Friday, July 31, 2009

I Think This Raises A Pink Flag!

Looks like it's that time again!.. Pink Saturday! Special thanks to Beverly, who hosts this event each and every week! Be sure to visit her at How Sweet the Sound, to see a listing of all the participants today, and all the pink goodies they have to share!

What I have to show today, is actually inspired from Debbie's Pink Saturday post on July 24th, titled "Pink Flag Saturday", at Ribbonwood Cottage! Here she shared a tutorial on how to make a very pretty little pink flag, so I decided to give it a try! Having finished sewing it, I then found myself having way too much fun playing with everything from buttons and ribbons, to rickrack and embroidery flosses! The width of my flag looks a little longer than Debbie made hers; but here you can see how I made my first one in various shades of PINK!


Once I finished it, I decided I wanted to hang it under a knickknack shelf in my living room, so from there I had to decide how. I painted a dowel rod and two wooden beads, in PINK of course, then with grosgrain ribbon tabs, you can now see how that worked nicely enough for my purposes! By the way, I don't own a saw, so I used an old steak knife to cut the wooden dowel to the length I wanted. I would not advise this to anyone, and I'm happy to report that all ten of my fingers are still present and accounted for!


Well, could I stop there? Does that sound like me?! Good Gracious! Of course not! I had so much fun with the first one, I HAD to make a second flag! This time I made one in blues, if you'll pardon my sneaking another color in today! I made this one to hang in my kitchen! I'm still deciding on any embellishments and finishing touches, if any.. But I'm happy with it already!


Now I'm thinking I could make these for Christmas gifts, or I maybe I could make them into placemats or throw pillows! If you think you'd like to try to make a flag.. or two.. or three!.. then make sure you stop over to Ribbonwood Cottage for this and other beautiful sewing and decorating ideas that Debbie has to share!.. Oh!.. and thank you Debbie! I really did have fun with this!

In the meantime, Happy Pink Saturday to everybody today! Thank you for stopping by, and hope you're enjoying a wonderful weekend!

33 comments:

Shana said...

Those are so cute!! I love them!

Yarnjeannie said...

Beautiful flags, Beasie! I wish I could sew!

Elena said...

Very creative - it's a lovely flag and it brightens up the wall.
I like the line on your blue flag too.

Have a great pink week.

ciao for now,
Elena :)

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

Yes, I remember visiting her last Pink Saturday (I think) and I saw the flags. oh Beansie I like what you did. And the added text too - especially the added text :-)

Li

(no pink post for me today. I just visiting :-) )

Beverooni said...

Oh Beansie, those are lovely!! I just might have to make some of these for gifts as well. I'm thinking maybe a long scarf for the dining room table in Christmas colors. Thanks for the great idea.

Florida Sue said...

I am amazed at the way you so easily make all these lovely things. I just don't have that gift. Have a wonderful weekend and watch out for dull steak knives!

XOSue

Claudia said...

Hey there, Beansie - Happy Pink Saturday! Your flags are wonderful ~ you did such a wonderful job on them. Congratulations!

Jennifer Froh said...

So pretty! Happy PInk Saturday!

Dawn said...

Cute flags. Love they way you added to them. Debbie has lots of great tutorials!
Dawn

Faith said...

U R so creative...dang, I wish you were my
neighbor.....hope you are feeling better....

♥Itajeff♥ @Something To Share said...

Hi Beansie..
Those flags are wonderful
Happy PS and have a great weekend
♥Ita

Keri said...

Love your flags, Beansie! What energy you possess! :) Oh, and thanks for dropping by "Greyt Balls" to leave a message for Hunter. She is thrilled to pieces to know that people have really taken the time to comment on her crochet. I think she's planning another "creation" this weekend! :) Have a beautiful Saturday!

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

Oh my gosh girl! This turned out sooooo darn cute. I can't stand it. Who would have thought this would turn out so amazing. I love it. I love seeing how other people visualize things and make it the way they see it. I have to say this is absolutely adorable! Can I post a picture and send people your way? I would love to do it on Monday or Tuesday, if it is ok with you!
Blessings,
Debbie

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Ooh Beansie! I love the blue one, the blue one. I know it's Pink Saturday but that blue one is OUTSTANDING. I love it. Thanks for sharing. You did a wonderful job on both of them. Have a wonderful day honey, and don't forget to stop by today. I love to see your little smiling face. Country Hugs honey, Sherry

Bea said...

What lovely work. They look great! Happy PS!

Jorgelina said...

Hi!!
Very creative,beautiful flags.
Happy pink saturday!!

Vicki said...

Beansie,
Your flags are so cute!!I chuckled about you using a steak knife to cut the dowel rod. Sounds like something I would do!! Thank you for visiting my blog "Bunny Cottage" and posting a comment. Have a terrific weekend! Vicki

Tami said...

That is just too cute!
Have a perfect Pink Saturday & a great week too!
xo Tami

♥Mimi♥ said...

Cold, dark, raining all week. Summer is not going to make it to northern Michigan this year. We haven't seen many days over 70! WOWZA! So, with that in mind, Pink Saturday is especially important for me. I sit back and cruise around the blogs filling myself to the brim with my favorite color.

♥Thanks so much for adding a bit of sunshine to my day♥

someplace in thyme said...

That my friend is great. I love the colors, pat yourself on the back for a job not only well done, but ever so cute. I love it, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Regina said...

How lovely! Have a great week ahead.

Leann said...

The flags are "sew" sweet. And I agree, they would make great Christmas presents.

Thanks for stopping by The Old Parsonage last week for PS, I just got back from vacation and am now making my return visits.

Enjoy!

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

Happy PS, Beansie! The pink and blue flags are so adorable! How clever you are! They do make great presents! I think handmade gifts are the best because they are a labor of love.

Have a lovely weekend!

Tina

Riet said...

THose are really nice. Good job. Love the idea too. Happy week.

Jenny S said...

Those would make wonderful Christmas gifts. You could do them in red and green with Christmas sayings for the holidays!! Very cool and thank you for the comments about 1st day of school! Kyle had a blast!

LV said...

What a wonderful job you did on the flags. You are so creative. I do not sew, so I guess I will just have to enjoy looking at yours. Your are right, they would make great Christmas gifts. Loved your post. I am glas you took time out and dropped by my place.

Sares said...

It looks like a fun project. The flags turned out very cute. Hope you are having a weekend full of pink!

SmilingSally said...

How pretty! Happy Pink Saturday. Now the blue one you should show on BLUE MONDAY. Just come to my blog and read the instructions. I put it up at midnight tonight!

She'sSewPretty said...

Tina,
Your flags turned out so cute. I think they would make really cute place mats too. Have a wonderful week!

Susie Jefferson said...

Hi Tina

Sorry to be so late... only just getting around to TRYING to do my Pink Saturday visiting. I've been beyond busy. Thanks so much for your birthday wishes!

I foolishly said I'd do the giveaway before I thought about the following up on PS visiting when I was teaching Thursday, Friday and Sunday (and tomorrow) so I've had very little time. But I wasn't going to let anyone down re the giveaway announcement. I should have saved it for this week, but of course my birthday's long gone now!

Anyhow, thanks so much for the good wishes - your little something should be arriving in your mailbox anytime now... the pic is genuine (my husband's friend was an electrician and Best Boy on the set). Hope you like it!

Susie Jefferson said...

Oh, and I forgot to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your flags - they turned out wonderful!

Gracie said...

Hello
Thank you for your visit, and your congrats. on my new grandson...
I really like your Flags, I couls incorperate this great idea to our Candian flag,I will go over to Ribbon Wood,blog.
HPS
Gracie

pinkkandy said...

Thank you for the nice message..did you make the flags?
God Bless you...kandy