Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dolly Makeover And A New Pattern Too!

Well I've already posted "Garage Sale Dolly's" photo, in her "as is" condition, in a previous post. But if you missed it, here is the "Before" view of her, before I set to work on this Dolly Makeover.

Her hair, looks far shorter than it really was because, perhaps in the hopes of a quicker sale, someone I suspect with some well-trained hair-styling skills french-braided her hair in such a way, that you could not tell the mess that this doll's hair was really in! I suppose this may have been satisfactory to a young child who simply drags the doll around as a temporary companion, till the next newer, bigger, or better doll or teddy bear comes along. I, however, was not happy with this, and it took a good deal of time, patience, and the right products and tools to save the hair she had, without resorting to cutting it off, covering it up in a hat, or even having to buy a dolly wig! What I found to be the most helpful was fabric softener, a good strong comb and wire brush, and a good quality hair detangler, and a couple of hand towels. I must emphasize that I found time and patience far more helpful than the store-bought products, but all together, everything tested and tried, step by step, I found I was very happy with the results in the long run! Her hair was not only longer than I previously thought it was, but it was softer and shinier than I had even hoped for! You can clearly see the improvement in the photo, but even at this point, looks were still deceiving. After taking this picture, I still had to trim away approximately an inch of hair, just so that it could have at least some fair degree of manageability. By just doing this, I had a far easier time running a comb through her hair without a tangle or fight! If you have a dolly in need of a makeover, then I would suggest you could check out the following websites, here, and here.

Well, this all was great, and it was starting to feel like a job well done; but "Garage Sale Dolly" was starting to look far too pretty for a name like this! Bev, from One Yarn After Another, and I had put our heads together on that, and Bev had a couple of nice suggestions! The one name was "Lovey", and I just thought that was so sweet! So I decided on that, along with a middle name which brings me to a fun question for my readers! In all the time that I put into making over my new doll, her face kept reminding me of someone! I will give you ONE hint, and I'm hoping someone will concur and validate my opinion on this! I will only say that the person Lovey resembles is a on a weekday morning talk show. Between all three of today's photos, can anyone guess? Here at my house, one person definitely saw the resemblance, while another person did not see it at all!.. So I'm really curious what you think! In fact, I'm thinking that perhaps the first person to correctly guess who the t.v. celebrity is that I am talking about, via a comment, and therefore identifying Lovey's middle name, should win a prize! Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what that is, as I am frankly unorganized, and this is definitely spur of the moment! However, I hope to make it one that is fun and at least somewhat worth the effort for having just read this far into my post today!!

Well, anyways, having finally been given a name, Lovey was certainly in need of something to wear! I had my colors narrowed down to pink or yellow, and I had made up my mind to crochet her a dress, rather than sew one. I think that my excitement for the sunny summer season that's just around the corner now, was the biggest influence that lead me to choose a pretty shade of yellow! So, without further ado, I am sharing my pattern for this dress with you today!
I hope that girls of all ages will enjoy this pattern and the pretty new doll dresses made from it!
First, I'd like you to meet Lovey, as pretty as she now looks today!

Oh You Beautiful Doll Dress!
(c) Crochet pattern designed and written by Beansieleigh (TS) on June 11, 2009
Pattern posted at http://beansiebabbles.blogspot.com/

Dress is made to fit an 18" doll. This dress has a nice full flair to it, complete with pretty puffy sleeves, and a slip underneath.

Skill Level: Advanced beginner/Intermediate
Gauge: 2 sc = 1/2", 2 rows of sc = approx. 1/2"

Materials Needed:
Red Heart Super Saver acrylic 4-ply WW yarn, in main color (Cornmeal, one 7-oz. skein)
Red Heart Super Saver acrylic 4-ply WW yarn, in white, just enough for trim and slip
3 (5/8") buttons (*Note: number of chain stitches for button holes can easily be adjusted for the size buttons you may prefer instead for this dress.)
Crochet hook, Size G
scissors and yarn needle
thread and sewing needle (to sew buttons)
Silk Flower (optional)

Abbreviations Used:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
trc = triple crochet
st = stitch
sl st = slit stitch
sk = skip
sc dec = single crochet decrease
dc dec = double crochet decrease
FLO = Front Loops Only

Special Stitches Used:

double crochet decrease: Yarn over hook, insert hook in next st, pull yarn through, yarn over hook, pull yarn through 2 loops, yarn over hook, insert hook into next st, pull yarn through, yarn over hook, pull through two loops, yarn over hook, pull yarn through remaining 3 loops on hook.

triple crochet stitch: Yarn over hook twice, insert hook in next st, pull yarn through, (yarn over hook, pull yarn through 2 loops) 3 times.

Beginning at the neckline of the dress, and with main color yarn...

Row 1: Ch 28, sc in 6th ch from hook (first button hole now made). Sc in each of the remaining 22 ch. across. (23 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: 2 sc in each sc across. (46 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 3-4: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 5: Sc in the first 8 st, 2 sc in each of the next 8 st, sc in each of the next 14 st, 2 sc in each of the next 8 st, sc in each of the last 8 st. (62 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 6: Sc in the first 8 st, ch 8, sk next 16 st, sc in next 14 st, ch 8, sk next 16 st, sc in last 8 st.
Ch 6 (second button hole made), turn.

Row 7: Sc in each st and ch across. (46 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 8: Sc in 8 st, sl st in each of the next 8 st, sc in the next 14 st, sl st in each of the next 8 st, sc in each of the last 8 st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 9: Sc in each st across, being careful to catch the furthest back loops, so as not to have unused loops showing on the right (see *Note below) side. (46 sc) Ch 1, turn.

*Note: When I refer to the right side of the dress, I mean that dress should be right side out, with button holes on the left side, buttons on the right side of back opening of dress.

Rows 10-11: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 12: Sc in each st across. Ch 6 (third button hole made), turn.

Rows 13-15: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 16: Sc in each st across, sl st to the first sc of this row, to now proceed crocheting in rounds.

Rnds 1-2: Ch 1, sc in same st and in each st around. Sl st to join round. (46 sc)

Rnd 3: Ch 1, then in FLO, sc in same st, 2 sc in the next st. *Sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st* around. (69 sc)

Rnd 4: Ch 3 (this will always count as the first dc, now and for the remainder of this pattern) crocheting in both loops again, dc in the next st and in each st around. Sl st to join round. (69 dc)

Rnd 5: Sl st to the next st, ch 3, dc in the same st, dc in each of the next 2 st. *2 dc in the next st, dc in the next 2 st* around. Join round with a sl st. (92 dc)

Rnd 6: Ch 3, dc in the same st, dc in the next 3 st. *2 dc in the next st, dc in each of the next 3 st* around. Sl st to join the round. (115 dc)

Rnd 7: Ch 3, dc in each st around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 8: Sl st into the next st. Ch 3, dc in each st around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 9-10: Ch 3, dc in each st around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 11: Sl st into the next st, ch 3, dc in the next st and in each st around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 12: Ch 3, dc in next st and in each st around. Sl st to join the round. Fasten off yellow, and attach white at the same st.

Rnd 13: Ch 1, sc in the same st, hdc in the next st, (dc, trc, dc) in the next st, hdc in the next st, sc in the next st. *Sc in the next st, hdc in the next st, (dc, trc, dc) in the next st, hdc in the next st, sc in the next st* around. Sl st to join the round. (You should now have 23 scallops made.)

Rnd 14: *(Ch 4, sk next st, sl st in the next st) 3 times, sl st to the next st*, repeat from asterisk, repeating this pattern around. Join round with a sl st. (You should now have 3 little chain spaces for each scallop.) Fasten off, and weave in any ends.

Sew first button at the edge of right side opening, just between Rows 1 and 2, near the neckline of the dress.

Sew the second button at the edge of right side opening, just between Rows 7 and 8, down towards the middle of the back.

Sew the third button at the edge of right side opening, just between Rows 13 and 14, at the bottom of bodice of the dress.

Sleeves:

Attach main color yarn to underarm at 4th skipped st from left side of armhole.

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in the same st and in next 3 st. Now working in stitches at the top of the armhole, 2 sc in each of the next 16 st. Now working back in remaining skipped stitches at the bottom of the armhole, sc in the last 4 st. Sl st to join the round. (40 sc)

Rnds 2-3: Ch 1, sc in same st and in next 3 st. Hdc in the next 2 st, dc in the next 28 st, hdc in the next 2 st, sc in last 4 st. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 4: Sl st to the next st, ch 1, sc in the same st, and in each of the next 3 st, hdc in the next 2 st, (dc dec over the next 2 st) 14 times, hdc in the next 2 st, sc in the last 4 st. Sl st to join the round. (26 st)

Rnd 5-6: Ch 1, sc in same st, and in each of the next 3 st, hdc in the next 2 st, dc in the next 14 st, hdc in the next 2 st, sc in the last 4 st. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 7: Ch 1, *sc dec over the next 2 st* around. Sl st to join the round. Fasten off main color, and weave in yarn end. (13 st) Attach white to same st.

Rnd 8: Ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 3, sc in same st again, ch 3 sc in next st* around. Sl st to join the round. Fasten off white, and weave in end.

Proceed to make second sleeve in the same manner.

Underskirt/Slip:

Holding dress upside down, flipping the inside of the dress's skirt out, attach white yarn at a back unused loop from Rnd 3 of dress.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, dc in the same st, dc in the next st. *2 dc in the next st, dc in next st* around; dc dec over the last 2 st. Sl st to join the round. (69 dc)

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in the same st, dc in each of the next 2 st. *2 dc in the next st, dc in next 2 st* around. Sl st to join the round. (92 dc)

Rnd 3: Sl st to the next st, ch 3, dc in the same st, dc in the next 3 st. *2 dc in the next st, dc in the next 3 st* around. Join round with a sl st. (115 dc)

Rnd 4-5: Ch 3, dc in the next st and in each st around. Sl st to join the round.

Rnd 6: Sl st to the next st, ch 3, dc in the next st and in each st around.

Rnd 7-8: Ch 3, dc in next st and in each st around. Sl st to join the round. Fasten off yarn and weave in end.

Hairbow: With main color yarn, ch 80. Sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across. Fasten off and weave in end. Wrap around doll's head like a headband, and tie into a bow.

Silk flower bow at front waistline of dress (an optional embellishment): With main color, ch 50. Fasten off with a knot, cut yarn end. Weave chain through only a couple st, at the front bottom of bodice. Tie into a bow. (See photo) Sew, hot glue, or wire-wrap silk flower onto the top of this bow, keeping in mind your intentions/methods for washing dress in the future. (My advice: cool water handwash, lay flat to dry.)

18 comments:

maidenshade said...

Holy Cow! That transformation is just amazing. She is darling! You make your own patterns too? Gosh what a talent.

Tomorrow for Pink Saturday I'm featuring a slideshow of lovely flowers from my Dad's gardens around his home on the St. Croix River in Wisconsin.

Today I have a post on Slide, an application that lets you have slideshows on your blog, website whatever.

Take Care, J
http://MaidenShade.wordpress.com

Beansieleigh said...

Hi J! Thank you! I am just tickled "PINK" with how pretty she looks now! I wonder what the garage sale sellers would say if they saw her now!! Thanks for stopping by!

Faith said...

Beansie,
you have a gift for sure..she turned out lovely...and the outfit is very pretty and suits her to t "T"...Nice job...Oh if they could see her now.....I don't know who she looks like on morning tv, I don't watch it...she reminded me of Julie Andrews long time ago.....I think it is Julie Andrews I am thinking of....

Good work-

Shana said...

hey can I make 2 guesses?? I am guessing either Ellen or Elisabeth Hasselback. I think that is her last name. The more I look at pics the more I think it is Ellen. I thought kelly ripa at forst but that wouldn't sound good with Lovey.

Beansieleigh said...

Shana!! You got it!!.. but nice try Faith!

Yes!.. Dolly's new name is Lovey Elizabeth!
I KEPT seeing Elizabeth, from "The View"!! I LOVE this late morning show, but it's VERY rare when I ever catch it! NOW I'm just hoping my t.v. sets work at All!! Today is TV-conversion day, yes? I don't have cable, so I have to find SOMEBODY to hook up the converter box to my one tv, while I still need to buy at least one or two more to hook up to other sets in the house... UGH!! )0:< Anyways, I was hoping you all were actually reading what I "babble" on about, and I'm glad you girls read and played along!!! Shana I will get back to you for an address, and will happily be sending you a small, but hopefully FUN package that I hope you'll like, for being the winner of Beansie's Giveaway today!!! Congrats!

Beverooni said...

I'm so excited you chose "Lovey" -- I love it! What a cute little dress you have made for her. I am amazed she cleaned up so well.

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Bev! I remember meeting a little girl named Lovey when I was just a little girl.. and the name struck me as so different, but I thought it was pretty!.. It's really a beautiful name! I am so happy she cleaned up as pretty as she did! The only thing I didn't have for her yet, was shoes, but I don't think she's too worried about that! (0; Thanks for stopping by!!

Luna said...

Wow !!! What a change , that is beautiful.Good Job ! I love it ....congatulations , great !


Luna

Beansieleigh said...

Hola, Luna!!... and Gracias! Yes, I was so happy with how she looked when I was still only doing her HAIR! She just looked so pretty already! The dress is like "frosting on the cake"!!.. Still, I'm glad to write up the pattern not just for myself, but for any Moms out there who might want to make some for their little girls! Thanks for stopping by!

Shana said...

Yay, I won! After I write the post I thought yep it is Elizabeth not ellen. But they both have some of the same look to them i think. I can't wait to get my prize. I don't care if it is small I just love to get mail that isn't bills...lol! Thanks Beansie!

LillySue said...

Oh, she came out so pretty!! Good job! I like her names together, they are perfect for her.
Blessings~LillySue

Beansieleigh said...

To Shana... I don't think the postman is the popular figure he may have been in "days gone by"!! All I ever get is bills too, unless i'm in a craft exchange. I'm not signed up for ANY right now.. sniff, sniff... but I'm keeping my eyes open for something fun! Anyways, I love sending goodies, whatever they may be, out to friends!! So I'll be having fun here packing SOMETHING for ya!!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi LillySue! Thank you!! I don't know what in the world my kids are going to do with all my dolls when I'm gone and meeting my maker!!.. but I told Dear Daughter to see if a women's shelter would be interested in them.. or the hospitals. There must be sick or misplaced children who would be in need somewhere!... But in the meantime, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another doll.. and another doll... and ANOTHER!... to save them from a trip to the city dump! I enjoy fixing them up pretty again, and I really do LOVE them all! (0; Thanks for stopping by!

3anklebiters said...

fantastic transformation!

Yarnjeannie said...

You did a wonderful job transforming that doll - what a talent you have. She is lovely now!

Beansieleigh said...

To 3anklebiters, and Yarnjeannie... Thank you both!!! I am very happy with how sweet she looks now! I am still pondering the perfect spot for her, but so far like her close to me by my computer. She has a very cheery effect on me dressed in her sunny-yellow little outfit!.. and she blends in nicely with the room, so she may very well stay right where she is! Thank you both for stopping by!

Susie Jefferson said...

Wow, I am wildly impressed! Writing YOUR OWN patterns - my goodness. The extent of my crochet patterning was a load of different squares for a throw, and working a particular stitch with Aran wool into a heavyweight Christening shawl (triangular) for a Winter baby. Many years ago.

Crochet's been pretty neglected for quite a few years, so it's great to see new patterns coming out. I never got on with knitting (too long to finish a row) but always loved crochet. My mother was the champion knitter (size 13 needles, 3 ply - and sometimes 2 ply) but both grandmothers crocheted, so it must have skipped a generation with me.

Where I did excel was crocheting snoods (when I had my hair accessory business) but that was just a case of going round, and round, and round, and....

Bless you Beansieleigh for making my day! And thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.

Beansieleigh said...

To Susie.. I have wanted to try snoods, and just haven't gotten round to that yet. I have a few patterns at LEAST for making them!! Hmmm... I should try to make one or two soon. I know someone who is not only interested in hats, but might be interested in snoods as well. I LOVE the movie Gone With The Wind, and I just love the ones worn throughout the movie!! Frankly, I could appreciate them a great deal in the winter when I hair tends to be fully-charged with static!!! A pretty snood would keep all my hair from flying in all directions, and out of my face!! If I get around to making one soon, I will definitely let you know first! Thank you so much for mentioning me on your blog!! I am truly flattered and grateful to you!