AND THE EDITED PICTURE IS GORGEOUS.
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND.....YES WE HAD A WEEK OF SPRING LIKE TEMPS AND THURSDAY NIGHT THE SNOW AND ICE BEGAN.....WE ENDED UP WITH 9 INCHES.
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Julie said...

Love all your pink...
Happy Pink Chocolate Kisses
xoxo
Julie

koralee said...

Great idea...I have done this before with my students. The results are always amazing. Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment the other day on my china post. Just brought another piece home last night. It is turning into a major problem. xo