Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"The House Smells Good Mom!"

Another warm day in this heatwave we're experiencing here! I can't complain though. We're hitting high 80's, but in my house, this is nothing a small running fan won't take care of! In fact, while the temps were not up too high just yet, I even baked some zucchini bread this morning! Dear Son woke up telling me, "The house smells good, Mom!" I love when the kids say that! One friend gave me some fresh zucchini from his garden, just before the weekend; then another gave me some more from hers, just a couple of days ago! Well, we ALL love zucchini bread here! I made two batches, ending up with 3 full sized loaves.. and then 8 mini loaves, which I'll wrap up with cards and bows for one friend who is in the hospital right now for surgery, and then for another friend who WILL soon be in for surgery as well. Having had a taste of hospital food myself, I think they'll probably like these! Meanwhile, I've STILL got more zucchini. I have to decide whether to serve them up for dinner, or if I should just make MORE BREAD!! I could shred ahead, put it in baggies, and freeze it, if I want! The one friend says she thinks she'll have even MORE zucchini for me soon! I do HOPE so!


It's hard to believe July is coming to an end! This is my favorite time of year, and I hate to see it already winding down! The store shelves are filling up with school supplies and Halloween decorations! Oh, say it isn't so! Not YET! I feel like I just packed those darn hats, mittens, and Eskimo clothes AWAY! It's not fair! It's too soon to be thinking about pulling all THAT stuff back out again! (sigh) I just won't think about that right now. I'm savoring every bit of Summer we have left! Dear Son had a very nice birthday! The kids and I have been out walking the dog together, every chance we get. We went swimming, and out for ice cream over the past weekend! We're still thinking about a camping trip soon.. a trip to the lake maybe!.. So much we still want to do!

I have been doing a little bit of everything lately with my crafts! I have been working on some granny squares for one of my afghans, and I feeling happy with how that's coming along! I am also working on a little project with Dear Daughter, which I'm hoping to show here soon, when it's done! It was simple really, but getting just the right materials can be a little pricy, so we're shopping around a little bit, in hopes of finding the best deal(s) we can... Anyways, I've also got my sewing machine back out, and I'm doing a couple of projects with that. I'm even doing some embroidery! I can't remember how long it's been since I've done THAT!

I was surprised to get a package in the mail a couple of weeks ago, and am only sorry it's taken me this long to post it. Terri, the moderator of ATCT, and a friend since my first joining the group, sent me this drawstring purse. She really likes crocheting with threads, doilies being her favorite if I remember correctly. She makes beautiful doilies, and I know this because she made me one in an exchange once, and I LOVE it! Here, on this purse, she worked using multiple threads in red, white, and blue. My photo does NOT do it justice. Terri's work is beautiful, and so is this purse! Check out Terri's Kaleidesigns website for crochet pattern books, etc. HERE. Terri recently shared a new banana bread recipe, and I'm going to try that one real soon! It sounds delicious, and I'll let you know how it comes out as soon as I do!

Well, I'm going to go get myself a cup of coffee, and some zucchini bread! Maybe I'll pop a movie in the player... And probably I'll fall asleep half-way-through! ..But before I go, I'll leave you with a little something I read in an email I got this evening!..

Live your life in such a way that,
when your feet hit the floor in the morning,
Satan shudders and says...
"Oh no! She's awake!"

16 comments:

Beverooni said...

I'll be right over for a taste of that bread. It looks yummy to the tummy!

Jennifer said...

I love zucchini bread and I love banana too! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I think that is a great gift idea. You know it would be so cool to do that with a couples engagement photo too for a great wedding present. Thanks for the great idea! I love bloggy sharing of ideas! It just gives way to more ideas!

Have A Great Day!!
Jennifer

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Beansie. I would like a slice of bread and a cup of tea. Can I come and join you? I would love the temps, as it just keeps getting hotter and hotter here. I would trade for a rainy cooler day. Thanks for sharing with us today. Country Hugs honey, Sherry

Simone said...

I really fancy some of that bread right now. It looks delicious! I love the saying at the end of your post too! x

Yarnjeannie said...

Mmmmmmmm - zucchini bread...

Looks yummy! My friend gave me two zucchinis, but I was thinking of making a casserole with them.

Love your post~

Keri said...

I've always kind of wondered if people are in their right minds when they say they love summer, but then I have to stop and remember that not everyone lives in Oklahoma, where the summers are scorching AND muggy, to boot! We just got over a 10-day spell of 100+ temp days, and with the humidity, the heat index was nearing 120! The whole state was under a dangerous heat warning. So, as I've aged and gotten more intolerant of the heat, it thrills me tremendously to think of the cool, crisp days of fall that are right around the corner. Fall is my very favorite time of the year, and that is when I could use some of your zucchini because my oven will be running overtime with all the baking. :)

Hey, if you have time, please take a moment to stop by my site, Greyt Balls of Yarn, and leave a little comment for my daughter, Hunter. I have one of her crochet projects posted and am hoping some of you wonderful crafters will lend her some encouragement.

Have a great evening!

Crochetoholic said...

yummmy I can smell the bread all the way over here...I'll take 2 please...lol

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

I've never had a zucchini bread before - well if the kids say it smells good than I trust that. They sure look like it :-) The mini loaves are so cute. :-)

Li

June said...

My son has "fixed" the problem, so the computer will let me visit your blog again! Things got so bad with this vista that it wouldn't let me into my own blog! I love that last quote of yours! Beautiful bread!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Thanks Beansie for stopping by this morning. I always love to see your smiling little face. I love sunglasses, purses, shoes, jewelry, hats, and lipsticks and colognes. I am a mess too. I think us girls are just like that you know? Born to shop that's me.
Take care my friend. So thrilled you loved my post. I had fun putting this one together. Country Hugs and Love, Sherry

Mary said...

Hi Beansie! Thanks for visiting my blog today, and for leaving such a sweet comment! I'm with you on summer. I love the warm weather, and all the fun things you can do. I don't know why it's going by so fast, but it is. So here's to next summer - hope to see you then!

Tammy518 said...

Thanks for visiting me today for Tablescape Thursday! You should just jump right on in with a tablescape yourself.

Your zucchini cakes look yummo!

Liz said...

Your bread looks yumo! I hear ya about the summer coming to an end.... I can't believe it.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving sweet comments. Come on by any old time! :)

~Liz

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Zucchini bread looks great, I love it! Keep making it and store it in the freezer! They make good gifts too.

Katherine

Maria Killam said...

You are baking in this heat! good on you, I would like a loaf!!

Chari said...

Hello...

Just read the sweet note that you left on my Rose Faerie tablescape...thank you so much for coming by and leaving such a sweet note! I sure do appreciate that!

Mmmmm...yummy! Zuchinni bread sounds delicious...I love it! It's been so long since I've had any...I'm remembering the smell of it baking! Ohhhh yes!!! I love the pretty crocheted bag that your friend made for you...it's darling!

Warmest wishes,
Chari