Friday, June 5, 2009

Beansie, Put The Kettle On

Today's a busy one. I don't mean to say that I'm doing anything to make history, or set world records, or anything quite as exciting as that; but it's just one of those days where I'm moving from one chore or project, right on to the next one!

As you can see, my garage-sale dolly, is getting the full pampering treatment. I'm not sure how much I can do to restore any kind of luster to her hair, but I'm trying. One tip I've read is to saturate it with fabric softener, then let it sit in there for some time. I put this in her hair yesterday afternoon. From there, there was a suggestion to steam the doll's hair, so Beansie put the kettle on, to do just that. I held her hair over the steam for about 5 minutes, and was seriously getting restless after this length of time, seeing this particular procedure was really making NO difference at all, not in this case anyway. It does not show in the photo necessarily, but Dear Dolly seems to also have an injured/lazy left eye for some reason. There is not much I can do for this, as far as i know, so thank goodness it is not TOO bad. As I am washing and conditioning her hair, it is very important not to do further damage to either of her eyes. I have to be very careful not to get water in them, or it can leave a damaging mildewy effect on them. If I was to make that mistake, it would be at least a 24 hour setback, because I would have to towel dry them as best I can, THEN leave her lying face down, for at least that long, to allow drainage of any further moisture! Now by tonight, I may try to start combing through her hair, to further assess what I'm working with, and what I may, or may not still need to do with it. This could very well be a difficult process, requiring a wire brush and/or comb. Most likely, this will NOT feel like pampering to poor Dolly anymore! In the meantime, I have been trying to decide on an outfit; and of course, I can't keep calling her "garage sale dolly", so I'd like to give her a name! She's going to deserve a real pretty one after what horrible hair-pulling she may be going through tonight!

Finally, I ran across a cute sewing project that also doubles as kind of a recycling project. I thought it was so cute, I had to get out all the materials I thought I might need to try it! My sewing machine is set up and ready to run! I should be able to post this by tomorrow, so stop back if you can, to see how it comes out! I'll post a link where you can try to make one too!

Oh, I wonder if Aunt PittyPat sees this.. I think she's going to know already what I'm making here! She's gonna be so-ooo proud of me too, if I do this right!!

14 comments:

Sherry said...

that is a great idea, i think i will try one!

Beansieleigh said...

Sherry!!.. LOL! Can't put anything by YOU, huh?! You already KNOW what I'm making here, or is it kinda OBVIOUS??? (0;

Shana said...

Ok I am not that bright or something...lol! Are you making one of the recycled blue jean bags?

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Shana!.. Nope!.. Wow, I'm going to have to make a real game of this sometime, with a real prize.. That would be fun, don't you think?!! (0;

Sherry said...

fun! nope nutin

Aunt Pitty Pat's Fun said...

LOL APP knows just what your making... Go to Booming Aprons last post and look at the awesome one she has posted. You just might want to jazz yours up like that one :)
BTW Is your dolly a Chatty Cathy??? She really does have a cute little face ;)
M

Beansieleigh said...

Sherry, if you're trying one too, then post it so I can see how yours came out too!

Beverooni said...

I think you should name her Rose and make beautiful rose-colored outfits for her for your pink days. Or maybe Lovey.

Are you doing a bag or an apron? I hope it's a bag. I love those blue jean bags.

Beansieleigh said...

To Aunt PittyPat... I'm already going full steam ahead on mine, but I'll check it out and see if I can fit a new idea or two in still! Thanks!... Nope, this is not a Chatty Cathy. This one's tag says "Our Generation". She is similarly sized like an American Girl doll, but a different maker/name-brand. Thanks for stopping, and if you get a chance take a peek tomorrow to see it done! (0;

Beansieleigh said...

To Beverooni.. Well, since I already confirmed it WASN'T a bag, then I'll come out with it already!!.. Yes it IS an apron! It really isn't too hard to do either, with the tutorial I got this from.... Now as for names, I like Lovey!.. I have heard that name before and it is VERY SWEET!! I just might go with that one! Thank you!!

LillySue said...

I can't wait to see your apron. I LOVE denim....I want to cut open some jeans and make pretty long skirts. Since I am not much of a sewer, this is a project I have been procrastinating on. I had never heard about using the fabric softener on the dolly hair. I will have to try that. I hope she tells you her name soon. Hopefully she won't call you any names when you take that wire brush to her head!!
Blessings~LillySue

Beansieleigh said...

To LillySue.. OH!! I just had an awful vision of CHUCKIE!!.. No!.. THIS dolly would NEVER do any such thing.. She's too sweet for that! I think she trusts me, and I promise to be as gentle as I possibly CAN be! (0; If I have to yank and pull THAT hard, there is another option/product I can try still.. Beyond that, though, I may have to start thinking a very short haircut, or a new doll wig, or a very nice HAT!!! Thanks for stopping by! If you do make those skirts let me know if you post them, so I can see them!

Michelle said...

That apron is just fantastic...what a clever idea...I can't wait to make one. Thank you for sharing that. Happy PS.

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Happy PINK to you! Thanks for visiting me..I'm always happy to see the PINK bloggers. ;0)

Love all of your pink and by the way to answer your question, NO, I didn't make the shawl..I received it in a barter exchange last year..It's really warm too!

Have a great week,
Stephanie