Friday, July 3, 2009

Get your Red, White, and Blue On!

Wow! I have been absolutely super-charged the last couple of days! I know it's because of the 4th! I LOVE the holidays! I love decorating and preparing for them almost as much as the big day itself! So, between my Potter-projects, my holiday crafting, a little bit of baking, and then just the everyday responsibilities in a day's time, I feel like I have to give myself at least a little pat on the back for everything I'm getting done! Well, YOU know! That sense of accomplishment and pride always feels pretty good! Often for many of us, there's even that big sigh of relief that we got it done on TIME! For the most part, though, I just had FUN doing a few of the things that I want to show here today!

First up is my crocheted Fourth of July windsock! I happened to wander in at Debb's, at her PBDesigns Reading and Crochet Blog, and she had photos and a pattern for a really CUTE windsock that she had designed and made herself! You'll see it in her June 30th post! I was just at that time thinking I'd like to make a 4th of July one in plastic canvas, but this seemed cuter, and I suspected it would probably last longer. I've made beautiful items in plastic canvas, but I'm just more cautious as to just how long they will hold up. I have found, after all the work, some plastic canvas projects, depending which ones and their purpose of course.. that some just don't hold up against the test of time or durability. Anyways, I just thought Debb's was really sweet, and I was MUCH more inspired to make one like hers! For mine, I used a full sized oatmeal container.

I was a little worried about how the cardboard would hold up in damp weather though, so I wrapped mine in packaging tape, before I began crocheting, and hopefully that helps. If not, it would not be difficult to simply replace the container. Another obvious option would be just to bring it IN, if it's raining SO hard that I worry about the damage it might cause; but I'm hanging mine on the front porch, so it's partially protected, and I think that will be enough to keep it looking nice!

As I got going with this project, I really couldn't wait to go wild with the creative embellishments I could fly with on this; but then I knew that I'd have to contain my enthusiasm a bit, due to the multi-colored stripes I was already working with. Still, I love to get out my buttons and beads, ribbons, laces, and felts, and I really had fun playing around with all of that! I even got through all the hot-gluing without burning myself even ONCE! Honestly, I can't wait to make another one!.. So thanks to Debb for sharing her idea and pattern!

Next.. Get your red, white, and blue on! I want to show you a necklace I made to go with it, once again done by recycling an old eyeglass lense! It seems to me that someone asked to see more of this type of project, so here it is! I tend to be a little rough on my eyeglasses. I HATE wearing them, so they are on my face, and off my face, and back on my face all day long. In fact there are several pairs, strategically placed all over the house, so that I can grab them, ONLY IF I HAVE TO of course, to read or see anything up close. From there, I have to admit, they most likely get tossed recklessly in the spot where I just used them, rather than in a protective case of some kind. In fact, the only place I bother using an eyeglass case is in my purse! Now THERE'S a danger zone, if I ever saw one! But, back to my point.. As much as I'd like them to, I don't exactly expect these inexpensive eyeglass frames to hold up forever. In time, they wear out, or get dropped, or sat on, or stepped on. When they can no longer serve their purpose, I always save the lenses! The funny thing, with this particular necklace, is the picture I mod-podged to the lense. I think, if I remember right, it is cut from the paper wrapping that flour or sugar comes in, whichever it was! I saw it, and thought, "I can make something with that!" I cut it out, and hung it on the refrigerator with a magnet, till it finally dawned on me what I'd like to use it for! It's not a glamorous look, but I think it's fun for a casual, beer-and-hamburgers type of day!

I am shaking my head now at the thought of what feels like a sick obsession, the way I save things the way I do! Before ANYTHING gets thrown out, I'm always thinking, "Can I make something with this?" But, as long as I can keep it all look organized and neatly in it's place, then I'm glad to recycle what I can into something fun and new! If it starts spilling and overflowing from drawers and closets, or it's changing colors and growing fur, then I know I've gone too far, and it's time to spring clean!.. Nope! You can't save everything Hasselhoff!

Finally, finally, finally, FINALLY, I got a cool enough day, and managed to find the time to do some baking! I heard about this sugar cookie recipe, at Charlotte's blog, Someplace In Thyme, and when it says it's "the best", then I just had to try it! You can find this recipe in her January 17th post. I could tell how nice the dough just LOOKED as I was mixing it, and later rolling it! No doubt, though, taste was going to be the most important factor in determining if this recipe was a keeper or not, because frankly, I was pretty happy with my OWN favorite sugar cookie recipe! The family has made its decision, and a good many cookies are eaten and long gone already!! So, thank you Char! Your recipe looks like it's a KEEPER! They are absolutely delicious, and are exactly the nice texture in a cookie that I like! Time to update my family recipe books!.. Out with the old, and in with the newer and better! This recipe made quite a good number of cookies. I'd say how many, but I did assorted sizes, as you can see with my star-spangled cookies. I also did some pink cookies, for what else?.. Pink Saturday! I'll serve them up tomorrow!

Well, I've got plenty to do today, so off I run, till my post for tomorrow! If I don't see you back here, my best wishes to you for a fun and safe holiday weekend!

11 comments:

Keri said...

Beansie, you're amazing! How many times have I told you that in the last couple of weeks? :) I absolutely LOVE your USA windsock. I was gonna post a quick pic of a red, white, and blue tote bag I made last week, but it's nothing fancy compared to your 4th of July splendor! And, I've got to try the sugar cookies. My sister makes the world's best . . . tender and chewy, with the best vanilla-almond flavor ever. So, we'll have to see if she has a little competition. :)

Have a great and very safe 4th!!

LillySue said...

Yea for the RED~WHITE & Blue!!
Have a wonderful Independence Day!
Blessings~LillySue

Beansieleigh said...

To Keri.. Oh my gosh! I LOVE tote bags, and I definitely want to see your red, white, and blue one! There was one I wanted to try this year, but I never had the time to, so maybe next year. I DO have one I made LAST year though, so I'm sure I'll tote that around tomorrow! As for the cookies, they're great, but they do not have that almond flavor you speak of. I don't see why you couldn't just add that to the recipe though... Now make sure you POST THAT TOTE! I'll be watching for it!! (0;

Beansieleigh said...

To LillySue... Hey! You have a good one too! I don't know what exactly we're doing yet, because we are always last minute, spur of the moment planners. Whatever the case may be, just as long as these cookies are close by, I'll be the happiest blogger on the block! (0;

Pam said...

I've never found a sugar cookie cut-out type cookie I like. I'll have to try this one, or maybe half it and try it. See how smart I've gotten in my old age? I even have red, white, and blue cookie sprinkles I bought last year and then never used. Hopefully they'll still be good. I made chocolate chip coconut cookies today so it'll have to wait. Cute little wind sock!

Beansieleigh said...

To Pam.. Chocolate Chip coconut?.. THAT sounds really good too! I'm coming over YOUR way to see if you have them posted (maybe with a recipe?)... As for the windsock, THANKS! It really looks cute hanging outside on the front porch! Now, I just have to buy some more OATMEAL, so I can make ANOTHER one! (0;

Keri said...

Hi, again, Beansie! I've got the red, white, and blue tote loaded up with, of all things, ORANGE yarn, plus some scizzors, hook, and pattern. I twisted my mother-in-law's arm to get her to help me with an Oklahoma State afghan that I'm making for a lady at work. I agreed to make it, not realizing how busy things were going to get this summer. Now, she keeps asking when I'm going to have it ready for her because she wants to get it wrapped and ready to give as a gift in August. ARRGGHHHHH!!!! So, my MIL graciously agreed to help me make granny squares, as long as I'll let her make the orange ones, instead of the black ones. :) I'm going to donate the money I'm going to make to her church to show my appreciation. It will be soooo worth it, just to get the silly thing done. I'll think twice next time before I bite off more than I can chew!

So, anyway, I'll snap a quick pick of my patriotic tote bag before it gets delivered to my MIL.

About the cookies . . . the almond is a very nice touch with the tiny bit of vanilla. Like I said, my sister's cookies are so yummy, so very flavorful.

Happy and safe 4th!

Shana said...

Beansie, my friend! Thanks for the well wishes for Blaze. he is much better but still swollen and now festering up on him. they are sore too but he will be fine as he is a little trooper. I do remember the show with Kate and Allie. Good idea! i am trying to get back in the swing of things and will be soon just a lot going on right now. Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July!! I am still going to post my prize from you but seem to have misplaced my camera cord. i could do another cell pic though...hmmm.

Beansieleigh said...

To Keri.. Oh, I have been there and done THAT! I'm glad to hear you found someone to help you out!! Happy 4th to you too!!

Beansieleigh said...

To Shana.. Now I'm singing "Sisters, Sisters, There were never such devoted sisters..." I'm sure it will be stuck in my head for the rest of the night! Can't blame YOU for that though! LOL! That's just how my mind works anyway!! (0; I'm actually still thinking about names even! They remind me of my grandmother's calico cats, Judy and Jodie! So there's a couple more ideas for ya! My other grandmother liked the names Buttons and Bows! Those are cute names too!.. specially for us crafty sorts!

DabookLady said...

3 cheers to you...the windsock turned out wonderful!!! I love it... :)