Friday, December 18, 2009

Pics to See, and a Recipe!

O.k. now, first I want to thank everybody for welcoming me back! I loved hearing from all of you, so much more than you know! Thank you! I'm definitely feeling that Christmas spirit!... and honestly, I'm trying my best to KEEP that spirit as I attempt to learn how to use my new camera! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ho! Ho! Ho!


I really do love it, but I'm afraid it took me some time.. TWO DAYS in fact, to LOCATE an owner's manual, ON LINE!.. Now, please tell me.. Is my blonde showing, or is it my age? Why does my NEW camera not come with INSTRUCTIONS?!

Having finally found them, it will STILL take me some time to read, understand, use, AND remember all the features and capabilities that come with my camera. I must say, I certainly did appreciate the info they gave me for maintenance of my camera!.. and I quote, "The digital camera is a delicate device. Please handle your camera with care to avoid damaging it." Period. That was it. Well now! I feel so much better knowing THAT! My camera should last another ten YEARS now!.. Thank Heaven I didn't skip over THAT vital dose of information!.. I mean, my gosh, when I THINK of what COULD have HAPPENED!.. Why, I just "SHUTTER" to think!!


(Sigh) So, anyways.. Do you like this photo?.. No, I didn't take THIS picture.. It just looks like these little guys have a far better understanding of their camera, than I do right now!.. I'm afraid my first set of test shots were not at all worthy of sharing! ALL of them were blurry! I am trying to feel out when to use the flash or not, and when to zoom in or out or not. The lighting is different in this house than it was at the old place. I also need to set up and learn to use whatever editing program I'm going to use too, so all in good time I guess.

My second set of photos look a little better, so I thought I'd share them today, along with a little peek at a few of the Christmas decorations in my kitchen, and then a recipe!

Well, most of you may know I love and collect anything "Peanuts". I love setting up my growing collection of Peanuts Christmas decorations every year! It just seemed right, at this time when I'm spending so much time in my kitchen, baking up batches of homemade cookies, to share a few pictures of some of my favorites. First up is my Peanuts Christmas Tree! It is the smallest of the three trees I have happily still managed to display in my new home! It stands only about 30" tall.. Actually, 33" with Snoopy placed up at the top! I love it! The lights are very pretty, but didn't show up well at all in this snapshot. (Oh.. and look a little closer. I still need to learn how to set the DATE! ha! ha!)


The following two photos are of the Peanuts stockings I made.. oh at least 4 or 5 years ago, I guess. Here you see them hanging on my kitchen hutch!




See my little rooster peeking from behind my stocking?! Does anyone remember him from when Barb, at Bella Vista, hosted the big "Show Us Your Roosters Party"?

Well, next up is a small sample of a batch of cookies I made yesterday! I never realized how many different recipes are out there for "Santa's Whiskers", but I nearly fell asleep on my computer last night, trying to look them all up! I gave up after a while, and just figured I'll show you how I did mine this year.


One thing's for sure.. Dear Son often likes to help, and he often likes to lick the bowl, but he doesn't reach for a cookie as quickly as I do, once they are baked and stored in their proper place! After making these, he ate at least 2 or 3, so that's about the highest form of flattery I can ask of him! I was so happy he liked them!.. and ooooooh, the kitchen smelled so-ooooo good!

If you would like to try MY recipe for how to make them, here it is...

Santa's Whiskers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the following ingredients..

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup crisco
1 egg
3/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup flaked coconut (and some extra to roll and chill the dough)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/3 cup chopped and drained maraschino cherries, stems removed
Anywhere from 15 to 25 maraschino cherries, cut into desired sized pieces (halves or quarters) to place at cookie centers.
Vanilla frosting, either homemade or store-bought will do.

Once dough is mixed, sprinkle wax paper with coconut, and roll dough over the coconut, forming a log. Wrap wax paper closed, then refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours.

Take log out of refrigerator, remove wax paper. Slice and bake on lightly greased cookie sheets for approximately 10 minutes, being careful not to let cookies get too browned. Remove from sheets to cooling racks. When cooled, frost your cookies. I didn't, but you could, if you like, sprinkle the frosting with more coconut. Then, however you sliced the remaining cherries (either in halves, or in quarters), promptly place a cherry in the center. From here, I like to chill these to set, in my refrigerator, then I proceed to store them in my freezer for Christmas. Enjoy, and Happy Holidays! ~Beansie



27 comments:

CC said...

Ohhhh Tina, I'm so happy,happy,happy you're back home with us. You are so loved and I have missed you so much. Welcome home girl..don't you dare leave us again. I'm happy you're getting settled in..and a belated Happy Birthday to you from me..and from "the kids".
They still sit at my desk,each day at the monitor waiting for you to come home,and now they're happy dancing that their bestest friend is home again. Yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!
I'll drop back to visit soon..again, welcome home again. You're with friends here..we love you and have missed you..

CC said...

p.s. Thank you for the cookie recipe. I have to try it..

Beverooni said...

Everything is lover-ly! I can almost smell those yummy cookies. I'm glad you're back. We've really missed you.

Have a Merry Merry!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Ohhh Good Morning Sweetie...
I am so happy to be able to send you messages again. I have so missed you.

Now you know I love Peanuts too, so I am lovin this tree. It is so festive, and just the right size for the kitchen area. I love it. Thank you for sharing. Especially CB and his tree. How cute is that? Nothing better than Snoopy and his dog house. I love it.

I love your cookies. Don't they look delish? I'll have just one if you don't mind. Yummy for the tummmy. Thanks for sharing.

Stop by soon. I love it when you do.

Country hugs...Sherry

Fairy Footprints said...

Tina,

I wanted to pop by and say I am so happy you are back, you were missed. I have some things going on right now, and am not able to blog for a couple of weeks, we will definately visit soon. IT's great to have you back.

Blessings
Heidi

Simone said...

I love the Peanuts tree and Santa's Whiskers too!!!x

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

That is just the CUTEST name for cookies I have ever heard! Thank'ee for sharing that recipe!

MiniMadWoman said...

Tina, let me start by saying 'WELCOME BACK' . . . you were missed! I was just thinking about you the day before you posted your first post back . . . karma! LOL!

Oh my goodness! Those 'Hyacinth' paper dolls are a hoot! I've printed some off and will be putting them together tonight . . . watch for a post on them! Poor Richard! They didn't provide any clothes for him! No wonder he's got that look on his face! LOL! I love them and they'll provide hours of mindless entertainment! LOL!! Thanks so much for thinking of me!

I love your Snoopy tree, it's wonderful and those cookies look delicious . . . pass one over would you!

Take care dear and again, it's so nice to see you back!

Hugs and 'Hyacinth' bouquets,
Teresa

Vicki said...

Hi, Tina,
I am glad your move is over, and you can be back with us once again!! I love your Peanuts tree and decorations. I just watched " A Charlie Brown Christmas" the other night on tv. It is one of my all time favorites. Those are the cutest cookies. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Merry Christmas to you and your family and the happiest of New Years, too. Vicki

Shana said...

i am so thrilled youa re posting again. I missed your blog and your sweet comments and your sense of humor so much! I know you have been going through a lot and working nonstop with all of the moving. I hope you figure your camera out too. Man i love digital cameras. Now if I could just afford a big digital camera...lol. Love the recipe. Thanks for stopping by all the time and I am glad you are back.

Sonya said...

Oh Tina, I'm sorry I had to laugh at you telling your story about your new camera! The reason it was so funny to me is that I had the EXACT, I mean EXACT same problem a few months ago when I got mine. I'm even wondering if we have the same camera. Mine also didn't come with instructions, I had to search for 2 hours online before I found them. And then, like you, the majority of my pics came out blurry. But funny some were ok. Took me forever to finally figure out there's a button on the side to move up and down depending if you are close up or far away. Anyway........I felt sorry for you, but couldn't help but laugh as I remembered going thru the same thing not that long ago.
I'm so happy you visited my blog and led me to yours. Your Christmas decorations are just wonderful, and like the others, I could almost smell those cookies, and between that and all the snow gently falling on your blog, I got the warm fuzzies just reading it! Your blog is lovely and I'll be a regular here for sure!
Happy Holidays!
~Sonya

Keri said...

I think I smell some yummy cookies baking! How cute those are, and thanks so much for the recipe.

Susie Jefferson said...

Fabulous to see you back on form! The penguins are priceless. I love the name of the cookie recipe - Santa's Whiskers - just the name is enough to make me smile.

Happy Pink Saturday, Tina.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Welcome back! I am glad you are in touch again. Hope your holidays are wonderful! Enjoy the season! Twyla

Nancy @ La Chambre Rose said...

What a cute recipe! I'm freezing the dough this year...all done with that and ready to start baking. Hope they turn out as well as yours.

Son home now, still sleeping, so I'm trying to catch up on visits. No snow here from the storm...yet!

Lynn said...

Hooray, Beansie Baby!
I am soooo happy that you are back. I hope you are beginning to feel at home in your new place, but by the look of things, I think you are!!
I wish you lived next door to me! When I was still teaching school, everyone knew about my baking problem and how I always had to depend upon the kindness of strangers, so they brought me stuff! Now, out here in the country, well, let's just say "Hello Bakery!"
Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

Lisa said...

Glad you and your camera are getting acquainted! Your tree is very cute! I too could not get a good pic of my tree lighted. How odd your camera did not have instructions. I am glad you are having fun with your baking! I am not a baker. I can cook fine but baking is not my thing!
Merry Christmas!
Hugs, Lisa

Hootin' Anni said...

I know just what you mean about the cameras these days...there is no instruction manual....you have to go online to print it out!! Yet, the cost of cameras being so high....ummmm. Come on....can't you print off owner's manuals? The economy sucks. LOLOLOL

I've had mine about two months now...well, more than two I think, and I'm still learning.

Have fun with it.
Just wanted you to know that I answered the question you asked me last Thursday about the lizard...from my blog and your comment question. It's posted today.

Have a super Monday.

Marydon Ford said...

Tina ~ Your tree is wonderful!

Anything technical is more apt to be broken in frustration rather than because of mechanical failure ... chuckle! Inept, you bet I am with all those fangled buttons & stuff!

Merry Christmas ~
TTFN ~Marydon

Luna said...

Welcome Back .....! I was missing you .Happy Holidays Sweetheart!!! I knew something was goig on.Good that you already finish.I'm so happy to see you back .Did you see the granny saquares ? I guess they are cute for an afghan,I'm not sure what I would make yet.Thanks for always passing by and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!! Love you all !!!

Love , Hugs ,

Luna

Charli and me said...

Good morning Tina. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. they look delicious and I just love the name :>) I wanted to pop bu to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Many blessing to you this holiday season and always ♥

Micki said...

I love the stockings and thanks for the recipe! Merry Christmas!
Micki

Fairy Footprints said...

Blessings to you and your family

Have a wonderful Holiday.

Merry Christmas

?´¨)¸.+´¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´??¸.+´
¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´? Heidi ?)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thank you for your kind visit today! I loved having you as a guest at my table. Funny, as it ends up, we're having another unexpected guest today, and my table has ended up looking NOTHING like I was planning when I set this table. Wishing you a happy late Birthday -- and a most Merry Peanuts Kind of Christmas! -- I've got to get my DVD out today and see that -- missed it this year!

Oliva said...

I love Peanuts!!! You have given me the inspiration to start a Peanuts Xmas tree!!! I will definitely make Santa's Whiskers. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

CC said...

I just had to drop by tonight and wish you a Merry Christmas. I hope it's filled with all things wonderful...and I hope Santa fills your stocking to overflowing.
Merry Christmas..

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweetie...
I just had to pop over and say hi this morning. I am so glad you had a Christmas and made your turkey and all. I know it has been an adjustment for you, but one day at a time you will make it through. We are all here for you, and we have missed you so much. You will never know the many times that your beautiful little face showing up on my blog, pulled me up when I was feeling down. I have so enjoyed getting to know you, and having you as a friend. What a joy you have been in 2009. I can't wait to see what 2010 brings for us.

You asked about my shower curtain. The snowman curtain and the snowman hooks came together in a set that I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I went in there to buy a gift certificate for a friend that was getting married, and when I walked in and saw it hanging there, oh no way was I leaving without it, and it was blue to boot. I love blue in my bathroom for some reason. I even put a little Christmas tree with blue balls on the back of the stool, and a bowl with blue balls in it on the counter. I believe that everything needs a little lift at the holiday. The grandkids love to come and see what I have done every year. I'll have to pop back in there and see if they reduced them after Christmas for their sales. The set was $19.99, and who knows it might be half price now.

Hope your day is a bright one sweetie. Oh and before I leave, thanks for the cookie. I loved the Santa's whisker cookie, just the right taste. Yummy for the tummy.

Country hugs and so much love...Sherry