Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Beansie's Bikini Beach Bag!

As the warmer weather approaches, and as we're running to the gym, trying on new swimwear, and consequently watching our diets in anticipation of hot summer days on the beach, I thought I would share my pattern for my Bikini Beach Bag! I designed this a couple of years ago, but having only just started this blog, and here it is June already, I'm only happy to be able to share it with you now!

Bikini Beach Bag
(c)Pattern designed and written by Beansieleigh (TS) July 6, 2007
Pattern posted on June 2, 2009 @ http://beansiebabbles.blogspot.com/

Materials:
Worsted Weight acrylic yarns in your choice of colors
Size G Hook (or size needed to obtain preferred size of bag)
Beads (optional)
Button, for belly ring (optional)
Yarn needle for weaving ends and sewing sides together
Note: I did not choose to line this bag. After 2 years so far, this has held up very well! However, this IS an old pattern of mine, so if there are errors, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will make the necessary corrections.

Finished Size: Approximately 16" wide x 18" high (not including straps)

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet
sc dec = single crochet decrease
sc inc = single crochet increase
st = stitch
BLO = Back Loops Only

First Side of Beach Bag:

First Side of Bikini Top:
Row 1: With color chosen for bikini, ch 9, sc in second chain from hook, and in each stitch across.
(8 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: 2 sc in the first st, sc across, then 2 sc in the last st. Ch 1, turn.

Continue this pattern of increases, until you have reached 34 st, at Row 24. Fasten off.

Attach two triangles together by stitching from two bottom corners, up 6 rows only, then pull yarn slightly to gather, for a little bit of a puckered look. Fasten off, weave in end. You are now prepared to crochet a complete row (midriff section) across the bottom of the two triangle/cups of your bikini top.

Midriff Section of First Side:

Row 25: Starting at first st, at bottom of one of the triangles, now choosing a right side, and REMEMBERING, attach skin toned colored yarn. Ch 1, sc in same st, and in each st across, up to the last few stitches, just before the middle puckered area made. Because of this gathered pucker, you must as best you can, crochet into stitches most visible and reachable; but while doing this, what you want in this center area is a set of stitches that will even out/straighten out your following rows.. So, as you approach this center of the bikini top, you have to determine the center/middle stitch. This is how MY row worked out: Sc in 32 st, hdc in 2 st, dc in the most center stitch of this row, hdc in the next 2 st, then sc in the remaining 32 st. (total of 69 st).

Row 26: Sc dec in first 2 st, sc in each st across, sc dec over last 2 st.

Row 27: Sc across (67 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 28-29: Repeat Rows 26-27. (65 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 30-32: Sc across. (65 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 33-39: Repeat Rows 26-32. (61 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 40-46: Repeat Rows 26-32 again. (57 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 47-48: Sc across, fasten off, and weave in end. Attach color of bikini top to begin bikini bottom of this side of bag. Ch 1.

Bikini Bottom of First Side:

Rows 49-54: Sc inc in first st, sc in each st across, sc inc in last st. (69 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 55: In BLO, so as to add fancy edging or beaded embellishment later, sc in each st across. (69 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 56-79: (working in both loops again) Sc in each st across. (69 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 80: Sc dec over first two st, sc in each st across, sc dec over last 2 st. (67 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 81: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Rows 82-85: Repeat Rows 80-81 twice. (63 sc) Fasten off, weave in end.

Second Side of Beach Bag:

Repeat all of Side One. Sew two sides together with yarns, changing color when necessary, at the sides and bottom.

Bikini Top/Beach Bag Straps:

Attach yarn to top first st of one triangle, ch 1, sc in each st across. (8 sc). Proceed to crochet 35 rows of sc on this side of bikini top, then the other triangle of this side of the bag.. THEN, do the same for the other side of beach bag, so that you will have 4 straps made of 35 rows of sc. Stitch together the 2 straps from one side of beach bag to form middle of one completed strap handle of one side of your bag. (See photo) Do the same for handle on second side of bag to finish.

Embellish bag to your own preference, with beads, trim, buttons, sequins, etc.

Have fun on the beach!


16 comments:

Beverooni said...

Totally cracked me up. I love it! I think I'll make one of these for my mother. She will get a big kick out of it. Thanks for the pattern!

Sherry said...

I LOVE IT!

Crochet Princess Beth said...

Oh My Gosh - that is so cute! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern! I've gotta make that one! And a purple one for my Mom!!!

Pink Slippers said...

Adorable and original
Wendy

Faith said...

You are sooooc creative.......this is so cute....but...I am done with bags, totes, purses and bags for while.....hee hee........

Faith

Susan from The T-Cozy said...

What a whimsical bag!!! Very clever.

Shana said...

That is so cute! Great idea!

Beansieleigh said...

To Everybody... Thank you! I'm so glad you all are liking this! If you make one, please do remember to show me how it came out! I'd love to see it! As it is, I need to make another one, myself, for a relative who's been asking for one! I'm not sure what colors to do hers in, maybe the same, but with different color/style beads??... so at least we can tell ours apart! (0:

char72 said...

Love all your pretty crocheted items, this post and previous ones too. I used to crochet and knit a lot when I was younger. Wait, I thought that was what old ladies were supposed to do. Not me. I did that when I was young. Now I blog. lol
Charlotte

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Charlotte! I started crocheting when I was around 9. Making a chain that stretched around my room, or fit like a bracelet.. either one was a big deal! I have LOVED it ever since! I was an artist in many ways right from the start. I loved coloring, then drawing, crocheting, then sewing (when I could get my mother's sewing machine to WORK! I finally bought my own brand new Sears Kenmore sewing machine when I was around 16.) Well... from there, I got married, and had kids.. yada yada yada.. and my dreams of anything in the field of art was lost... Hence I am indeed the "starving artist" you often hear about!! LOL! Now, of course, I LOVE my kids, but the fact remains I'm still an artist at heart, and I wish I could have taken more studies in that field. I could have at the very least taught it, right? (0; As things are, however, I am very happy when I make ANYTHING, even just at home in front of the computer, or while watching t.v.! A hat, a doll, a painted terra-cotta pot, an apron, a crocheted potholder, a beaded necklace, a plastic canvas magnet... It doesn't matter! I just find that thrill, and that pride, when I create something with my own imagination and my own two hands!... NOW.. Do I consider my craft to make ANY of us look OLD? SHHHH!!.. HECK, NO!!! Don't say THAT around here! I crochet, I blog, I still wear my hair long, and my shorts short! I love ALL kinds of music!!... I'm NEVER gonna be OLD!!.. not if I can help it anyway!! (0;

You should try your hand at crocheting again, when you get the time to. See if the right project sparks a born-again interest!

Actually, I think Faith and I are in agreement, though... I wouldn't start with the 8-pocket tote! Hold off on that one, for now, and maybe try it later! LOL

Thank you for stopping by!! (0;

Itajeff - Something To Share said...

You are so CREATIVE. Love it.

Lots of luv,
Ita

Beansieleigh said...

To Itajeff... Thank you!!.. and thanks so much for stopping by!

Pammy Sue said...

Oh my, your bikini bag is so cute! How creative of you! It's very nice.

Beansieleigh said...

To Pammy Sue.. Hi! Thanks! As I start looking to the summer season clothing I'm starting to wear again, it seemed like a good time to share this one with everybody.. Well... I'm from the Northeast, so I HOPE it was a good time, early enough, to share with everybody!

Yarnjeannie said...

This bag is cute! I'll have to try one - thanks for posting the pattern!

Beansieleigh said...

to Yarnjeannie.. Thank you! Now you try this, and I'll try some donuts!! They look like fun Christmas gifts to crochet for some sewing friends of mine! (0; Thanks for stopping by!