Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sugar, Spice, and Sunflowers!

The Sugar and Spice Annie Swap #2, hosted by Aunt PittyPat, was so much fun the first time, I had to sign up AGAIN when I heard she was starting a second round! My swap-partner, Jany should be getting the doll I made her, hopefully, tomorrow. We mailed each other's packages right around the same time; but I think her mailman is faster than MY mailman, because I just got my package from her TODAY! I think MY mailman better start eating his WHEATIES! I was not expecting Jany's package already, but there it was!

(Gasp!).. But, oh no!.. I can't open it now! I am on my way out to pick up Dear Son from school! I have to WAIT to open it! NO WAY! Can I wait that long to open it? I guess I'll HAVE to!

Well, I headed out to the school, picked up Dear Son, and got back home, thirty whole minutes later, which was just torture, ya know! How did I ever do it?!.. Well, it WAS good to see my boy. He told me his day went well, and we talked on the way home. I love that, and anything concerning an agonizing wait is forgotten now! Finally, we got home, and I was ready to open this box, and as you can see, here she is!

An adorable little Annie, wearing the sweetest little sunflower dress, with matching bow in her hair, big beautiful eyes, and the prettiest little smile on her face! Jany also sent a cute little terra-cotta pot with a fabric sunflower in it, a packet of sunflower seeds, a very pretty tag (which I am determined to try to make some myself one of these days!), and then, of course, she also enclosed a small personal note. I have already emailed her, thanking her, but here I want to thank her again! She is clearly a very talented artist with all that she does! I just can't wait now, to see how she likes mine when she gets it! I will post that doll when she does, so as not to spoil the surprise.

If you would like to see more of Jany's work, just head on over to her blog, Look In The Nook.

Well, now that I've posted and boasted all about my new Annie doll today, I want to show you what I just finished, fresh off my crochet hook, this morning...

Here is my 12-inch, May "Flower Garden", the fifth granny square, for the Calendar 'Ghan crochet-along, over at Dishcloth Diaries. April's next June granny square is named "Summer Romance".. Hmmm, what colors should I do THAT in? Fiery Reds? Flaming oranges?.. or in Icy Blues?! Ha! Ha! I'll have to think about that! It seems most of the participants are doing their squares in single solid colors, but no, not me! I guess I'll find out how it all ties in together in December, but I'm liking my colors well enough so far!

Finally, here's a doll I found at a garage sale this past weekend. They were closing up shop, and I have to tell you there is always a soft spot in my heart, for the orphaned dolly laying in an abandoned heap, ready to be carelessly tossed into the nearest trash can or dumpster. So I said I'd take her, for the dollar they were still asking, and I'll see what I can do to clean her up, and make her feel special again! This is it, her "before" picture! Her tag says "Our Generation", and she appears to be about the same size as the American Girl dolls. Her hair is definitely dried out and slightly matted, so I think a wire brush may be necessary to style her hair as best I can. She's fairly clean, so I'm not too worried about that. She had NO clothing, the poor thing! I may have some sewing patterns to make her something to wear, but I might still prefer to crochet her a new outfit. I'll post the "After" picture of a hopefully happier new dolly as soon as I can!

11 comments:

maidenshade said...

Hi Beansie, oh what a loverly gift to receive! Wonderful stuff in your crochet world too. Ahhh, great to read a positive post!

I've had dr. appts AND our air went out (I'm in south Florida... 95 yesterday) so I've not been on my blog nor have I come 'round to visit. Interesting week; )

Great list today on MaidenShade Matters, "How Long Can I Keep It? Shelf Lives for Common Foods".

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com
DeStash.me

Beverooni said...

What a precious doll. I wanted to join this swap but my sewing skills have seen better days. I can't wait to see the one you made. What a fun post for you today! crocheting! doll rescues! convos with DS! exciting package! Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Beansieleigh said...

To J,MaidenShade.. Oh dear, hope your air is back ON now!! I can't imagine the high 90's without it! Well, everybody has their bad days, and I am certainly no exception, but I try to, as best I can anyways, keep "Blogland" and my "Beansie Babbles" blog as much a HAPPY getaway as I can!.. for not just me, but for any friends who come here!.. So thank you for saying this! I am so glad you liked it today!

Beansieleigh said...

Oh Bev.. If and when AuntPittyPat holds another dolly swap, I'll let you know! Skills are not in that HIGH of a demand for this doll. It is a very basic little pattern, and the dress is very simple too! The fancier you see things get is strictly by choice and/or by embellishment.. There can be just as much hot-gluing, and painting to these dolls as any sewing that it may appear to have been! If you get a chance, check out the rest of the dollies at AuntPittyPat's flicker group. I am going to have to check those out soon too, as I haven't seen anybody else's yet. I don't think I was the only one running late with this!! LOL!.. but seeing all the variations of all the dolls from this event, and even the first one too, is so much FUN!!.. ONE pattern and so MANY different little personalities created!! Thanks for stopping by Bev! We'll see if Jany gets my doll today!

Lynn said...

I know you will make that poor little dolly adorable again.
Can"t wait to see it!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Lynn!.. I'm going to TRY! (0; Thanks for stopping by!

Caroline said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I used fiberfill for the pokeballs. I love the dolly and the sunflower! Being a Kansan, sunflowers hold a special spot and anybody who' s a friend of a sunflower is a friend of mine!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Caroline! They are such a big, bright, and beautiful sight to see! There are SOME that grow around here, but not many; so I'm happy enough to set any artificial ones around my house and I can pretend they're real!!

LillySue said...

I LOVE your granny squares!! Good luck with your dolly....I am just like you and have to rescue all the lost dolly souls, heehe! I am sure she will be lovely after her spa treatment!
Blessings~LillySue

Beansieleigh said...

Hi LillySue!.. Thanks, I'm glad you like my squares! Being it's kind of a mystery 'ghan, I'm hoping my colors will be ok!.. As for any lost, abandoned, and "misfit" dollies, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hears "this calling"! LOL!

Yarnjeannie said...

Your dolly definitely needs a crocheted outfit! Can't wait to see her all dressed up!