Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pink Saturday in Sequins and Sparkle!

This week I showed how I used homemade sequins on a cell phone case I crocheted. How did I make homemade sequins? I take colorful shiny empty juice packets, such as from Kool-Aid Jammers, or Capri Sun Coolers, rinsed and dried, then punch holes into them! From there, I've made everything from book marks, purses and tote bags, to Easter baskets and Christmas stockings! As all the shiny colorful dots left over from punching holes were piling up, they seemed too sparkly and pretty to just toss into the garbage! So a sparkly thought sparked my imagination! The thought to recycle arose, and my homemade jammer sequins were now being saved for future projects! How pretty they've even looked, just stored in a canning jar, till I decided on projects I wanted to try!

Here is a new dolly of mine, sweetly dressed in sequins and PINK!.. And behold the beautiful African Violet! I just picked this up for my kitchen window garden, and I can almost assure you that this is probably the most flowers you will ever see on it, EVER AGAIN! I wish I had a greener thumb, and I am working on that; but when any African Violet of mine blooms even ONE flower, I'm ready to take pictures and throw a party!! I have a Christmas Cactus that has NEVER bloomed, and well.. Let's just not even talk about that! Let's just move on...

Now I mentioned my crochet cell phone case, done in black, in a previous post, with a pattern!.. but here is ANOTHER, now done in PINK! Dear Daughter picked this one for herself! I'm so happy she likes it! My little princess, who is a teacher now, has asked me to make her a pencil case with some of my jammer sequins on it, so that's a little something I'll be working on soon!

Here you see a little flower keychain I made in a hot pink acrylic yarn with sequins and a very pretty button for the center. I know how rough I can be with a set of keys though, so this may just adorn one of my plain-jane tote bags, or maybe even hang from a rear-view mirror!

Thanks to Beverly, at How Sweet The Sound, for hosting this Pink Saturday event! I hope you enjoyed seeing a few quick and easy crochet projects I've done, and that maybe it inspires you to recycle and recreate too! Make sure you stop over to Beverly's to see a listing of all the other PINK Saturday participants. See the many fun and beautiful PINKS they all have to share on this fine day!

Finally, I'd like to share my pattern for the pretty little pink frock my fashion doll is wearing today! Again, I do hope that there are some girls out there, young and young-at-heart, who will enjoy it!

Pretty In Sparkling Pink!
Crochet dress pattern for any 11 and 1/2" fashion doll.
(c) Pattern designed and written by Beansieleigh (TS), on June 18, 2009
Pattern posted at http://beansiebabbles.blogspot.com/

Skill Level: Easy!

Materials Needed:
Small amount of 4-ply acrylic yarn, in color of choice
Crochet hook, size G (or size needed to obtain gauge and proper fit)
Sequins: store bought, or as I have, homemade!
Ponytail Hair Elastic (unstretched, approx 6" circumference)
Yarn needle, for weaving in ends
Sewing needle
Sewing thread that matches as closely as possible to the yarn used for this dress.
Scissors, and finally a thimble may be helpful.

Gauge: 2 sc = approx. 1/2"

Abbreviations used:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sc dec = single crochet decrease
dc = double crochet
st = stitch
sl st = slit stitch
FLO = Front Loops Only

Instructions:

Rnd 1: Crochet 30 sc around the hair elastic. Sl st to join the round. This is the top of the dress.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, *sc dec, sc in the next 4 st* around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 3-4: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st to join the round. (25 sc)

Rnd 5: Ch 1, *sc dec, sc in the next 3 st* around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 6-7: Sl st over the next 4 st, sc in the next 11 st, sl st over the next 3 st, sk the last st, sl st to join the round.

Rnd 8: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st to join the round. (18 sc)

Rnd 9: Ch 1, in FLO, sc in same st, 2 sc in the next st. *Sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 10: Ch 1, working in BOTH loops again, sc in the same st, sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st. *Sc in the next 2 st, 2 sc in the next st* around. Sl st to join the round. (34 sc)

Rnd 11: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), in FLO, dc in same st, then proceed to crochet 2 dc in each st around. Sl st to join the round. (68 dc)

Rnd 12-14: Ch 3, working in BOTH loops, dc in the next st, and in each st around. Sl st to join the round. Fasten off main color, and attach white for the lacy ruffled hemline of this dress.

Rnd 15: *Ch 4, sl st into next st. Ch 4, sl st into same st. Ch 4, sl st into next st* around. (In so following this edging pattern, you will have one sl st in every other st, and then 2 sl st in the rest of the stitches around.) Sl st to join the round. Fasten off yarn and weave in end.

Take your needle and thread, and sew sequins to the top of the dress, and bottom of the dress, as shown in the photo. I also added one little sequin to the center of a flower I had in this dolls hair!

I hope you have fun with this! Make one, or make several!.. Enjoy!

29 comments:

♥Mimi♥ said...

Lovely pink blog post! Another Saturday, where I am taking in all of the pink and visiting some of the most lovely blogs in cyberspace. I need the pink this morning, it's all dark and raining outside. So thanks for the uplift☺

Wishing you and those you l♥ve a weekend filled with sunshine, good food and many, tender memories.

Keri said...

I'm already in love with your blog!! I stayed up way too late last night, reading all your old posts, and what a nice way to end the day! I love your Jammer totes and your cell phone cases. I plan to try your phone case pattern this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Nancy @ La Chambre Rose said...

That is so clever! I always try to find a use for everything, too. Happy Pink Saturday!

g said...

You're so creative, to use these packages for great art! And it's recycling, too! Brava! Have a wonderful Pink Saturday!

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

So many adorable things! How very clever! The barbie dress is so adorable and so barbie!

Thanks for sharing

happy weekend!
Tina

Mary said...

What a clever presentation of your "pink" for the week. Thank you for sharing with us. Blessings...Mary

Rita said...

Who would have thunk. Homemade sequins. I will have to teach this trick to my niece. Ages 6-9-11. They love to do artwork and add all kinds of sparkle. The drink boxes would be something they have lots of. I will have to get them to save a few for me as well.

Love the phone cases. I would love to find one at a craft fair around here. I always buy homemade for gifts when possible. Have no real talents in that area myself.

Sassy M said...

You have the ♥ of a crafter/miniaturist! Always looking to see, hmmm, what can I use that for?! What a fantastic tip on how to make homemade sequins! I will file that one away most definitely! Thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you are having a faBulous PiNk SaTuRdAy ♥ MaRsHa

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness! Your pinks are so GREEN!
Congratulations for keeping your carbon footprint so small!

NicNacManiac said...

You blow me away!! Your creativity is awesome. Homemade sequins are great and the way you crochet with all kinds of items is amazing!!
Thanks for sharing and have a fantastic Pink Saturday!!
Hugs, Nerina :)

Angelika said...

Oh My God! How lovely is this?!! I must show my daughter the Barbie one. She loves and collects her Barbies (yeah, I know she's 26 ... but hey! LOL).

WOW you put so much effort and love into your post. Thank you!

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

You are so creative! I can't believe you even made your own sequins! I've done all kinds of needlework like embroidery, counted cross stitch, crewel, etc., but I never did learn to crochet or knit. :(

Dreamgirl said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Sweeterliving and for leaving such a nice comment.

I hope you have a blessed Sunday.

Greetings from Norway!

Smilingsal said...

Cute and functional! Happy Pink Saturday,

MiniMadWoman said...

Wow! I can't believe your sequins are made from juice boxes! Unbelievable! I love the pretty pink dress and those cell phone totes are the cutest! Your juice box totes are fantastic! I love 'em!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your kind comments! Now if I could just get that pink bag from Kim and get hubby to buy me that pink cowboy hat I'd be happening! LOL!!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Teresa,
Inside the Mind of a MiniMadWoman

Kdottie Designs said...

What wonderful pinks! Happy Pink Saturday!

debbie said...

HAPPY PINK SATURDAY.....
I think your sequins have to be the cleverest use of something we would normally throw out...you are awesome...sequins can be very expensive. I give you a standing ovation and a pat on the back.
I wish I could crochet....I start out loose to make an afghan and before I am even a 1/3rd of the way it is so tight and heavy, if I kept on the afghan would crush you from being so tight and heavy.
I joined your blog as a follower. Please drop by and see me when you get time.
hugs
debbie

Regina said...

Your very creative, i like the cell phone case. lovely post.

Maria Berg said...

The Barbie doll with pink close and looking at a pink flower, maybe it is her´s pink bag for the cellphone?

/MB

maidenshade said...

Happy Pink Saturday on Sunday. Wow Tina, so clever to use things like that, just incredible work. Hope your day is full of love and happiness.

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com

Yarnjeannie said...

You've been busy! I love all the items you have posted, and the Barbie dress is fabulous! I will definitely have to give the cell phone case - adorable!

Bellamere Cottage said...

In a million years I would have never EVER thought to make my own sequins! You are SO clever! :-)

I love the Barbie dress, how adorable!!....when I was a little girl my Auntie Frannie crocheted a wedding dress for my Barbie. I still treasure it. Even as a little girl I appreciated all the work that went into it.

Happy Belated Pink Saturday!

Blessings,
Spencer

Charlene said...

Look at that Barbie outfit! Sorry I am running so late for PS. Saturday just got away from me! Have a gret week.

Katie said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Love the homemade sequins! Here is a link to some answers about your cactus not blooming, this might help!

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/christmascactus

april o said...

The homemade sequins are the bomb!!!! Funny I have an african violet that never blooms but can get the christmas cactus to bloom without trying. Thanks for visiting the artchics! Happy Pink!

Ivy Lane said...

Love your "pinks" today!!! The cell phone carrier is so cute!!! Have a Great Week!!!

suesueb said...

isn't it great that all us crafters can't seem to throw anything out and then we find a use for it!! i love the barbie dress especially, thanks for sharing the pattern!! happy pink week!

Terri said...

Cool pink things. I especially like the crochet Barbie dress and flower keychain. thanks for sharing the pattern for the dress too. Hope you have a great week. Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog as well.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Wow, I think I've heard it all now ~ homemade sequins ~ TERRIFIC!! Thanks for stopping by my blog ~ please visit again soon. I'd love to see your sequined table runner when you finish it.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents