Thursday, June 18, 2009

One Blingy Ringy Dingy!

I love my cell phone! I did away with the land-line phone a long time ago, because frankly, "Who needs it?" To me, it's outdated, it's history, and it's a extra bill I don't want! I've got new yarns and fabrics.. new purses and shoes.. and let's not forget all the Ice Cream shacks and parlors that call to me far more loudly than Ma Bell ever will again!

But in a day's time, as I enjoy the luxury of this portable little line to the outside world, on my person everywhere I go, every minute of every day, chances are very likely that it will fall and hit that hardwood floor or a cement sidewalk at any unfortunate moment! So I love a crocheted cell phone case for that padded protection of my beloved little device! Not only is it an essential measure of security to me, but of course it is now a fashion statement as well! I love making and carrying them around in all different styles and colors, and matching one to whatever outfit I'm wearing for the day! They are so quick and easy to make, that why not?! I must have close to a dozen by now, and if one looks a little dirty to me, I just toss it into the machine with the rest of my wash, then flat-dry it as easy as that! I have one basic pattern I've written up for my own phone. From there, I design, alter, and embellish to my heart's delight for each new case I make.

Now you might remember the jammer-sequin dots, just a bunch of leftover hole-punched dots from empty Kool-Aid Jammer packets, which I have stored from Easter projects some time ago? Having saved them all with future crafty RECYCLING intentions in mind, here you see one finished project I've made using this shiny homemade bling!.. And here is the pattern I want to share, so that you can make one too!

Blingy Ringy Dingy Cell Phone Case
(c) Pattern Designed and Written by Beansieleigh (TS), June 17, 2009
Pattern posted at http://beansiebabbles.blogspot.com/

Finished Size: Approximately 2 and 3/4" x 3 and 3/4" (but pattern can be easily adjusted to fit your own cell phone by changing hook size, or by adding/subtracting stitches/rounds.)

Skill Level: EASY!

Materials Needed:

4-ply WW acrylic yarn, in color of choice
Crochet hook, size G
Yarn needle, for weaving in yarn ends.
1 (3/8") button, for the strap of this case.
Sequins, either store-bought, or homemade like mine! (I used approx. 90)
Thread matching the color yarn used, and sewing needle
Scissors.. and you may find a thimble to be of great help!

Gauge: 2 sc = approximately 1/2"

Abbreviations used:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
st = stitch
sl st = slit stitch
Rnd = Round

Instructions:

Rnd 1: Ch 7, 2 sc in second ch from hook, and in each of the next 4 st. 3 sc in the next st. Now working down the opposite side of chain, sc in next 4 st, sc in the last st (where you already have 2 sc), sl st to join the round.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st, 2 sc in the next st, sc in next 4 st, 2 sc in the next st, sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st, sc in next 4 st, 2 sc in the last st. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 st. *2 sc in next st, sc in next st* twice. 2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in the last st. Sl st to join the round. (24 sc)

Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in each st around.

Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc in same st and in each of the next 11 st. Sc dec over the next 2 st, sc in next 8 st, sc dec over the last 2 st. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 6: Sl st over to the next st, ch 1, sc in each st around, sl st to join the round. (22 sc)

Rnd 7-12: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 13: Sl st over to the next st, sc in each st around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 14-15: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st to join round.

Strap: Chain 22, sc in 5th chain from hook (button hole made). Sc back down the remaining in 17 ch, sl st to the same st where you started your chain from. Fasten off yarn, and weave in end. Sew a button to the top opposite side of Round 13 of cell phone case.

O.K.. At this point, you'll want to set up your beverage, snacks, your thread, needle, your jammer-sequins, and a good movie. This next step takes a little time, but is easy and well worth it! Just make yourself comfortable, and you'll probably have all the sewing done by the time your movie is over! Take your needle and thread, and working from the top side of your case, around and downward, sew one sequin to every other st, down every other round, being careful enough with placement so as not to have the appearance of columns. For the protection of your fingertips and manicures, I would suggest using a thimble. Just weave your thread through the crochet stitches, into the sequins, and back through the crochet stitches again till you reach the bottom. Fasten off thread securely, and you're done!

Now you may ask why I gave my pattern such a silly sounding name, but this may help to explain. I'm a big fan of Lily Tomlin. Here is one of the many great characters she is most well-known for.. and with Cher too! Oh! You'll have to turn off my background music first! I hope you can stop back Saturday, to see some PINK jammer-sequin projects I came up with!

12 comments:

Shana said...

Very cute case!!! I love that!

Beansieleigh said...

Thanks Shana! The photo really doesn't do it justice.. Up close, you would see it sparkle and shine MUCH better than I could catch on camera at the time I took this picture! I'm making a second "blingy ringy dingy" case right now!.. In what color now?.. PINK!!.. and while I am baking a cake!! (0;

Shana said...

Maybe I am biased but I don't think Blaze can make any other kind of picture...lol. I can't wait to get my package I am so excited and will post about it when I do! Thanks so much!

Caroline said...

Love it and I'll have to try the pattern. Thanks for sharing(TFS)!

Beansieleigh said...

To Caroline.. Thank you! I'm so glad you like this! Have fun making one!.. or two, or three!

Shana said...

hey I got your yesterday and I love everything!! Thanks so much for the donut! I love those and your work is outstanding! I will post about it once I get pics taken. there is something I left for you on my blog so check it out!

Beansieleigh said...

To Shana... Oh I'm so glad you got it!!.. and THANK YOU for my award! I will post about that later this evening hopefully!

Keri said...

I saw that you dropped by to visit my blog, and I wanted to take a quick moment to shout out an Oklahoma "HOWDY"! I started reading through your blog and got so tickled at some of your entries. I'm anxious to get through your archive, but I'll have to do a little at a time. I'm working from home right now and need to get back to my "real" job. :) Oh, I love the cell phone case, and I intend to try the pattern this weekend. I, too, have quite a few cases, but mine are plain-vanilla compared to your "Blingy Ringy Dingy"! :) I'm excited about adding a little pizazz to make my phone special.

Have a great weekend and come visit again soon!

Beansieleigh said...

Hey Keri! A big "Yo.. t'sup?!" from New York! Ha! Ha!.. Just kidding! "Howdy" right back atcha!! (0; I made two of these cases now, and just gave one to Dear Daughter!.. So we now have Mother-Daughter Blingy Ringy Dingies! Say THAT five times fast! Post yours on your blog when you're done, so I (and everybody) can see it! Have fun!! Have a great weekend, and thanks for stopping by!

Renee' said...

Oh thats Cute :)

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Renee!! I'm glad you like it! Thank you, and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend, and hope you'll visit again sometime soon!

paintinpatti said...

Love the Lily Tomlin and Cher video! Just made me laugh! Happy Pink Saturday!